Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 29 Jul 2012 (Sunday) 23:45
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Best lens to shoot car? (Out of what I have)

tsong
267 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Jul 29, 2012 23:45 |  #1

I'm doing my first real car shoot in a few days so I'm wondering what lens is best to use? It's not a pro shoot, just doing it for my cousin who's been working on his car for the past year who's finally gotten it to a point he'd like to have quality photos of.

I have a 5Dc, 35mm f/2, and 50mm f/1.8 MKi and access to my brother's 30D and 24-105L.

I was thinking if I use the 24-105, I could stay in 70-105mm range at f/4 to get the bokeh that I see in other car shot examples, but I haven't had a chance to test it out yet so I don't know if that holds true.

I use the 35mm all the time so I know it really well, but I do wanna get some bokeh shots with a nice background. The 35 would be good for a generally sharp photo of the car, and small details since it's basically a macro due to the focus range imo.

I'm not quite sure about the 50mm since I haven't used it in forever.

I do have a CPL for the 35 and 50 though, but coming from more experienced auto shooters, I'm just wondering what would you use more?

sponsored links
Ilovetheleafs
Raising uninteresting to new levels
907 posts
Gallery: 20 photos
Joined Jul 2011

Jul 29, 2012 23:47 |  #2

how about take your 5Dc, the 35mm and have the 30D with the 24-105L in a camera bag/hung over your shoulder so that way you can switch to whatever you need at the moment?

Canon Rebel XS gripped, Canon 18 - 55mm, Sigma 18 - 200mm f3.5 - f6.3 DC OS HSM,Sigma 50mm f1.4 Olympus TG-810 Tough, LowePro Classified 160AW, Canon 430EX II Flash, Kata E-702

tsong
THREAD ­ STARTER
267 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Jul 29, 2012 23:50 |  #3

I'm already taking all the gear, I just wanna see what others with possible experience may recommend.

Ilovetheleafs
907 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Jul 29, 2012 23:52 |  #4

true enough. I wasn't sure and just thought I'd recommend having both bodies at the ready so that way you can switch on the fly :) also it might be a good idea to include a hot shoe flash, just to give you more flexibility.

Canon Rebel XS gripped, Canon 18 - 55mm, Sigma 18 - 200mm f3.5 - f6.3 DC OS HSM,Sigma 50mm f1.4 Olympus TG-810 Tough, LowePro Classified 160AW, Canon 430EX II Flash, Kata E-702

tsong
THREAD ­ STARTER
267 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Jul 29, 2012 23:57 |  #5

Haha, got that covered too, have my 580EX and Sigma with my RF-603's ready. Saving those for possible night shots, but gonna try to make the most out of the Southern California sunlight

maverick75
Cream of the Crop
5,718 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined May 2012

Jul 29, 2012 23:58 |  #6

Shot a car with my 50(80mm equivalent) today and It did not like it, I'd stay wide.

- Alex Corona Sony A7, Canon 7DM2/EOS M, Mamiya 645/67
Flickr (external link) - 500px (external link) - Website (external link)- Feedback -Feedback

tsong
THREAD ­ STARTER
267 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Jul 30, 2012 00:03 |  #7

Hm... I have actually shot a car with the 50 on the 30D... I think I know what you mean

Ilovetheleafs
907 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Jul 30, 2012 00:14 |  #8

hey tsong I've got a question for you, which of the two flashes between the RF-603 and the 580EX would you go for? I'm only asking as I'm in severe need of a flash

tsong
THREAD ­ STARTER
267 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Jul 30, 2012 00:43 |  #9

RF-603's are the wireless triggers, they're made by Yongnuo...

I personally would not recommend getting into flash photography if you haven't mastered your gear in natural light photography, but of course to each his own.

I would recommend flashes by Yongnuo if you're new to hot shoe flash photography. They're cheap, and do the job if you're on a budget, and eventually will still be useful to you if you get into off camera flash photography.

You should probably search up this forum to see what's the most current one for your needs, you'll find more info that way. I just got back into the country from being gone half a year so I'm definitely behind in gear knowledge haha

Luxury
635 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Sep 2009

Jul 30, 2012 00:49 |  #10

I highly recommend the Yongnuo flashes for off-camera flash.

In terms of car-shooting lenses, I've found that wider is better — but not to the point of abnormally wide.

It also depends on what kind of shot you're looking for.

If you're doing straight on or broadside shots, a longer lens will help minimize distortion of the front and rear wheels.

Angled shots, up close, are more dramatic with a wider lens — but you've got to take care with reflections of your camera in the paint!

Liam - A7r, Fuji x100, 450d and some other stuff. --- Flickr  (external link)--- http://liamgee.com (external link)

RodneyCyr
659 posts
Gallery: 17 photos
Joined Feb 2005

Jul 30, 2012 17:11 |  #11

I have seen many interesting car photos on these forums that were taken with ultra-wide lenses such as the 16-35L or 17-40L on FF, and 10-22 on crop cameras. My guess is that you will find yourself taking many of your best pictures with the 5Dc and 24-105 at 24mm.

But if you cannot control your background, you might prefer a longer lens, as wide lenses tend to take in too much.

Canon 80D, 60D, Canon 10-22EFs, 15-85EFS IS, Sigma 18-300, Sigma 135/1.8ART, Sigma 30mm f/1.4DC, Canon 60mm EFs Macro, Rokinon 8mm fisheye, 550EX flash, Olympus TG2 underwater P&S
Postprocessing: DxOLabs 4, DxO Viewpoint 3, Paint Shop Pro 2021
Speak softly and carry a big zoom.

Myboostedgst
Goldmember
1,911 posts
Gallery: 26 photos
Joined Feb 2011

Jul 30, 2012 17:51 as a reply to  @ RodneyCyr's post |  #12

I prefer telephoto lenses as I love the compressed look. However, I have taken some great shots with a wide angle too.

My vote, defenitly take the 24-105 and take some shots at the longer end. Photos taken looking slightly up hill with the background far away look great with a telephoto.

Andrew | Midwest Automotive (external link) | Flickr (external link) | Instagram (external link)

sponsored links

2,284 views & 0 likes for this thread
Best lens to shoot car? (Out of what I have)
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.