Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 27 Jul 2012 (Friday) 11:57
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Alaska necessities?

photopr0
220 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Jul 27, 2012 11:57 |  #1

Going on an Alaskan cruise in a week hoping to get some great landscape shots as well as wildlife! Was wondering if a CPL is necessary for shooting Icebergs? Do you guys recommended any other accessories?

Canon 5D Mark II | Canon 7D Gripped | Canon Rebel xti
Canon 100-400 F4.5-5.6L | Canon 70-200IS F2.8L |Canon 100L| Canon 17-40L | Canon 28-135 | Canon 85 F1.8 | Canon 50 F1.8 II

flickr (external link) | Facebook (external link)

sponsored links
Jon
Cream of the Crop
69,628 posts
Joined Jun 2004

Jul 27, 2012 12:58 |  #2

A CPL is essential for almost any landscape work when there's sunlight. If you're going to be on land consider at least a monopod (so don't forget the tripod mounting ring for the 70-200/100-400) for wildlife in the distance since the light can be all over.

Jon
----------
Cocker Spaniels
Maryland and Virginia activities
Image Posting Rules and Image Posting FAQ
Report SPAM, Don't Answer It! (link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.
PAYPAL GIFT NO LONGER ALLOWED HERE

photopr0
THREAD ­ STARTER
220 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Jul 29, 2012 13:16 |  #3

What are your recommendations on CPL's i've heard quality makes a big difference is the Hoya good or should I spend the extra $$$ and buy the B+W?

Canon 100-400 F4.5-5.6L | Canon 70-200IS F2.8L |Canon 100L| Canon 17-40L | Canon 28-135 | Canon 85 F1.8 | Canon 50 F1.8 II

spyderpig
193 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Jul 29, 2012 13:39 |  #4

I just got back from an alaska cruise a couple weeks ago and it was a lot of fun. It was my first time cruising and my first time in alaska.

What excursions are you going on?

Here's a link to my pictures.
http://antinode.smugmu​g.com …laska-Pub/24391351_4VWvsd (external link)

The most important equipment I had were rain clothes head to toe and a rain sleeve for the camera.

IMAGE: http://antinode.smugmug.com/Vacation/Alaska-Pub/i-M9G8LVH/0/L/P1100001m-L.jpg

Out on the front of the ship it's windy and rainy, but that's where you have to be to get pictures of whales, otters and seals. A lot of people were freezing their butts off, while the wife and I were toasty warm in thermal underwear, fleece, and waterproof shells. Waterproof shoes are a must also.

The cheapo optek rain sleeve worked surprisingly well, but of course, the front of the lens still got wet because of the driving rain. It didn't seem to bother my sigma 80-400mm though and I never got any condensation going from 50 deg, 100% humidy weather to inside the ship.

I took my kit lens 18-55mm, 55-250mm, and sigma 80-400mm and I got the most use out of the 18-55 and the 80-400. I think I only used the 55-250 once.

A monopod came in handy while waiting for whales to come by or for a glacier to calve. I'm not sure what happened, but the sigma optical stabilization freaked out while on the monopod and it buzzed and fluttered furiously. Now that I'm back at home it works fine on the monopod so I'm thinking the low frequency vibrations of the ship messed with it. I just had to use the lens without OS.

I don't have a CPL for the sigma, so none of the iceburg shots were polarized. Actually, I think the only time I used a CPL was for the river shots.

T2i | Canon 15-85mm | kit 55-250mm | Sigma 80-400mm
Harsh and honest C & C is ALWAYS encouraged for any of my photos.

Jon
Cream of the Crop
69,628 posts
Joined Jun 2004

Jul 29, 2012 14:25 |  #5

I like B+W for all my round filters.

Jon
----------
Cocker Spaniels
Maryland and Virginia activities
Image Posting Rules and Image Posting FAQ
Report SPAM, Don't Answer It! (link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.
PAYPAL GIFT NO LONGER ALLOWED HERE

rick_reno
Cream of the Crop
44,642 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Jul 29, 2012 18:30 |  #6

Jon wrote in post #14786337 (external link)
I like B+W for all my round filters.

Me too.

dbvirago
367 posts
Joined Feb 2006

Jul 29, 2012 18:42 |  #7

Just did an Alaskan cruise in May. You'll need wide angle most of the time. A good zoom for wildlife, but except for hanging out on the bow as Spyder mentioned, you'll need to take some excursions to find wildlife. Landscapes are a non-stop variety of evergreens and snow capped mountains. Rain is a bit of a crap shoot, but blue skies are almost impossible. If you;re going to take all 3 bodies, you should be able to cover everything. I had two crop bodies with a 17-50 on one and the 70-200 on the other.

Darryl

http://www.brooksimage​s.com (external link)
http://www.facebook.co​m/brooksimages (external link)
http://twitter.com/#!/​dbvirago (external link)

bps
Cream of the Crop
7,607 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Jul 29, 2012 22:41 |  #8

Great write-up spyderpig!

Bryan

My Gear List

ntotrr
73 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Jul 30, 2012 21:59 |  #9

I got back from my cruise last week. The weather was fantastic. We had sun everyday and temps were in the 60s most of the time. It was the first time in about 1 days the locals had seen the sun in the ports we visited. I didn't bring a polarizer but I think it would have been beneficial for the whale shots in Juneau. I got a couple of decent shots but I never got to see much of their bodies.

IMAGE: http://www.pete-the-greek.com/Places/Alaska-2012/i-nvJ5FRp/0/L/SDIM6260-L.jpg

I loved Glacier Bay, the scenery was amazing. I don't rightly know if a polarizer is neccessary but it can't hurt to bring it. The week before we went, the conditions were horrible - foggy with no visibility from the ship. We were blessed to go when we did.

IMAGE: http://www.pete-the-greek.com/Places/Alaska-2012/i-XZgBCNM/1/L/SDIM6398-L.jpg

IMAGE: http://www.pete-the-greek.com/Places/Alaska-2012/i-QHnkDN8/1/M/6375-6379pano-M.jpg

IMAGE: http://www.pete-the-greek.com/Places/Alaska-2012/i-QTMTvMQ/0/L/SDIM6399BW-L.jpg

Have a great time.

photopr0
THREAD ­ STARTER
220 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Jul 30, 2012 23:05 |  #10

Thanks everyone! I'm very excited about the trip and just ordered a B+W 77mm MRC CPL.

happy2010
Looking for the light first
559 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Jul 30, 2012 23:11 |  #11

Dear NTOTRR - You certainly "lucked-out" on the weather and the prestiness that accompanies after a wet-weather period...
What camera body/lens combo did you use in your picture #2? - great crisp shot!

Dear PHOTOPRO -
[Can be very unsetted/dynamic weather like the west coast of British Columbia (particularly anything beyond 100 miles north of Vancouver) or like mountainous areas of Banff/Jasper Alberta, or Europe such as Switzerland or Austria].

SPYDERPIG's comments (a.k.a "be prepared") are great advice; as wind or being around the water can be chilly/cold &/or wet.

Have fun!!

Mary
P.S. I have the B+W (77mm & 72mm) MRC KSM CPL; but Hoya's are great too.

MARY

ntotrr
73 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Jul 31, 2012 10:27 |  #12

Happy, I brought both my Canon 7D and my Sigma SD15. I took that second shot with my SD15 and Sigma 17-70mm DC OS lens. For the whale shots, I used the SD15 and the Sigma 80-40mm EX DG OS lens. If I have one regret is that I didn't bring the 80-400mm lens I have for the 7D. The 7D s a far better camera to use for whale watching for its faster AF and burst speed.

hawk911
Cream of the Crop
11,267 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Jul 31, 2012 10:47 |  #13

big lenses, warm clothes, and lots of camera media to put the shots on. Make sure you have a few batteries for your camera(s). CPL and maybe a neutral density filter depending on what you like to shoot.

HAWK Photography Gallery (external link) FB Fan page (external link)|_My gear: 5d3, 70D & 40D (all gripped), 580exII, 550ex, Canon 24-70 L & 85 f1.8, 50mm f1.4; Tamron 70-200 SP Di VC, Canon 18-55, Sigma 1.4xtc; Elinchrom Whore, Skyport triggers, Speedotron BD and Kacey Grid, Vagabond minis

bpalermini
Goldmember
1,397 posts
Gallery: 94 photos
Joined Mar 2011

Jul 31, 2012 11:00 as a reply to  @ hawk911's post |  #14

Good move to get the CPL. You will not regret it for this trip and for the future. For lenses I recommend something that goes very wide, I had my 16-35, and something that goes very long I rented a 75-300 but a 100-400 would be better. I used the wide for most of the scenery from the ship and from the train and on a glacier. The long was for the wildlife and a couple of shots of Denali.

I took a tripod but did not really use it much.

You can see what I got HERE (external link).

I was into HDR at the time and so I have a Mendenhall Glacier HDR gallery HERE (external link).

Have a great trip!

Bob Palermini
1DX, 5DIV, 14 Rokinon, 16-35L II, 24-70L II, 100L, 70-200 IS 2.8L, 100-400L II, 400mm 2.8 IS II, 1.4xIII, 2xIII, 580EXII, YN560IV, RRS TVC23 + BH55, LRCC, Fuji X-E2, Fuji X30
My Web Site (external link) | My Sports Portfolio (external link)

ntotrr
73 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Jul 31, 2012 16:29 |  #15

bpalermini wrote in post #14795179 (external link)
Good move to get the CPL. You will not regret it for this trip and for the future. For lenses I recommend something that goes very wide, I had my 16-35, and something that goes very long I rented a 75-300 but a 100-400 would be better. I used the wide for most of the scenery from the ship and from the train and on a glacier. The long was for the wildlife and a couple of shots of Denali.

I took a tripod but did not really use it much.

You can see what I got HERE (external link).

I was into HDR at the time and so I have a Mendenhall Glacier HDR gallery HERE (external link).

Have a great trip!

Nice gallery Pastor. If I return to Alaska, this gallery has given me the impetus to take an excursion onto the glacier like you did.

sponsored links

6,105 views & 0 likes for this thread
Alaska necessities?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.