Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 27 Jul 2012 (Friday) 09:46
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Photo stolen - advice?

joeblack2022
Goldmember
3,005 posts
Joined Sep 2011

Jul 27, 2012 09:46 |  #1

I stumbled upon one of my photos today and it seems like the offender lifted it from the article where it was originally published.

I have let the soccer website I shoot for know and just wondering if there is anything that I should be aware of before I pursue anything.

I'm in Canada so not sure if that affects my options cross-border.

ORIGINAL ARTICLE (external link)

ARTICLE IN QUESTION (external link)

Joel

sponsored links
Mark1
Cream of the Crop
6,725 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Jul 27, 2012 11:22 |  #2

While I like to think we all should go after every offender. The short answer is, what will it cost to go after them vs. what will you recover from them. There is no point in going after them if it will cost $2500 for a $50 recovery. But at the minimum I would have a lawyer send then a letter, as well as a DMCA notice to the web host.

www.darkslisemag.com (external link)

mike_311
Checking squirrels nuts
3,761 posts
Gallery: 18 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Mar 2011

Jul 27, 2012 11:37 |  #3

in the US the first step is the register the image with the with the copyright office. from that, I'd send them a bill and a take down notice, also contact their isp and let them know they are hosting copyrighted material.

Canon 5d mkii | Canon 17-40/4L | Tamron 24-70/2.8 | Canon 85/1.8 | Canon 135/2L
www.michaelalestraphot​ography.com (external link)
Flickr (external link) | 500px (external link) | About me

Thomas ­ Campbell
Goldmember
2,105 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Jul 27, 2012 11:38 |  #4

If you don't have it registered with the copyright office, you don't have many options other than having them delete it and asking nicely for a web use (actual damages) which will amount to less than $100.

If you first published the work within the last 90 days, you can register the image with the copyright office and have a good chance of a lawyer taking your case on contingency.

Houston Wedding Photographer (external link)
Houston Sports Photographer (external link)
Current Gear List

JacobPhoto
Goldmember
1,434 posts
Joined Jun 2005

Jul 27, 2012 12:32 |  #5

Looks like a fan blog. Send a DMCA takedown notice and call it good.

~ Canon 7d / 5D ~ Novatron strobe setup + Vagabond
~ Some L glass, some flashes, the usual

ssim
POTN Landscape & Cityscape Photographer 2005
10,884 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Jul 29, 2012 06:16 |  #6

Thomas Campbell wrote in post #14777785 (external link)
If you don't have it registered with the copyright office, you don't have many options other than having them delete it and asking nicely for a web use (actual damages) which will amount to less than $100.

If you first published the work within the last 90 days, you can register the image with the copyright office and have a good chance of a lawyer taking your case on contingency.

As noted by the OP he resides in Canada and there is no method or requirement to register photographs here.

My life is like one big RAW file....way too much post processing needed.
Sheldon Simpson | My Gallery (external link) | My Gear updated: 20JUL12

ajaffe
788 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Jul 30, 2012 13:00 |  #7

Thomas Campbell wrote in post #14777785 (external link)

That is true to a point. If your image is watermarked and they cropped it out, then you can prove that there was intent which can command higher numbers than an image that is unregistered.

www.aaronsjaffe.com (external link)

LONDON808
872 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Jul 30, 2012 14:25 |  #8

Why bother trying to get legal, were you ever going to make money from that image more then likely not, just send them an e-mail asking to give you credit and a back link. If they don't then send a DMCA takedow.

View My Flickr (external link)

joeblack2022
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,005 posts
Joined Sep 2011

Jul 30, 2012 21:09 |  #9

I sent a note to the site owner to make him aware (if he wasn't already) of the photo in question and though I have not heard back yet the photo has been taken down.

Joel

jazure
Hatchling
5 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Jul 31, 2012 14:10 as a reply to  @ joeblack2022's post |  #10

I have had some success just sending an invoice for the usage as well :)

nathancarter
Cream of the Crop
5,474 posts
Gallery: 32 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2010

Jul 31, 2012 14:27 |  #11

I think an invoice for usage would come before a takedown notice. Sell them the rights to use it. Offering to let them take it down if they can't/won't pay would be a secondary or tertiary step in the process.

Just my opinion.

http://www.avidchick.c​om (external link) for business stuff
http://www.facebook.co​m/VictorVoyeur (external link) for fun stuff

MartyB
29 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Aug 18, 2012 14:10 |  #12

jazure wrote in post #14795986 (external link)
I have had some success just sending an invoice for the usage as well :)

Does anyone have any good professional looking invoices examples ?

I just nocticed that I'd been infringed last weekend by a chamber of commerce type organization, in a national promotional brochure.

I already figured there wasn't much I could do about it, but I would like to send them a bill, in the hopes that some office clown not paying attention would just pay it.

Croasdail
making stuff up
7,322 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined Apr 2005

Aug 18, 2012 15:56 |  #13

What a missed opportunity. Rather than snarking at them, it was an opportunity to find yet another venue for your work. People act like their pictures are the Mona Lisa. Honestly, had this been approached from the angle of they like your work, let them use that image, and you'll work with them on future images. What you ended up with is no incremental income, and a web site that you know will not give your images air time in the future.

There is the "right" answer... which usually leads to no new business... and there is the compromise answer where you could develop a broader relationship with other venues. Most people who do this do not have nefarious intent.

Mark
Its by knowing and mastering all the rules that you learn which ones you can break.

DavidR
Goldmember
1,543 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Nov 2008

Aug 18, 2012 15:57 |  #14

MartyB wrote in post #14875008 (external link)
Does anyone have any good professional looking invoices examples ?

I just nocticed that I'd been infringed last weekend by a chamber of commerce type organization, in a national promotional brochure.

I already figured there wasn't much I could do about it, but I would like to send them a bill, in the hopes that some office clown not paying attention would just pay it.

http://download.cnet.c​om …3000-2066_4-10437149.html (external link)

M10 - ZM 21mm - Elmarit 28mm-CV - Nokton 50mm f/1.2 - Elmarit 90mm

MikeFairbanks
Cream of the Crop
6,428 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Aug 18, 2012 16:58 |  #15

My pics get posted in the local paper sometimes, and I know that they have no clue as to whether they should use it or not. All I did was send a very kind note (essentially thanking them....although, you know....they are my photos), and asking for credit. The credits before were something like "photo: special" or something like that.

I told them they can use my photos however they like, including ads, but to give me credit.

However, I am not, nor do I really think I will ever make any money off pictures. I'm not really good enough in any genre to do it and probably never will.

Thank you. bw!

sponsored links

4,936 views & 0 likes for this thread
Photo stolen - advice?
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.