Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
Thread started 29 Jul 2012 (Sunday) 12:08
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Sunset and silhouettes

smyke
560 posts
Gallery: 18 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Oct 2010

Jul 29, 2012 12:08 |  #1

Here are few shots I took recently.

They could probably use better cropping but I wasnt sure.

Please tell me what you think.

IMAGE: http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7129/7629978588_0db324bbe9.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com/​photos/mszuminski/7629​978588/  (external link)
IMG_8478 (external link) by MSzuminski (external link), on Flickr

IMAGE: http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8283/7629978120_3c0fb29533.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com/​photos/mszuminski/7629​978120/  (external link)
IMG_8502 (external link) by MSzuminski (external link), on Flickr

IMAGE: http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8153/7629978950_a10b114f81.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com/​photos/mszuminski/7629​978950/  (external link)
IMG_8473 (external link) by MSzuminski (external link), on Flickr

Mike

Flickr (external link)
Gear

sponsored links
stanclark
Goldmember
1,143 posts
Joined Jan 2012

Jul 29, 2012 12:28 |  #2

#3 is over processed
#2 I would loose the bottom the weeds just smooth water and the reflections
#1 is a little flat

So if God made Man & Woman....whats his excuse for Nikon...

Croasdail
making stuff up
7,549 posts
Gallery: 12 photos
Joined Apr 2005

Jul 29, 2012 12:57 |  #3

I agree with Stan on 1...

number 2, nope, I would leave them in. Foreground adds scale and interest. Reflections alone are a dime a dozen.

3... not sure. Stan's comment that it is over processed has me thinking, but then again, what really good sunset shot isn't. You are shooting into the sun... with foreground content. Don't know. I like it, but as a "critique", I am really looking to see what others think.

Mark
Its by knowing and mastering all the rules that you learn which ones you can break.

imsellingmyfoot
Goldmember
1,026 posts
Gallery: 40 photos
Joined Apr 2011

Jul 29, 2012 13:01 |  #4

The first one isn't really doing anything for me.

I like the second one, but it is giving me the impression of a slightly tilted horizon. I like the soft blue, pink and purple. I would also get rid of the little light from the window in the center.

I really like the third one. I'd leave it how it is.

BLOG (external link)| flickr (external link) | Buy/Sell Feedback

Flo
Gimmie Some Lovin
44,987 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Jul 29, 2012 13:40 as a reply to  @ imsellingmyfoot's post |  #5

I like them all. The second I like best of all, the composition and the foreground are wonderful.

you're a great friend, but if Zombies chase us, I am tripping you.

smyke
THREAD ­ STARTER
560 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Jul 29, 2012 17:25 |  #6

Funny thing is they were barely processed. Sharpening and that's pretty much it.

First one is my least favorite too.

Thanks for your input.

Mike

Flickr (external link)
Gear

cgen1
834 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Jul 29, 2012 17:50 |  #7

I like the sky in #1 and #3. Beautiful colors and it looks like painting. I am not sure about #2 and I kind of agree with Stan about the foreground weeds and smoothing the surface of the water.

Claire
5D Mk2, 24-105L,17-40L, 50 1.8,100 2.8L, 70-200L 4.0 IS, 8-15L fisheye, Gitzo 1541T, Markins Q3 :lol:
Flickr (external link)

Northwoods ­ Bill
Goldmember
1,145 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined Jun 2012

Jul 29, 2012 20:02 |  #8

Leave the third was as is. I like how it looks like the sun is melting. The fact that there was little processing just goes to show what a spectacular show nature can give.

Bill R
Web:https://www.flickr.com​/photos/whitebirch/ (external link)

bernardxleon
191 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Mar 2012

Jul 29, 2012 21:12 |  #9

The second one is cool with the weeds but maybe just a little crop on the bottom/retouch would clean it up for me. The stuff on the bottom right kind of intrudes on the composition a bit.

The third one has awesome color, especially since you just sharpened. Are those models or random people? If they were posing for you then they could've been doing something a little more interesting, I'm thinking embracing. If it's just a shot of a couple then there's not much you can do unless you wanted to stalk them for a few minutes. lol

5D Mark III x 2 | Canon 35L | Canon 85L II | Canon 135L | Canon 24-70L II | 600 EX RT x 2 |

smyke
THREAD ­ STARTER
560 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Aug 04, 2012 08:27 |  #10

Bernard: they are my parents but they werent really posing. they just happened to go on the jetty when I was shooting so I snapped them.
I was a bit too far from them to yell directions with all the people around. :)

I do see now that the second one may be a bit crooked. I was going by the roof line and the little bridge on the left.
I will try to smoothe out the water.

Mike

Flickr (external link)
Gear

KirkS518
Goldmember
3,983 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Aug 04, 2012 10:48 as a reply to  @ smyke's post |  #11

Overall their nice, but not wow. Not saying they are bad at all, but like Maxwell Smart says, they 'missed it by that much'. Here are my nits/suggestions;

#1 - Clone out the little beach chair; see if you can warp the lifeguard stand to be straighter; add in a little bit of sun reflection into the water or lighten it up (water looks too dark/boring)

#2 - The out of level doesn't bother me as much as the horizon being dead center. I'd crop at the bottom, to just below the weed's reflection, as the lower stuff in the water is distracting a bit. Also see how it looks with a little of the left cropped, or maybe the right. I think cropping off the right to closer to the weed might look a tad better. But that said, it's actually my favorite of the three.

#3 - While the colors are wondrous for being sooc, the blown out sun really looks (IMO) bad. It's too blown to be appealing. I'd again crop some off the right (maybe to the left of that little peak?) to get your folks closer to the right 3rd of the frame. I think because they are silhouetted, and they're leaning against each other, that's enough to make one (me at least) envision they have an arm around each other, so I'm ok with the 'pose'.

Good work overall though!

If steroids are illegal for athletes, should PS be illegal for models?
Digital - 50D, 20D IR Conv, 9 Lenses from 8mm to 300mm
Analog - Mamiya RB67 Pro-SD, Canon A-1, Nikon F4S, YashicaMat 124G, Rollei 35S, QL17 GIII, Zeiss Ikon Ikoflex 1st Version, and and entire room full of lenses and other stuff

smyke
THREAD ­ STARTER
560 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Aug 04, 2012 11:15 |  #12

good suggestions Kirk.
I will try to apply those.

Mike

Flickr (external link)
Gear

sponsored links

2,557 views & 0 likes for this thread
Sunset and silhouettes
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.