Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Nikon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Nikon Cameras 
Thread started 05 Feb 2010 (Friday) 20:14
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Got a Nikon? Share your thoughts and photos here or ask a question! (II)

this thread is locked
dgrPhotos
Cream of the Crop
7,501 posts
Gallery: 38 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Apr 2011

Jul 29, 2012 13:20 |  #7561

K6AZ wrote in post #14785858 (external link)
The D7000 can't focus correctly? That's news to me and I own one! :lol:

I guess you don't remember all the attention the D7K got for focusing issues when it was released. Similar to what the D800 is going through now.

sponsored links
jetcode
Cream of the Crop
6,234 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Jul 29, 2012 13:28 |  #7562

rick_reno wrote in post #14785475 (external link)
Same with me, I've listed stuff here and gotten no interest. List it elsewhere for a little more money and it sells. Weird.

Ebay is international with a huge user base. So what are you shooting for lenses on your d800?

woos
Goldmember
2,224 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Jul 29, 2012 14:04 |  #7563

jetcode wrote in post #14786161 (external link)
Ebay is international with a huge user base. So what are you shooting for lenses on your d800?

*off topic* Yeah, but there are tricks to listing on e-bay, and some of the ones required to get top dollar require you to take a risk of it potentially selling extremely cheaply (it won't, but in theory it could happen). So like if you have a lens that's worth $400 used, and you put it up for $400, you may very well not get any interest. Put it up for a penny, no reserve, and it'll probably go for $425, lol. Also some older more obscure items may not get hits.

^_^

amanathia.zenfolio.com

beachbabe
Hatchling
7 posts
Joined Jul 2012

Jul 29, 2012 14:36 as a reply to  @ woos's post |  #7564

Hello Nikon people :D. So happy I have found this thread. I am new to the forum, so I have been browsing threads for about a week now overloading my brain with information and loving all the pictures I've seen. I currently have a canon rebel xs, but looking to make a huge upgrade to the nikon D7000 (D7k as you refer to it :)). I was reading a thread last night comparing the canon 7d and nikon D7k, but it seemed to be all canon lovers raving about the 7d, and making it out to be a better camera, talking about ergonomics of canon vs nikon, differences in the menu's, button locations, more expensive lens, etc (im sure you have seen what im referring to!). I have nothing (relatively) invested in canon products -the camera with kit lens, and a 55-200 lens- so I have nothing holding me to canon at this time. I went to my local photography store to look at the canon 7d and that is where I was introduced to the possibility of nikon. While I have known about it all along, it was never even a consideration until I held one. My mom is a canon lover, so that is what I was exposed to growing up. Even when I called her to tell her I was making the move, she was shocked and asked why...the whole deal you get from "closed minded canon people".
I would like to hear any experience anyone has with the D7k, and nikon in general. I am very new to the photography lingo, so if you could please start with the basics, that would be amazing! Thanks :)
Thanks!
PS- the canon vs nikon debate reminds me android vs iphone!!! NEVER ENDING!:rolleyes:

dgrPhotos
Cream of the Crop
7,501 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Jul 29, 2012 14:39 |  #7565

^^^ include what you like to shoot. Portraits/Sports/wildl​ife etc...

beachbabe
Hatchling
7 posts
Joined Jul 2012

Jul 29, 2012 14:50 |  #7566

dgrPhotos wrote in post #14786381 (external link)
^^^ include what you like to shoot. Portraits/Sports/wildl​ife etc...

Family Portraits, infants, buildings, landscapes, sunrise/sunsets and mainly our everyday life (we have 4 children).

dgrPhotos
Cream of the Crop
7,501 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Jul 29, 2012 15:01 |  #7567

beachbabe wrote in post #14786428 (external link)
Family Portraits, infants, buildings, landscapes, sunrise/sunsets and mainly our everyday life (we have 4 children).

That's nothing out of the reach of either the 7D or D7000.

Did you hold both cameras? Between those two cameras I prefer the ergonomics do the 7D just because it's bigger. I prefer the IQ of the D7000 which will have better dynamic range and higher iso performance. For what you shoot the D7000 might be the better choice. The 7D exceeds with it's speed.

Another thing to consider is which lenses you would like to buy. Look at both lineups and see which you may prefer. Don't know what budget you had in mind but both systems have a large lineup to choose from.

beachbabe
Hatchling
7 posts
Joined Jul 2012

Jul 29, 2012 15:26 |  #7568

dgrPhotos wrote in post #14786469 (external link)
That's nothing out of the reach of either the 7D or D7000.

Did you hold both cameras? Between those two cameras I prefer the ergonomics do the 7D just because it's bigger. I prefer the IQ of the D7000 which will have better dynamic range and higher iso performance. For what you shoot the D7000 might be the better choice. The 7D exceeds with it's speed.

Another thing to consider is which lenses you would like to buy. Look at both lineups and see which you may prefer. Don't know what budget you had in mind but both systems have a large lineup to choose from.

Thank you for your unbiased repsonse! I will check out the lens lineups.

dgrPhotos
Cream of the Crop
7,501 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Jul 29, 2012 15:34 |  #7569

No problem, if you have any specific questions just shoot. People around here love to give advice.

beachbabe
Hatchling
7 posts
Joined Jul 2012

Jul 29, 2012 15:50 |  #7570

Im looking at spending $1400 for the camera and kit lens. What would be a good alternative to buying the body and a good starter lens? I was looking at the sigma 50-150 lens at the store, while staying in that price range.

jetcode
Cream of the Crop
6,234 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Jul 29, 2012 16:09 |  #7571

woos wrote in post #14786268 (external link)
*off topic* Yeah, but there are tricks to listing on e-bay, and some of the ones required to get top dollar require you to take a risk of it potentially selling extremely cheaply (it won't, but in theory it could happen). So like if you have a lens that's worth $400 used, and you put it up for $400, you may very well not get any interest. Put it up for a penny, no reserve, and it'll probably go for $425, lol. Also some older more obscure items may not get hits.

^_^

I sold mine with a $1 start price. Lots of fun bidding on the camera because it appears to be attainable for a much wider audience. Works great on hot commodities and doesn't for items that collects dust. Been there.

rick_reno
Cream of the Crop
44,642 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Jul 29, 2012 18:28 |  #7572

jetcode wrote in post #14786161 (external link)

14-24

MikeFairbanks
Cream of the Crop
6,428 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Jul 29, 2012 18:30 |  #7573

dgrPhotos wrote in post #14785707 (external link)
Just picked up a D5100 and I really like it. It's like having a D7000 that can focus correctly. :p

Start posting shots. I'm considering buying this camera (5100) but am on the fence. I've heard (or read) reports of some of them malfunctioning in the first few weeks, but I don't know the validity of those claims.

I have, however, read the reviews on image quality and nobody is knocking a thing about it. DPreview says it's the best image quality they've ever seen from an APS-C camera.

To use the word "ever" is pretty significant.

If it's solidly built like my T2i has been, I'm really into it. And other sites are showing that my T2i at 720 ISO is comparable to the D5100's at 1200. Since I'm really satisfied with the T2i at ISO 800 and most of the time at 1600, it might be reasonable that the Nikon's 3200 is pleasing.

I also know that the 5100 focuses faster than my T2i and barely makes any noise when the shutter releases. My t2i is loud.

Thank you. bw!

MikeFairbanks
Cream of the Crop
6,428 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Jul 29, 2012 18:36 |  #7574

beachbabe wrote in post #14786653 (external link)
Im looking at spending $1400 for the camera and kit lens. What would be a good alternative to buying the body and a good starter lens? I was looking at the sigma 50-150 lens at the store, while staying in that price range.

Have you considered the D5100? It has the same sensor and (from my understanding) the same autofocus as the bigger model, but by purchasing the body for roughly 600 you have a lot left over for lenses, etc.

Best Buy does some package deals that aren't too bad.

That whole Nikon vs. Canon debate is silly on a whole level. Both make great products. It's when you get to the camera-to-camera level that the debate is fair. Each can have advantages over the other.

Once you hit full frame, they are both gold.

Thank you. bw!

K6AZ
Cream of the Crop
10,250 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Nov 2008

Jul 29, 2012 18:51 |  #7575

dgrPhotos wrote in post #14786138 (external link)
I guess you don't remember all the attention the D7K got for focusing issues when it was released. Similar to what the D800 is going through now.

I was shooting Canon when it was released. By time I bought one back in March it had been out for well over a year, maybe two. Mine focuses perfectly and that includes the 3D. For that matter my D800 has no focusing issues either and it's a very early serial number.

Flickr (external link)

sponsored links

766,416 views & 0 likes for this thread
Got a Nikon? Share your thoughts and photos here or ask a question! (II)
FORUMS Nikon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Nikon Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.