Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
Thread started 30 Jul 2012 (Monday) 13:47
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

How do you determine when to raise prices?

amirg
532 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Apr 2012

Jul 31, 2012 13:50 |  #16

brokensocial wrote in post #14795090 (external link)
Figure out how much you want to make per year. Figure out how many weddings you want to shoot per year. Divide the first number by the second. That's your price.

For this to work, your expectations should be realistic and in line with how much the segment of the market you end up targeting values your work.

http://www.twilightand​tulle.com (external link)
Facebook (external link)

sponsored links
picturecrazy
soft-hearted weenie-boy
8,565 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Jul 31, 2012 15:02 |  #17

It sounds like bookings are coming too easily for you. That usually means you're underpriced. A long time ago I used to book like 95% of people I met, until I was told that I was retarded for doing that because I was underpriced. There's no magic number, but I was advised that you should be booking no more than 25% of couples you sit down with. I'm not sure what % I'm at, but I've lowered it considerably and am happy.

-Lloyd
The BOUDOIR - Edmonton Intimate Boudoir Photography (external link)
Night and Day Photography - Edmonton Studio Family Baby Child Maternity Wedding Photographers (external link)
Night and Day Photography - Edmonton Headshot Photographers (external link)
Facebook (external link) | Twitter (external link) |Instagram (external link) | Gear

tnis0612
THREAD ­ STARTER
233 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Jul 31, 2012 15:53 |  #18

So since March 1 we have gotten 26 total inquiries/emails (14 since June 1) and 12 have booked (7 for 2012 and 5 for 2013), 8 have not, and 6 we are still in active talks with within the last 2 weeks. That's a 60% booking rate.

Based on those stats if i'm shooting for 20-25 weddings a year would you say those bookings are coming too easily? I'm thinking yes and am actually considering bumping up to $2400 from $1800. Crazy?

picturecrazy wrote in post #14796224 (external link)
It sounds like bookings are coming too easily for you. That usually means you're underpriced. A long time ago I used to book like 95% of people I met, until I was told that I was retarded for doing that because I was underpriced. There's no magic number, but I was advised that you should be booking no more than 25% of couples you sit down with. I'm not sure what % I'm at, but I've lowered it considerably and am happy.

5d Mark II, 7D
17-40L, 35L, 50L, 85 1.8, 70-200 2.8L IS II
www.stevenandlilyphoto​graphy.com (external link)

bigarchi
962 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Jul 31, 2012 15:56 |  #19

i would think yes, though that seems like a big bump!
especially if inquiries are from word-of-mouth

but that's just my thoughts

oh, and I have to say i took a quick peek at your site - nice looking work!

~Mitch

my gear and feedback

picturecrazy
soft-hearted weenie-boy
8,565 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Jul 31, 2012 19:54 |  #20

tnis0612 wrote in post #14796459 (external link)
So since March 1 we have gotten 26 total inquiries/emails (14 since June 1) and 12 have booked (7 for 2012 and 5 for 2013), 8 have not, and 6 we are still in active talks with within the last 2 weeks. That's a 60% booking rate.

Based on those stats if i'm shooting for 20-25 weddings a year would you say those bookings are coming too easily? I'm thinking yes and am actually considering bumping up to $2400 from $1800. Crazy?

$2400 up from $1800 is practically nothing. People probably won't even notice a difference and your bookings and inquiries probably won't even go down. $3000 would be a significant jump.

-Lloyd
The BOUDOIR - Edmonton Intimate Boudoir Photography (external link)
Night and Day Photography - Edmonton Studio Family Baby Child Maternity Wedding Photographers (external link)
Night and Day Photography - Edmonton Headshot Photographers (external link)
Facebook (external link) | Twitter (external link) |Instagram (external link) | Gear

bigarchi
962 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Aug 01, 2012 13:13 |  #21

picturecrazy wrote in post #14797391 (external link)
$2400 up from $1800 is practically nothing. People probably won't even notice a difference and your bookings and inquiries probably won't even go down. $3000 would be a significant jump.

really? a 33% increase seems high to me;
but that's why i'm here, to learn the error of my ways.

~Mitch

my gear and feedback

Jimconnerphoto
Goldmember
2,165 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Aug 01, 2012 13:13 |  #22

There are two reasons I change pricing.
1 When I want less work.
2 when I need more money.
This may sound a little backwards but basing your pricing on what the average studio charges or what the average couple budgets puts you in a big pool.
Think of it this way. If you are on the high end of the market you have less competition. If you are in the average area of the market you have the most competition.
It's a balancing act and you need to keep in mind that you are creating a referral list from your past clients. Clients that paid on the lower end of the market tend to refer couples in that same price range.
Set your prices early in your career at what you want to make then don't expect to be able to change them more then 5-10% every year or so.

Wedding and Portraits www.jimconnerphoto.com (external link)
Commercial Work www.jamesdconner.com (external link)

tlzimmerman
258 posts
Joined Jan 2012

Aug 03, 2012 00:48 as a reply to  @ Jimconnerphoto's post |  #23

I aim for the top third of the bell curve in my target market. Some will love your work but can't afford it, some will scrimp and save to book, you, and some won't bat an eyelash. I don't want every bride, but I don't want to turn away most of them either. Its a fine line to walk really, and alot of it really depends on your market.

5d Mk III - 5d Mk II - 550d - 24-70L - 70-200L IS II - 24-105 F4 L - 85 1.8 - 50 1.4 - 60 Macro - 15 Fisheye

matt ­ mead
44 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Aug 03, 2012 05:25 |  #24

simple supply and demand

Sydney Wedding Photographer

http://www.matthewmead​.com.au/blog (external link)

umphotography
grabbing their Johnson
10,939 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Oct 2007

Aug 03, 2012 08:57 |  #25

Thomas Campbell wrote in post #14791770 (external link)
Don't base your business on unscientific surveys.

^^^^^
THIS

We research research research our areas. WE advertise with a bridal magazine and i have access to wedding industry reports which break it down on how the dollars are spent. They are accurate. We priced ourselves to market to 80% of the market for our state.

Had too many referrals and booked out first year at 25-- our goal . The 2nd and 3rd year with this company we modified and refined what we did so that we are marketing to brides that are willing to spend a certain amount as a base for their photography needs. The inquiries went down but the bookings were better quality weddings a brides that were better to work with and fit into what we wanted to pursue.

For 2013 we have modified again so tat we hit more brides in the upper end of the price bracket we are marketing. We also started going after some of the upper end of the market for brides that will spend more money. That's about 18% of the market in our state that spend over $3000.00 for photography services.

Mike
www.umphotography.com (external link)
GEAR LIST
Facebook (external link)

SylvesterPotter
673 posts
Joined Jan 2012

Aug 08, 2012 20:41 |  #26

The quality of your work should determine your price in my opinion....just be honest with yourself...you know what is reasonable for the work you put out and what's not.

www.SylvesterPotter.co​m (external link)

AZGeorge
Goldmember
2,621 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Aug 10, 2012 15:40 |  #27

I think your wedding packages should start at $2,250 just like these good shooters (external link).

George
Democracy Dies in Darkness

sponsored links

4,273 views & 0 likes for this thread
How do you determine when to raise prices?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.