Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Nikon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Nikon Cameras 
Thread started 05 Feb 2010 (Friday) 20:14
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Got a Nikon? Share your thoughts and photos here or ask a question! (II)

this thread is locked
Myboostedgst
Goldmember
1,902 posts
Gallery: 28 photos
Joined Feb 2011

Jul 30, 2012 14:11 |  #7591

dgrPhotos wrote in post #14789142 (external link)
You said you had an xsi so I'm assuming you're taking that next step in gear. A D7000 + the 50/1.8G would be a great starter set assuming you will invest in a wide angle and telephoto down the road. Until then zoom with your feet! ;)

I would personally go D7000 with a 35/1.8G. I find my 50/1.8G to long on most occasions on my D90. The 35mm however stayed on my D40 the entire time I had it. I loved that lens so much that I am planning on selling my Tamron 17-50 and my 50/1.8G and using just a 35/1.8G.

Andrew | Flickr (external link) | Instagram (external link)

sponsored links
MikeFairbanks
Cream of the Crop
6,428 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Jul 30, 2012 15:19 |  #7592

Something that is causing me pause is that I just learned many Nikon products are made in China. I own a lot of stuff made in China (who doesn't?), but Canon seems to make their lenses and DSLR bodies in Japan where they are designed.

That might be why Canon gets gear to market sooner and more consistently.

Just a hunch. I think I'll stick with my T2i for a while longer (I know, I know....I never make up my mind).

Thank you. bw!

ching
Goldmember
1,370 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Jul 30, 2012 16:15 |  #7593

All Nikon FF cameras are made in Japan, as well as most gold ring f2.8 and f1.4 lens
The only difference is some Canon's crop camera are made in Japan, the rest is the same story ( 430EX II, non-L lens are made in China as well)

Nikon D800

dgrPhotos
Cream of the Crop
7,501 posts
Gallery: 38 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Apr 2011

Jul 30, 2012 16:15 |  #7594

MikeFairbanks wrote in post #14791370 (external link)
Something that is causing me pause is that I just learned many Nikon products are made in China. I own a lot of stuff made in China (who doesn't?), but Canon seems to make their lenses and DSLR bodies in Japan where they are designed.

Just a hunch. I think I'll stick with my T2i for a while longer (I know, I know....I never make up my mind).

Only the Nikon 1 is manufactured in China. Most everything else is Thailand and Japan. The T3, T3i and T4i are all made in China.

K6AZ
Cream of the Crop
10,250 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Nov 2008

Jul 30, 2012 16:25 |  #7595

MikeFairbanks wrote in post #14791370 (external link)

Honestly, unless Nikon offers a lens or lens system you can't get from Canon you're probably better off with Canon. At that level of body I just don't see a compelling reason to switch because of the body alone.

Flickr (external link)

whmeltonjr
Goldmember
1,363 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Jul 30, 2012 22:40 |  #7596

Well I am officially a Nikon convert. My D800 just got ordered from Allen's Camera. I hope I'm not in over my head here. :lol:

William | Fuji X-E1 | Fuji X100S | Flickr (external link)

tipidsale
331 posts
Joined Sep 2011

Jul 31, 2012 02:43 |  #7597

peter_n wrote in post #14789990 (external link)
At the risk of drawing some wrath (from here as well as your mom) I'd suggest looking at a quality mirrorless camera as well. I recently got a Sony NEX-7 and can't believe the IQ. The electronic viewfinder is amazing, it has a 24.3Mp APS-C sensor, it does HD video, and the camera with kit lens (effective focal length 27-82.5mm) sells for $1348.00 at B&H. It's so much smaller and handier than a DSLR & I'm really taken with it.

Low light performance seems not that appealing.

peter_n
Goldmember
2,451 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Apr 2010

Jul 31, 2012 13:00 |  #7598

tipidsale wrote in post #14793807 (external link)
Low light performance seems not that appealing.

You may be right. I'm using the camera only in full manual mode mostly in good light. I bought it purely to use with my Leica M and Exakta CZJ lenses and the focus peaking system works really well. I've no idea how auto-focus lenses work on it in poor light but it's a doddle to focus manual lenses in all kinds of light.

~Peter

jetcode
Cream of the Crop
6,234 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Jul 31, 2012 13:21 |  #7599

whmeltonjr wrote in post #14793183 (external link)
Well I am officially a Nikon convert. My D800 just got ordered from Allen's Camera. I hope I'm not in over my head here. :lol:

Congratulations. Play with it for a week, expect to be impressed, and relish the technical achievement in your hands.

whmeltonjr
Goldmember
1,363 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Jul 31, 2012 13:23 |  #7600

jetcode wrote in post #14795742 (external link)
Congratulations. Play with it for a week, expect to be impressed, and relish the technical achievement in your hands.

Thanks! I took your advice when ordering it. Gave them a call this morning just to confirm that my order went through last night and they were very helpful. Shipped out about an hour ago. Now the waiting begins.

William | Fuji X-E1 | Fuji X100S | Flickr (external link)

dgrPhotos
Cream of the Crop
7,501 posts
Gallery: 38 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Apr 2011

Jul 31, 2012 13:25 |  #7601

Welcome to the wonderful world of mega-pickles.

woos
Goldmember
2,224 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Jul 31, 2012 13:58 |  #7602

jetcode wrote in post #14786707 (external link)
I sold mine with a $1 start price. Lots of fun bidding on the camera because it appears to be attainable for a much wider audience. Works great on hot commodities and doesn't for items that collects dust. Been there.

Bingo, lol. What always makes me "lol" is when you put something up for say, a penny start, 250 buyout...and it ends up selling for like 325.

And WHM, you'll enjoy it. The high MP is nice but the overall robustness of the files and how they stand up to editing is awesome.

amanathia.zenfolio.com

jetcode
Cream of the Crop
6,234 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Jul 31, 2012 14:23 |  #7603

whmeltonjr wrote in post #14795757 (external link)
Thanks! I took your advice when ordering it. Gave them a call this morning just to confirm that my order went through last night and they were very helpful. Shipped out about an hour ago. Now the waiting begins.

My next door neighbor waited a good 8-12 weeks for his delivery on a d800E. The brick and mortars have done well with Nikon. The only camera that is selling out and back ordered.

Myboostedgst
Goldmember
1,902 posts
Gallery: 28 photos
Joined Feb 2011

Jul 31, 2012 15:11 as a reply to  @ jetcode's post |  #7604

Ordered a refurbished D3000 for my mom's B-day present. Should be here in a few days. I plan on taking it on vacation when I go to a large car show in August before I give it to her. :lol: I had a D3000 back in the day before I traded it in for a D5000 because I thought I wanted HD video. Going through my old photos I really liked my results with the D3000. Should be fun getting out with it again.

Back from the first night I had it.

IMAGE: http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2486/4171431320_aa96b5a7ae_z.jpg

Andrew | Flickr (external link) | Instagram (external link)

MikeFairbanks
Cream of the Crop
6,428 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Jul 31, 2012 16:39 |  #7605

dgrPhotos wrote in post #14791619 (external link)
Only the Nikon 1 is manufactured in China. Most everything else is Thailand and Japan. The T3, T3i and T4i are all made in China.

That's interesting.

I looked it up. You're right. My T2i was made in Japan, but the models after mine were made in Taiwan.

Darn tsunami. I hope that was it, because I hate to think of a bunch of folks in Japan losing a lot in one day from an earthquake, and then told their jobs are gone for good.

I hope the jobs return to Japan.

Some say that as long as the company maintains the same quality control standards in each of their factories that it won't matter where it's made.

I don't agree.

Thank you. bw!

sponsored links

765,815 views & 0 likes for this thread
Got a Nikon? Share your thoughts and photos here or ask a question! (II)
FORUMS Nikon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Nikon Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.