Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Transportation Talk 
Thread started 21 Apr 2008 (Monday) 10:35
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Official Automotive Rigs - DIY Thread

StE823
430 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Jul 29, 2012 00:33 |  #7471

Go away!

http://www.shutterlit.​com (external link)

sponsored links
GFWilliams
190 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Jul 29, 2012 04:26 |  #7472

I'm going to have to go out and beat that now Andrew...

You need to close your windows on your rig shots btw :P

GFWilliams Automotive Photography (external link)

VisualEchos
Goldmember
1,680 posts
Gallery: 12 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Feb 2010

Jul 29, 2012 08:16 |  #7473

StE823 wrote in post #14784304 (external link)
Go away!

I'm takin' that as a compliment, regardless of how it was meant :p.

GFWilliams wrote in post #14784844 (external link)
I'm going to have to go out and beat that now Andrew...

You need to close your windows on your rig shots btw :P

Easy cheese for you George. Oh, and on most cars I like the windows up in most situations, but on the Lotus they egg-crate really bad because they're super thing, and on rig-shots I always like to see the interior/driver/hands/​steering-wheel, as I feel they add interest and believability to the shot :).

~Andrew from Rig-Pro (external link) Gallery (external link)

GFWilliams
190 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Jul 29, 2012 10:17 |  #7474

Quick edit for the window...

IMAGE: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4824599/lotuswindow.jpg

DoubleX
Mostly Lurking
13 posts
Joined Sep 2011

Jul 29, 2012 10:50 |  #7475

Gheybe wrote in post #14778681 (external link)
I haven't had a car to shoot in so long.. Getting that C6 Z06 you saw andrew, was a hassle. I hate not being in my town. Ugh. My car gets back today though!!!!! Rigging the vert should be interesting. First time on my car.

I'd like to see how you do that as I have a vert as well. The side shot and high shots I think I get, but I'd like to do something more head on but higher then mounting on the hood....if at all possible. Any examples out there?

~DoubleX
D2x - lots of f2.8 glass

DoubleX
Mostly Lurking
13 posts
Joined Sep 2011

Jul 29, 2012 10:54 |  #7476

Another dumb question...do you have someone meet you at your shot location with a ladder, the boom, equipment, etc? Just wondering how you get high shots like this by yourself.

~DoubleX
D2x - lots of f2.8 glass

VisualEchos
Goldmember
1,680 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Jul 29, 2012 11:35 |  #7477

DoubleX wrote in post #14785646 (external link)
Another dumb question...do you have someone meet you at your shot location with a ladder, the boom, equipment, etc? Just wondering how you get high shots like this by yourself.

Yes, my wife, whom you see driving, follows me to the shoot location with the ladder, tripod, and rig equipment. I used to do it all myself, what a PITA, fun, but still hard. Much easier this way :cool:.

Ken ­ Cravillion
448 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Jul 29, 2012 16:51 |  #7478

Nice shot, Andrew. Where was the rig mounted?

Ken Cravillion http://www.kgcphoto.co​m (external link)
Carbon Fiber Rig!
Whole list of gear

Nismode
Goldmember
1,753 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Jul 29, 2012 20:15 |  #7479

Ken Cravillion wrote in post #14786837 (external link)

It would be nice if people would actually share how they did these shots, maybe post a before shot with the rig in place, exposure/filter info. It is the DIY thread after all lol

flickr (external link)|ModelMayhem (external link)|Instagram (external link)
6D2|6D|EOS M5|Mavic Air
EF-M 22 f/2|EF-M 15-45 IS|Rokinon 12 f/2 (EF-M)|Rokinon 50 f/1.2 (EF-M)
Σ 12-24mm II|40mm f/2.8 STM|50mm f/1.8 STM|50mm f/1.4|85mm f/1.8|70-200 f/4 L IS
Godox AD-200 (x2)|V860 II (x2)|TT350c
Everything's for sale for the right price ;)

mjagiellicz
61 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Jul 30, 2012 04:12 as a reply to  @ Nismode's post |  #7480

I have little doubt and that's why I have question..
How do you handle different intensity of light? Sometimes I have problem with good exposure. I use CPL and ND8 ( ND32 is on the way ). Maybe what mode to use in the camera? Full M ? or maybe Av, Tv ?
Do You use light meter?
Thanks in advance for Your reply ;)

Marcin Jagiellicz Photography - https://facebook.com/m​jagiellicz (external link)

VisualEchos
Goldmember
1,680 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Jul 30, 2012 07:20 |  #7481

Ken Cravillion wrote in post #14786837 (external link)

One cup on the front windscreen, all the way down near the wiper, the other on the top of the car, beside the spine.

Nismode wrote in post #14787593 (external link)
It would be nice if people would actually share how they did these shots, maybe post a before shot with the rig in place, exposure/filter info. It is the DIY thread after all lol

DIY isn't about telling people how you did your shot, DIY is about doing it yourself. If you want before/afters there is a thread for that :). Also, most questions about how rig-shots are done can be answered in the first 5 minutes of doing a rig-shot, so there is no real need to get so involved with this or that shutter speed or aperture, etc., you'll figure it out easily, and should have fun doing it.

Ken ­ Cravillion
448 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Jul 30, 2012 14:15 |  #7482

Thanks. I had a guess but wanted to check.

Ken Cravillion http://www.kgcphoto.co​m (external link)
Carbon Fiber Rig!
Whole list of gear

Dom87SS
823 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Jul 30, 2012 19:47 |  #7483

VisualEchos wrote in post #14785214 (external link)
Easy cheese for you George. Oh, and on most cars I like the windows up in most situations, but on the Lotus they egg-crate really bad because they're super thing, and on rig-shots I always like to see the interior/driver/hands/​steering-wheel, as I feel they add interest and believability to the shot :).

I do like windows up as well for most automotive shots, but the angles and shots you have i like them down for the exact reason you mentioned. Rig shots, to me, in general look good with clariry on the driver compartment if it is visibal. If that be a window down or a CPL to help out it adds more to the shot.

5D MKIII +grip, 7D+ grip, 50D+grip, Canon 10-22mm, Canon 17-85mm,Canon 70-200mm II IS f2.8L, Canon 24-105mm, Canon 50mm 1.8 II, Canon100mm f2.8 Macro, (2)Canon 580ex II, Canon Extender 1.4x II, (2) AB1600's

My Pics - http://drd-photos.smugmug.com/ (external link)

VisualEchos
Goldmember
1,680 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Jul 30, 2012 20:50 |  #7484

Dom87SS wrote in post #14792436 (external link)
I do like windows up as well for most automotive shots, but the angles and shots you have i like them down for the exact reason you mentioned. Rig shots, to me, in general look good with clariry on the driver compartment if it is visibal. If that be a window down or a CPL to help out it adds more to the shot.

You will see the argument that with the window open it draws the eye to the static part of the shot, effectively slowing it down, and this is true, but again, it's all in what you're after. Sometimes I have the driver move the hands, giving motion to the inside, which I did here, but it didn't work, so I kept the static interior.

Closed window: more sense of speed
Open window: more detail
Open window with moving hands/face: top shot (if you can make it work).

GFWilliams
190 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Jul 31, 2012 14:12 as a reply to  @ VisualEchos's post |  #7485

Went to look for some new locations today and decided to do some rig shots on my Mini...

IMAGE: http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8160/7686020944_7f1e146c12_b.jpg

IMAGE: http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7260/7686020526_e81a65ce89_b.jpg

Amazed they're sharp tbh as I was alone, engine on, using interval timer and it was REALLY windy. Both shots edited from one shot (no static overlay) and pin sharp at 100% throughout the car.

sponsored links

3,705,165 views & 528 likes for this thread
Official Automotive Rigs - DIY Thread
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Transportation Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.