Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 25 Jul 2012 (Wednesday) 02:44
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Gary Fong: Wedding Photographer Who Did A Great Job Threatened with 300k Lawsuit

rjharris
965 posts
Gallery: 70 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Mar 2010

Jul 29, 2012 15:35 |  #61

Lesson number 1. Don't shoot wedding's for attorney's, end of class. JK

sponsored links
elrey2375
Thinks it's irresponsible
4,992 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Nov 2011

Jul 29, 2012 16:54 |  #62

PhotogNY wrote in post #14786279 (external link)
It's pretty easy to verify if you have the guy's name:

http://www.mywsba.org/​default.aspx?tabid=177 (external link)

Hopefully someone can get Gary to give either a "YES" or a "NO". He also talks about waiting to see if the suit is filed yet, but most courts have that kind of info available instantly on-line. Not sure why Gary didn't look into this one step further.

He did in fact update it in the comments. The suit was filed.

http://emjfotografi.co​m/ (external link)
http://500px.com/EMJFo​tografi (external link)

IShootThings
I thought I was special.......
2,032 posts
Joined May 2009

Jul 29, 2012 17:09 |  #63

If you have facebook, look up NELSON TANG. His work sure isn't bad...

Canon 5D3, Canon XTI (IR converted), 24-70 f2.8L, 16-35 f4L, 50 1.4, 70-200 f2.8L, 100 2.8 macro, 430 ex & 580 exII speedlights.

gotak
949 posts
Joined May 2009

Jul 29, 2012 17:25 |  #64

IShootThings wrote in post #14786892 (external link)
If you have facebook, look up NELSON TANG. His work sure isn't bad...

It's not really great photographers either. I can see someone feeling ripped off after the fact if they see something better advertised for less.

I don't think we should jump to conclusion. Yes often life is stranger than fiction but often when there's smoke there's fire. No one here has all the facts. Even GF is only telling one side of the story. For all we know there's no client and it's hoax. Or some other strange situation in reality.

http://bubble-trees.com/ (external link)
7D x2,, 50 f1.8, 11-16 f2.8, 17-55 f2.8, 70-200 f2.8 IS II, 100 2.8L, 430EX, 580EX, Di866, pixel king wireless TTL trigger.

RDKirk
Adorama says I'm "packed."
12,997 posts
Joined May 2004

Jul 29, 2012 18:43 |  #65

It's not really great photographers either. I can see someone feeling ripped off after the fact if they see something better advertised for less.

Well, that's certainly no reason for a lawsuit! Nor, for that matter, should they feel ripped off.

c2thew
Goldmember
3,929 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Jul 29, 2012 19:33 |  #66

Time to do some internet justice: let's get this story on reddit.

Flickr (external link) |Gear|The-Digital-Picture (external link)|The $6 mic | MAGIC LANTERN (external link) | Welding Filter
Go Support Magic Lantern 2.3!!

gotak
949 posts
Joined May 2009

Jul 29, 2012 21:46 |  #67

RDKirk wrote in post #14787232 (external link)
Well, that's certainly no reason for a lawsuit! Nor, for that matter, should they feel ripped off.

I am not suggesting the simple feeling of getting less then what you can get else where means there should be be a lawsuit. However, if the photographer were to say get business by using images not of his own work and the couple then finds the end results to be totally different. There might be a case in there. Not in the way this "lawyer" is going about it.

Anyhow before everyone bay for blood lets see what finally shakes out of this story.

http://bubble-trees.com/ (external link)
7D x2,, 50 f1.8, 11-16 f2.8, 17-55 f2.8, 70-200 f2.8 IS II, 100 2.8L, 430EX, 580EX, Di866, pixel king wireless TTL trigger.

RDKirk
Adorama says I'm "packed."
12,997 posts
Joined May 2004

Jul 29, 2012 21:53 |  #68

gotak wrote in post #14788042 (external link)
I am not suggesting the simple feeling of getting less then what you can get else where means there should be be a lawsuit. However, if the photographer were to say get business by using images not of his own work and the couple then finds the end results to be totally different. There might be a case in there. Not in the way this "lawyer" is going about it.

Anyhow before everyone bay for blood lets see what finally shakes out of this story.

You're obfuscating the issue. Will all the accusations in the letter, that wasn't even mentioned.

ralignay
29 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Jul 29, 2012 22:05 |  #69

Hearing this letter made my head hurt...multiple times. The comments say that it's already on reddit, but I can't seem to find it.

Canon 60D Gripped | Canon 24-70mm f/2.8L | Canon 18-135mm IS | Canon 50mm f/1.8 II | Canon 24mm f/2.8 | Canon 430EX II
Canon m50 | Canon 15-45mm | Canon 11-22mm | Canon 32mm
Flickr (external link) | 500px (external link) | Marketplace Feedback

GARY ­ FONG
Hatchling
6 posts
Joined Jul 2012

Jul 29, 2012 22:28 |  #70

Hi all -

I'm as eager as you are to give the name of the attorney. I can tell you that he's vietnamese, in Seattle and is a real estate attorney. Beyond that, I have to wait until the photographer gets an OK from his counsel as he's going to fight this. The photographer's name is Nelson Tang, and he works for a non-profit. His work on that wedding is really good. I saw it and am planning to testify as to their quality. When he gets the OK from his attorney, he'll post the images online.

Thanks for the interest in this. I'm taking a huge interest myself on this because with all of the chatter on the bride's wedding forums about how to get a better deal from the photographer, can you imagine what will happen if this client is successful? Everybody would go after their photographers for huge amounts, claiming "intentional infliction of emotional distress".

One really huge thing that caused this issue, is the couple asked for all of the images, SOOC in RAW format, as they claimed to be adept at Lightroom and parsing RAW files. So, as per their understanding, he just burned straight from the CF cards. There were images where the flash didn't go off, out of focus, etc. which were corrected in say, shot #3, but the jerk client is using those outtakes as examples of incompetency.

Thanks for spreading the word, and I'll keep you all posted.

Gary Fong

GARY ­ FONG
Hatchling
6 posts
Joined Jul 2012

Jul 29, 2012 22:34 |  #71

Oh also, with regards with the client not being an attorney, he is the principal of a one-person law firm. He says on the letter that he's a partner, but that's interesting because in his "real estate" law website, it's all him. Also as an update, he served the photographer with a complaint, a proposed default order, but there is no court stamp and there's no date, nor is there a summons. This is clearly a scare tactic, as it made the photographer run to seek legal counsel. Also, if you'll recall in the letter, the attorney said that he would hire a SEO expert to make sure that the name NELSON TANG is soiled as a photographer. If you all could do a favor and maybe post, or tweet about NELSON TANG PHOTOGRAPHER and have the words, "bullied by client/attorney for $300,000", then if this bozo does come through on his threat, there will be tons of opinions on the buffoon attorney ranking way above his.

GARY ­ FONG
Hatchling
6 posts
Joined Jul 2012

Jul 29, 2012 22:39 |  #72

elrey2375 wrote in post #14786844 (external link)
He did in fact update it in the comments. The suit was filed.

We all thought the suit was filed, as Nelson was served with a complaint, proposed default order, etc. On further examination, I noticed that there was no court stamp certifying that the service papers were a conformed copy, nor was there a summons included.

So it was, in a way, a "counterfeit" lawsuit of sorts. It appears to be one, and by the way it was handled (process server coming from an attorney), it appeared the case was live.

I am now nineteen years in continuous litigation in trials. I've seen many, many lawsuits in those years, so I know things that the normal lay person might not know. Still, Nelson is seeking advice from Counsel, as he should. I'll keep you all posted, to be sure.

Gary Fong

RAW ­ RAW ­ RAW
461 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Jul 29, 2012 22:58 |  #73

I am sure that Nelson is considering suing the "lawyer" for harassment, intimidation, extortion etc......I suggest a good place to start would be.....ahhh....$300,00​0....

I am itching to see this resolves. I don't think Nelson has too much to worry about given the two letters Gary read out.

Old ­ Coot
295 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Jul 29, 2012 23:33 as a reply to  @ RAW RAW RAW's post |  #74

Welcome aboard, Mr. Fong! Has Mr. Tang got a legal defense fund set up anywhere? I would gladly kick in a few bucks to help offset his out of pocket expenses for defending himself against this harassment.

5d | 50d | 1d mii | Rebel G 35mm | Polaroid 100, 210, 360 | Bigma | Tokina 80-200 | Promaster 19-35 | 580ex | Olde Tyme Novatron strobes

Lunajen
Goldmember
1,635 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Jul 29, 2012 23:49 |  #75

GARY FONG wrote in post #14788264 (external link)
Hi all -

I'm as eager as you are to give the name of the attorney. I can tell you that he's vietnamese, in Seattle and is a real estate attorney. Beyond that, I have to wait until the photographer gets an OK from his counsel as he's going to fight this. The photographer's name is Nelson Tang, and he works for a non-profit. His work on that wedding is really good. I saw it and am planning to testify as to their quality. When he gets the OK from his attorney, he'll post the images online.

Thanks for the interest in this. I'm taking a huge interest myself on this because with all of the chatter on the bride's wedding forums about how to get a better deal from the photographer, can you imagine what will happen if this client is successful? Everybody would go after their photographers for huge amounts, claiming "intentional infliction of emotional distress".

One really huge thing that caused this issue, is the couple asked for all of the images, SOOC in RAW format, as they claimed to be adept at Lightroom and parsing RAW files. So, as per their understanding, he just burned straight from the CF cards. There were images where the flash didn't go off, out of focus, etc. which were corrected in say, shot #3, but the jerk client is using those outtakes as examples of incompetency.

Thanks for spreading the word, and I'll keep you all posted.

Gary Fong

I had a wedding that was similar to this, though they didn't sue, they did try to come down on the price. I was contacted two weeks before the wedding, bride never spoke to me till day of the wedding, father of the bride is "photographer" too as well as the bride.....never told me who was family other than the ones I knew of. Of course I did the dumbest thing ever.....I had taken this knowing that they were my parents next door neighbor. Their basic modus operandi is to get something for as cheap as possible and then complain till they get it for free.

She wanted the RAWS of all of the shots and then didn't want to pay me. She got basic edits of the best in jpeg.

Anyway, I have come a long way since then and learned A. Don't take a wedding two weeks before a wedding b/c they wanted a better deal, B. Never book a friend of the family.

Good luck to Nelson.....

Website (external link).Flickr (external link)
Twitter (external link)Facebook (external link)

sponsored links

70,277 views & 0 likes for this thread
Gary Fong: Wedding Photographer Who Did A Great Job Threatened with 300k Lawsuit
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.