Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Nikon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Nikon Cameras 
Thread started 05 Feb 2010 (Friday) 20:14
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Got a Nikon? Share your thoughts and photos here or ask a question! (II)

this thread is locked
tipidsale
331 posts
Joined Sep 2011

Jul 29, 2012 23:07 |  #7576

@K6AZ
The first time I emailed Nikon regarding the left focusing issues they said they dont have the fix for that yet. Last week emailed them again and asked if fix is available already, I was asked to send my unit to Nikon.
THen I read this at Nikon rumours, "Nikon is close to sending a repair advisory about the D800 left focusing issue. It is a quick fix in the repair center but they are monitoring the amount of cases reported through the European Support Office. Well worth contacting Nikon if your camera has this problem. There have been plenty of reports already sent to the support center, but they have to hit a certain percentage of the total bodies produced in order for Nikon to announce a repair advisory."

sponsored links
jetcode
Cream of the Crop
6,234 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Jul 29, 2012 23:17 |  #7577

rick_reno wrote in post #14787175 (external link)
14-24

wow bet that's fun ... so many lenses so little time

K6AZ
Cream of the Crop
10,250 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Nov 2008

Jul 29, 2012 23:30 |  #7578

tipidsale wrote in post #14788416 (external link)
@K6AZ
The first time I emailed Nikon regarding the left focusing issues they said they dont have the fix for that yet. Last week emailed them again and asked if fix is available already, I was asked to send my unit to Nikon.
THen I read this at Nikon rumours, "Nikon is close to sending a repair advisory about the D800 left focusing issue. It is a quick fix in the repair center but they are monitoring the amount of cases reported through the European Support Office. Well worth contacting Nikon if your camera has this problem. There have been plenty of reports already sent to the support center, but they have to hit a certain percentage of the total bodies produced in order for Nikon to announce a repair advisory."

I was responding to focusing issues on the D7000. I am aware that some D800 bodies have the left focusing issue but it only seems to affect some bodies. Mine has not shown those issues.

Flickr (external link)

K6AZ
Cream of the Crop
10,250 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Nov 2008

Jul 29, 2012 23:31 |  #7579

BTW, has anyone looked at the Zeiss 15mm sample images? I'm sure glad I don't need to shoot at 15mm (other than the fisheye) or I would be seriously tempted.

Flickr (external link)

jetcode
Cream of the Crop
6,234 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Jul 30, 2012 00:23 |  #7580

I have looked at the 15 but what is more interesting for me is the 25/2.

tipidsale
331 posts
Joined Sep 2011

Jul 30, 2012 01:19 |  #7581

K6AZ wrote in post #14788478 (external link)
I was responding to focusing issues on the D7000. I am aware that some D800 bodies have the left focusing issue but it only seems to affect some bodies. Mine has not shown those issues.

Glad your unit has a clean bill of health.

dgrPhotos
Cream of the Crop
7,501 posts
Gallery: 38 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Apr 2011

Jul 30, 2012 04:09 |  #7582

MikeFairbanks wrote in post #14787184 (external link)
Start posting shots. I'm considering buying this camera (5100) but am on the fence. I've heard (or read) reports of some of them malfunctioning in the first few weeks, but I don't know the validity of those claims.

I have, however, read the reviews on image quality and nobody is knocking a thing about it. DPreview says it's the best image quality they've ever seen from an APS-C camera.

To use the word "ever" is pretty significant.

If it's solidly built like my T2i has been, I'm really into it. And other sites are showing that my T2i at 720 ISO is comparable to the D5100's at 1200. Since I'm really satisfied with the T2i at ISO 800 and most of the time at 1600, it might be reasonable that the Nikon's 3200 is pleasing.

I also know that the 5100 focuses faster than my T2i and barely makes any noise when the shutter releases. My t2i is loud.

I did...

https://photography-on-the.net …p=14777909&post​count=7537
https://photography-on-the.net …p=14778867&post​count=7539

dgrPhotos
Cream of the Crop
7,501 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Jul 30, 2012 04:11 |  #7583

K6AZ wrote in post #14787258 (external link)
I was shooting Canon when it was released. By time I bought one back in March it had been out for well over a year, maybe two. Mine focuses perfectly and that includes the 3D. For that matter my D800 has no focusing issues either and it's a very early serial number.

You know I got mine Day 1 and 22K actuation's later it's still performing as expected.

Regarding the D7000 I only had issues with 1 lens and that was the 70-200. It required a -20 MA and I went through a couple bodies and lenses to see if it was a specific copy that was causing the issue. They were all the same when I tested it.

dgrPhotos
Cream of the Crop
7,501 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Jul 30, 2012 04:13 |  #7584

tipidsale wrote in post #14788416 (external link)
@K6AZ

You're the first person I heard on POTN saying they have this issue. It's seems to be less common here but it is a Canon forum.

dgrPhotos
Cream of the Crop
7,501 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Jul 30, 2012 04:34 |  #7585

beachbabe wrote in post #14786653 (external link)
Im looking at spending $1400 for the camera and kit lens. What would be a good alternative to buying the body and a good starter lens? I was looking at the sigma 50-150 lens at the store, while staying in that price range.

The Sigma 50-150 would be a very good choice. Couple that with a D5100 and you'll be pushing $1700. Other options would be the 18-200 (DX) 18-300 (FX) or 28-300 (FX) lenses. These are your super zooms that perform well and are very useful if you don't plan on building a lens collection.

You said you had an xsi so I'm assuming you're taking that next step in gear. A D7000 + the 50/1.8G would be a great starter set assuming you will invest in a wide angle and telephoto down the road. Until then zoom with your feet! ;)

tipidsale
331 posts
Joined Sep 2011

Jul 30, 2012 04:49 |  #7586

@dgr
I am bringing my unit to Nikon this Thursday. I will be romancing with my NEX5 IR for now that I won't be having my D800. The important thing is they will fix it, hopefully recalibrate everything and one important thing is CLEAN THE POOPY SENSOR!

dgrPhotos
Cream of the Crop
7,501 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Jul 30, 2012 07:01 |  #7587

tipidsale wrote in post #14789157 (external link)
@dgr
I am bringing my unit to Nikon this Thursday. I will be romancing with my NEX5 IR for now that I won't be having my D800. The important thing is they will fix it, hopefully recalibrate everything and one important thing is CLEAN THE POOPY SENSOR!

No doubt Nikon has passed the info down to the proper service centers. Shouldn't be an issue as soon as you get it.

They normally clean it as well but for the future these work well with the Eclipse cleaning solution:
http://www.amazon.com …ywords=type+3+s​ensor+swab (external link)

peter_n
Goldmember
2,451 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Apr 2010

Jul 30, 2012 10:04 |  #7588

beachbabe wrote in post #14786653 (external link)
Im looking at spending $1400 for the camera and kit lens.

At the risk of drawing some wrath (from here as well as your mom) I'd suggest looking at a quality mirrorless camera as well. I recently got a Sony NEX-7 and can't believe the IQ. The electronic viewfinder is amazing, it has a 24.3Mp APS-C sensor, it does HD video, and the camera with kit lens (effective focal length 27-82.5mm) sells for $1348.00 at B&H. It's so much smaller and handier than a DSLR & I'm really taken with it.

~Peter

jetcode
Cream of the Crop
6,234 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Jul 30, 2012 11:11 |  #7589

Absolutely no doubt we are enjoying the effects of a digital revolution that is long past infancy. My first digital camera was a Fuji 2.1mp point and shoot. I bought it in 1999 for $800.

David ­ Arbogast
Cream of the Crop
11,456 posts
Gallery: 36 photos
Joined Aug 2010

Jul 30, 2012 13:18 |  #7590

K6AZ wrote in post #14788482 (external link)
BTW, has anyone looked at the Zeiss 15mm sample images? I'm sure glad I don't need to shoot at 15mm (other than the fisheye) or I would be seriously tempted.

I know what you mean. It seems to me that with their two latest releases (2/25mm and 2.8/15mm) Zeiss is really stepping up their game. Ultra sharp lenses with minimal easy-to-correct barrel distortion and almost no aberrations.

I've been shooting my Nikon-mount 2/25mm on the 5D III and it has been really nice to learn from personal experience how much more important good glass is over a camera body. Images shot with the lens look the same to me whether it's mounted to a Nikon D800 or a 5D III.

David | Flickr (external link)
Sony α7R II | CV 12mm, FE 12-24mm, Loxia 21mm, Loxia 35mm, Sigma 35mm F/1.2, Loxia 85mm, Batis 85mm, Batis 135mm

sponsored links

766,419 views & 0 likes for this thread
Got a Nikon? Share your thoughts and photos here or ask a question! (II)
FORUMS Nikon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Nikon Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.