Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment People 
Thread started 31 Jul 2012 (Tuesday) 17:33
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

So you think you know sexy?

AlanMura
632 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Jul 31, 2012 17:33 |  #1

When I shoot what I want this is the outcome. Just thought id share with the community.

enjoy. Shot with a 7D... MUA and assistant were present cause i dont shoot without'em! No need for hair styling since the whole point was to get down dirty and raw. Go bold or go home.

90% of the shots have nipples in them so I cant post them here. I will be posting to my tumblr later this week if you are interested in seeing the real shots. These are teasers.

questions comments etc are always welcome. Ill keep checking back here to respond.

Thanks!!!!

IMAGE: https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/278793_474821069194863_1051293762_o.jpg

ALANMURA.COM (external link) | FACE (external link)BOOK (external link) | BLOG (external link)

sponsored links
frugivore
Goldmember
3,089 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Aug 2010

Jul 31, 2012 18:04 |  #2

Thanks for sharing. What lighting was used for these? And what time of day was the shoot?

AlanMura
THREAD ­ STARTER
632 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Jul 31, 2012 18:09 |  #3

I shot these when the sun was at the highest point of the day, mid afternoon here in southern cali. It was directly above her, just behind. I had my assistant hold a silver reflector. I never put the reflector on a c-stand since I want my models to move around and get in to character so I have my assistant follow her around with the light. I used a CPL filter but it didnt help much since there were no clouds, just helped with the tones of the water mostly. Hope that helps!

ALANMURA.COM (external link) | FACE (external link)BOOK (external link) | BLOG (external link)

ryanwin
226 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Jul 31, 2012 18:22 |  #4

very unique look, love how you PP these

Flick (external link)r
Facebook (external link)

AlanMura
THREAD ­ STARTER
632 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Jul 31, 2012 18:29 |  #5

@Ryanwin
thanks! Yeah a few months ago I accidentally processed a photo like this and have been applying this workflow ever since.

AAphotog
828 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Jul 31, 2012 22:41 |  #6
bannedPermanent ban

show me :-D

5d3, 50mm 1.4, 70-200mm F4 L, 17-40mm F4 L
But hey, they say it's not the gear right:rolleyes:

hhuy888
Goldmember
1,002 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Aug 01, 2012 00:36 |  #7

Very nice images!

hhuy

maatt
241 posts
Joined May 2012

Aug 01, 2012 00:55 |  #8

The PP is great on these! Share the secret? :D

e=mc ** 2

Pirate4
693 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Aug 01, 2012 04:16 |  #9

It just goes to show that it is not the camera but the photographer. Great work

Canon 7D

AlanMura
THREAD ­ STARTER
632 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Aug 01, 2012 11:37 |  #10

Wow thank you all for such positive comments! I really appreciate that!!!

Ok, I have no problem sharing how these are done, only I spend about an hour on each photo to make them look like this, so it ouwld be an understatement to say that its not a neat little trick that I can just explain.

I go through 6 basic steps.

1) Starts with the shot itself. I shoot under exposed by 1 stop. every time. Doesnt matter if my client is a startup tshirt line or a fortune 500 company. Always shoot under exposed.

2) Toning and Skin retouching. I only remove blemishes. I dont ever blur skin using any of the blur tools including portaiture. I use heal, dodge, burn, and patch. A stylus and tablet really really help. Skin without texture is the mark of an amateur. (this step should take at least 20mins)

3) Curves adjustments: I even out larger, darker areas of skin with multiple layers of curves adjustments. I set the curve to reflect what i want to see in that particular area of the picture, apply to the whole picture, invert the mask and using a stylus i paint in the area I want to adjust. (this step will take at least 20mins). This is why I shoot under exposed so that I have all the information in the image and I correct specific spots using curves, masks, inverting, painting back in.

4) I remove all true black and white from the image using the curves tool. This will cause a haze.

5) Gamma correction.

6) channel mixer and more curves adjustment layers to get the color tones you want.

Keep in mind that the order of layering changes the look of an image. Also, keep in mind that even if I told you the step by step processes I used, each image is its own beast. So the values you use are up to your taste. If we cooked off the same recipe our dishes would come out differently. same goes for photography and retouching in my opinion. If you have more specific wuestions I would be happy to answer them. thanks again everyone for all the positive remarks! Im going to post another set that I shot with a gold reflector and different model.

Ill keep checking back here too!

squiLL
667 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Aug 01, 2012 12:11 |  #11

Excellent work, Alan! Set was unreal.

Mike Cassara
Marketing Manager - Tiffen Filters

Tiffen.com (external link)

AlanMura
THREAD ­ STARTER
632 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Aug 01, 2012 12:21 |  #12

@squill
Thank you!!! Ya she my new muse :) We work well together, and she has no fear!

pauly916
Goldmember
1,523 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Aug 01, 2012 14:14 |  #13

Wow I love these images, thanks for sharing your post methods very interesting and informative.

Gear- who cares?
Facebook (external link)

AlanMura
THREAD ­ STARTER
632 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Aug 01, 2012 14:32 |  #14

@Pauly, thank you and no problem!

sponsored links

2,548 views & 0 likes for this thread
So you think you know sexy?
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment People 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.