Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 28 Jul 2012 (Saturday) 18:51
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Hawaii kit

randy98mtu
Goldmember
3,934 posts
Gallery: 376 photos
Joined Dec 2007

Jul 28, 2012 18:51 |  #1

Edit: I am back from the trip, so what follows is to help anyone planning a trip as I don't need anymore advice. Starting with reply #76 (page 6 if you are using forum standards) I am sharing some of the shots I got there. I am also posting them to an set on my Flickr, Hawaii 2013 (external link). Thanks for reading and below is the original post.

---------------

So I've been searching and reading and I still find myself making another "what lens" thread. I just found out we are going to be going to Hawaii next spring, maybe April/May. We are waiting to find out details for available dates on the time share we are going to be using. We are looking at 1 week in Kauai, maybe 5 days on the Big Island and then a day or 2 on Oahu (I want to see Pearl Harbor, the wife doesn't care about it.) There will be 4-6 adults in our party and we will have our 3 daughters, ages 4, 2 and at that time the new one will be 3-4 months old. Hence why we have more adults going. ;)

I have a 5D2, 24-105, 70-200 f4IS, 35L, 85 f/1.8 and 135L. I think zooms are key for travel, so I'll be bringing the 24-105 for sure. On the 70-200, I'll bring what I have, or if the opportunity arrises, upgrade it to the 2.8II. As much as I can see uses for longer FL's there, I just don't need anything longer than 200 here. Maybe I'll rent one there for a few days. I'm also 90% sure I'll be trying to get a 17-40 (which ironically is in my Amazon deals today for $740) I'm undecided on taking a prime. It would be my 35L (or a 50mm which I've been considering swapping it for) or my 85. I feel pretty good about those plans, but I'm open to suggestions.

What I feel I need more help on is filters. I see lots of mention of ND and GND filters. I already have good quality CPL's for 67mm, 72mm and 77mm (covering all but my 85 f/1.8 and a 50 f/1.4 if I end up with one.) Should I just get some decent quality ND filters in, say, 77mm? Or should I get the Lee kit so I can just get 1 set of filters and use them on other lenses. As I see it though, I can't use hoods if I go that route. Is that true? I guess I need to go read more about these types of filters.

Thanks for any tips.

Canon EOS M6 Mark II - EOS R5
Donate for Forum Costs

sponsored links
rick_reno
Cream of the Crop
44,642 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Jul 28, 2012 20:31 |  #2

i visit Hawaii 5 times a year, been doing it for years (can't get my wife to move, so I often go alone). I get most use out of a wide angle there and CPL filters. 17-40 would be a good one.

RodneyCyr
659 posts
Gallery: 17 photos
Joined Feb 2005

Jul 28, 2012 20:56 |  #3

I agree with rick_reno. Jump on the Amazon deal for the 17-40. And for the telephoto, the 70-300L might be an option if you want more reach.

Canon 80D, 60D, Canon 10-22EFs, 15-85EFS IS, Sigma 18-300, Sigma 135/1.8ART, Sigma 30mm f/1.4DC, Canon 60mm EFs Macro, Rokinon 8mm fisheye, 550EX flash, Olympus TG2 underwater P&S
Postprocessing: DxOLabs 4, DxO Viewpoint 3, Paint Shop Pro 2021
Speak softly and carry a big zoom.

randy98mtu
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,934 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Jul 28, 2012 21:16 |  #4

Thanks for the replies. Seems like 2 votes for just get a 17-40 and call it good.

Unfortunately I can't do the 17-40 right now, but I've seen the deal pop up on my Amazon deals before. And here's hoping there are better deals this holiday season. ;)

Donate for Forum Costs

Nightdiver13
Unabashed nerd!
2,272 posts
Joined May 2010

Jul 28, 2012 21:26 |  #5

I've found that some combo of ND and CPL is frequently on my lenses in Hawaii, for waterfalls, large aperture daytime shots, and all those other times when cutting the light is needed. The 3 stop ND filter gets way more use than the 2 stop, but I'm usually glad to have the 2 stop with me. Although I've been tempted to bring along the full rectangle filter kit of ND and GND, I'm always glad I didn't bother with that.

That's based on the style of trips I take though, which is constant hiking and moving around from place to place. I know I wouldn't have the patience (or cleanliness) to bother with the full filter kit.

Neil

stu46
Goldmember
2,227 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Jul 29, 2012 03:38 |  #6

You can always rent. Visit Josh at Hawaii Photo Rental (external link). I've rented a bunch of gear from him and currently have 3 lenses and the Vari-ND for the weekend.

flickr  (external link)

Scott ­ M
Goldmember
3,272 posts
Gallery: 83 photos
Joined May 2008

Jul 29, 2012 07:14 |  #7

While I have not been to Hawaii as much as Rick (I'm jealous, btw :) ), I have been there three times. On our last visit -- 5 days each on The Big Island and Kauai -- I had a 40D, 17-55 f/2.8, 70-200 f/4 IS and 10-22. The 17-55 was used for the vast majority of my shots. The 70-200 was used mostly for whale watching (which you will not be doing if you go in May), and the 10-22 was used only in Volcanoes National Park.

Based on that, your 24-105 would probably get used the most. A 17-40L would be nice for the volcanoes, but may not be necessary. It just depends on how much you like to shoot wide.

Photo Gallery (external link)
Gear List

MaxImage
57 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Jul 30, 2012 04:00 |  #8

On Kauai and the Big Island especially, a wide angle such as the 17-40 is a good choice. You would be able to take sweeping panoramas of Waimea Canyon, and depending on what side of the Big Island you go to, there are lots of nature subjects, waterfalls, flora, etc. If you're in Kona on the Big Island, or even on the southern shore of Oahu, the ND would be a good choice for sunset pictures, and having a CP in your bag is a must for any occasion that may come up that warrants it, i.e. rainbows, etc.

For the Big Island, only the Kona side has sandy beaches, while South Point has a nice olivine sand beach, but is about a mile hike from where you have to park the car, and with the little ones in tow, might be a bit far. Waipio Valley is also a nice place to take some scenic pictures and also provides hiking opportunities.

A lot of still life can be captured in Hilo and along the Hamakua Coast (BIg Island) and on Kauai, as well as selected spots on Oahu. The former two, due to their much slower pace of life and resistance to change, have really captured a society somewhat frozen in time, that provides a nice rustic feel and gives you a sense of Old Hawaii.

If you'd rather use what you have, and only invest in filters, then the 24-105, 35L and 70-200 should be more than suffice for your trip and give you the creative ability you're seeking. Like Stu previously mentioned, Hawaii Photo Rental is a very reputable place to rent from, and provided you're staying in Waikiki on Oahu, it's a pretty short drive away, approx 10 minutes.

For the filters, because you'll be travelling and constantly on the move--with kids, nonetheless--IHMO, I'm worried that the Lee system would be cumbersome and prone to breakage. Whereas screw-type ND/GND would be easier. On the flip side, the Lee-style system is much more universal and is more flexible, esp when you want to move the filter vertically in the holder to capture that "certain" shot. Do you think you'll be bringing along a tripod and taking a lot of long exposure shots? If so, then ND might be a good idea, if not, then CP should do the trick.

randy98mtu
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,934 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Jul 30, 2012 06:36 |  #9

Thanks for the post. A lot of good information there.

We had a few developments yesterday. We found out we can likely get 2 condos in Kauai and have invited 2 more couples to join us; my parents and my sister and her 2 kids. So there would be a total of 5 couples with 5 kids total, all 5 and under. I'm thinking this will open up more possibilities as those who want to be more active can join forces and those who want to sit on the beach can stick together. Also plenty of built in baby sitters for the parents who want to get away and do things together or have a quiet dinner. Just waiting to hear back from the owner of the time shares (a close friend's parents) to get dates when both are available. He is looking at May/June.

I am back and forth on the 17-40, wondering what I will really be gaining with just a bit more on the wide end. I had the 10-22 when I had crop bodies and sold it because it just wasn't getting used at home. So for now all I'm sure of is some ND/GND filters in 77mm for my 24-105. They would also work directly on the 17-40 if I end up with it. And with step down rings, I could use them on my other lenses if desired. Now to learn the differences and pick what to get!

Thanks again.

Donate for Forum Costs

brousseb
48 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Jul 30, 2012 08:33 as a reply to  @ randy98mtu's post |  #10

I went to Maui last year with a 5DII, 24-105 and 70-200 F4LIS, over half my shots were at 24-28 mm. So...I picked up a 17-40 for my trip to the big island in 2 months and taking all 3 L's. Debating bringing the 28 1.8.

Land
5D2 | 17-40 | 50 1.4 | Manfrotto 190 legs & 701 HDV fluid video head
Water
G15 | Canon UW Housing | 2 x i-Torch Pro Mini (750 Lumen)
GoPro H3 Black & Polar Pro filters

randy98mtu
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,934 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Jul 30, 2012 08:38 |  #11

Thanks. Maybe the 17-40 is the ticket then...

Donate for Forum Costs

Dano39
83 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Jul 30, 2012 08:53 |  #12

Another vote for the 17-40 here!

LostInInaka
500 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Jul 30, 2012 09:39 |  #13

17-40 here as well (although I'm using the 16-35....but FL is similar)

awesome lens for those sunrise and sunset shots

5DmkIII | Rokinon 35mm f/1.4 | Canon 16-35mm f/2.8L mk II | Canon 24mm f/1.4L mk II | Canon TS-E 24mm f/3.5L mk II | Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L | Canon 70-200 f/2.8L IS mk II | + Misc
flickr (external link)

randy98mtu
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,934 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Jul 30, 2012 17:03 |  #14

Well we have dates and the time shares are booked (or getting booked as I type.) Excitement is building and we only have ... 10 months to go! Ugh, that's going to be a long painful wait. At least in the meantime we have another baby due to keep our minds off Hawaii! lol

Donate for Forum Costs

rinthiran
84 posts
Joined Jul 2005

Jul 30, 2012 18:01 |  #15

I recommend just getting a 17-40 and your 24-105. With a large travel party and kids, less is better. The only thing you'll be missing is shallow DoF shots, so maybe the 135 (flowers, portraits, etc.). On my trips to Hawaii, most of them were panoramic shots between 17-30mm or so...

5D3, EOS M, 350D/XT, EOS Elan 7e, 580EX, 270EX II, EF 17-40 f4L, EF 24-70 f2.8L, EF 70-200 f2.8L, EF 100mm f2.8L IS Macro, EF 50mm f1.4, EF 40mm f2.8 STM, EF 28mm f1.8, EFM 22mm f2.0 (5Dc sold, 30D sold); '82 Nikon FE, Nikkor Ai 50mm f1.8.

sponsored links

15,029 views & 0 likes for this thread
Hawaii kit
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.