Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
Thread started 31 Jul 2012 (Tuesday) 11:38
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Digitally signing contracts?

nicksan
Man I Like to Fart
24,729 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Jul 31, 2012 11:38 |  #1

Hi folks,

I just got a last minute type inquiry to secure my services. The couple is currently not in the U.S. due to work commitments, so they are trying to arrange everything from abroad.

I usually send my contracts out via PDF with all the pertinent information already filled in. The client would then review, print, sign, and send it back to me along with a retainer check. Haven't had any issues with this so far.

But obviously, this will not work for this one. They want to know whether there is a way to keep everything electronic, since again, they are not in the States at the moment.

What's the easiest way to get some kind of electronic signature from them?

Also, while I am asking this, I'll also ask what would be the easiest way for me to accept the retainer fee electronically. PayPal just doesn't look too professional, you know what I mean?

I always get paid via check, so this is a problem.

Thanks for your help! :)

sponsored links
Tigerkn
Goldmember
4,067 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Jul 31, 2012 11:53 |  #2

nicksan wrote in post #14795313 (external link)
Hi folks,

I just got a last minute type inquiry to secure my services. The couple is currently not in the U.S. due to work commitments, so they are trying to arrange everything from abroad.

I usually send my contracts out via PDF with all the pertinent information already filled in. The client would then review, print, sign, and send it back to me along with a retainer check. Haven't had any issues with this so far.

But obviously, this will not work for this one. They want to know whether there is a way to keep everything electronic, since again, they are not in the States at the moment.

What's the easiest way to get some kind of electronic signature from them?

Also, while I am asking this, I'll also ask what would be the easiest way for me to accept the retainer fee electronically. PayPal just doesn't look too professional, you know what I mean?

I always get paid via check, so this is a problem.

Thanks for your help! :)

Why can't they do the same as others have done Nick? They can scan your .pdf contract after they signed it and send it back to you along with a check. If they don't have a checkbook with US bank then maybe bank transfer would do instead PP.

If you need to confirm their signatures, request them to throw in photocopy of their Driver License.

Website (external link) | Facebook (external link) | Instagram (external link) | Gears (external link)

nicksan
THREAD ­ STARTER
Man I Like to Fart
24,729 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Jul 31, 2012 11:59 |  #3

Tigerkn wrote in post #14795383 (external link)
Why can't they do the same as others have done Nick? They can scan your .pdf contract after they signed it and send it back to you along with a check. If they don't have a checkbook with US bank then maybe bank transfer would do instead PP.

If you need to confirm their signatures, request them to throw in photocopy of their Driver License.

Yeah, that's how I do it. I scan it after I sign to complete the contract. Then send them the PDF. There has to be a better way, like digital signatures, but since my clients are pretty much all local, it's not a big concern.

This client is actually local as well, however they are abroad right now and they want to secure a wedding photographer ASAP. I guess I need to ask them whether they have a scanner or some other way to get the signed doc into electronic form. There's nothing stopping them from printing out the doc and using regular mail. And as you mentioned, they can pay me via transfer or PP or even mail me a check from abroad. I guess they are in a rush to find something since their wedding is in min-September.

Just want to be as accommodating as I can. :)

scorpio_e
Cream of the Crop
7,402 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Aug 2007

Jul 31, 2012 12:07 |  #4

Just a thought maybe they can take a picture of the signed document. Even a compact or Iphone should do a good job.

www.steelcityphotograp​hy.com (external link)

Tigerkn
Goldmember
4,067 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Jul 31, 2012 12:11 |  #5

How about request the B&G to add a little note in the bottom of the Contract to authorize a family member who is in town to sign on their behalf? If you do so, make sure the B&G sign & date next to their note.

Website (external link) | Facebook (external link) | Instagram (external link) | Gears (external link)

Bakewell
Goldmember
1,385 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Jul 31, 2012 12:15 |  #6
bannedPermanent ban

nicksan wrote in post #14795418 (external link)
I scan it after I sign to complete the contract. Then send them the PDF. There has to be a better way, like digital signatures, but since my clients are pretty much all local, it's not a big concern.

You got it...as long as you both have the correct "Valid Certificates" installed on your systems. Physical signatures are for the most part becoming passe.

Dave

nicksan
THREAD ­ STARTER
Man I Like to Fart
24,729 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Jul 31, 2012 13:06 |  #7

Bakewell wrote in post #14795490 (external link)
You got it...as long as you both have the correct "Valid Certificates" installed on your systems. Physical signatures are for the most part becoming passe.

I guess it's safe to say whey would have at least a laptop on a business trip. I'll need to take a look into this.

mirrorrim
87 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Jul 31, 2012 13:35 |  #8

Using Adobe Acrobat you can add a digital signature to the contract. But it takes having an image of your signature to include. They could do this by signing a piece of paper, taking a photo of it with their phone, emailing the photo to themselves, opening your PDF, and inserting their signature into the contract.

nicksan
THREAD ­ STARTER
Man I Like to Fart
24,729 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Jul 31, 2012 14:03 |  #9

mirrorrim wrote in post #14795819 (external link)
Using Adobe Acrobat you can add a digital signature to the contract. But it takes having an image of your signature to include. They could do this by signing a piece of paper, taking a photo of it with their phone, emailing the photo to themselves, opening your PDF, and inserting their signature into the contract.

Probably too much of a hassle for the client.

tim
Light Bringer
50,987 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Jul 31, 2012 20:15 |  #10

Print, sign, scan to pdf, send back. I get that all the time.

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

RangersForever
302 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Aug 01, 2012 03:47 |  #11

They can even sign it electronically as you do with most credit card applications these days. In fact, my last job had me sign the contract electronically. They simply email it back to you. You'll need to make sure you have a little writing above the signature part that explains the electronic sig is in lieu of a handwritten one.

As far as payment goes, I think Paypal is fine and even more so if you have a business paypal account. When I lived abroad I paid for many things back home via Paypal from family run businesses and never thought anything about it.

Scotland Wedding Photographer (external link)

Thomas ­ Campbell
Goldmember
2,105 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Aug 01, 2012 06:59 |  #12

We use ShootQ, which allows clients to digitally book us by signing electronically.

Houston Wedding Photographer (external link)
Houston Sports Photographer (external link)
Current Gear List

matt ­ mead
44 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Aug 03, 2012 05:26 |  #13

Shootq FTW

Sydney Wedding Photographer

http://www.matthewmead​.com.au/blog (external link)

MichaelAnthonyPhotography
477 posts
Joined Sep 2011

Aug 06, 2012 21:17 as a reply to  @ matt mead's post |  #14

I use Adobe Echosign to sign all of my contracts, it keeps them organized, and it is super easy. My clients love it. You create the form either in Adobe Acrobat, or on the application itself, and then you send it out. After they log in to their email and sign, it sends you a link to sign as well. When you sign, copies get emailed to all parties.

www.echosign.com (external link)

Santa Clarita Wedding Photographers - Michael Anthony Photography (external link)
Los Angeles Photography Blog (external link)

sponsored links

3,410 views & 0 likes for this thread
Digitally signing contracts?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.