Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos Video and Sound Editing 
Thread started 29 Jul 2012 (Sunday) 23:25
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Syncing Audio on Wedding Videos

Kylemorgan88
423 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Oct 2011

Jul 29, 2012 23:25 |  #1

The next logical step for our wedding videos is to focus on obtaining higher quality audio through a lav mic and external recorder setup.

My question for those with more experience is how to find and sync the audio during post processing?

I just can't see how it's possible to push out a SDE while having to sift through hours of audio to find the 10-15 seconds of audio matching the specific video clip I'm wanting to use it with. I know the 5D Mark III has time stamps, but we only use a 5D Mark II and 60D.

I see good quality audio on many SDE's, so I know there must an efficient way to obtain good audio, but I have no idea what the process looks like. Help please!!!

sponsored links
Ainoko
Stupidest Question Award 2008
1,406 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Jul 30, 2012 01:34 |  #2

PluralEyes (external link)

That is all.

Full Gear List
https://photography-on-the.net …?p=4846834&post​count=1005

AAphotog
828 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Jul 30, 2012 06:14 |  #3
bannedPermanent ban

Ainoko wrote in post #14788846 (external link)
PluralEyes (external link)

That is all.

I agree

5d3, 50mm 1.4, 70-200mm F4 L, 17-40mm F4 L
But hey, they say it's not the gear right:rolleyes:

Talley
Talley Whacker
11,088 posts
Gallery: 46 photos
Joined Dec 2011

Jul 30, 2012 11:21 |  #4

Thanks for the heads up, answered my question already!

A7rIII | A7III | 12-24 F4 | 16-35 GM | 28-75 2.8 | 100-400 GM | 12mm 2.8 Fisheye | 35mm 2.8 | 85mm 1.8 | 35A | 85A | 200mm L F2 IS | MC-11
My Gear Archive

Kylemorgan88
THREAD ­ STARTER
423 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Jul 31, 2012 11:46 as a reply to  @ Talley's post |  #5

Sweet!!! Thanks. This looks like exactly what I need.

SFtag
35 posts
Joined Jun 2012

Aug 01, 2012 14:41 |  #6

Aside from simply downloading PluralEyes it is important to try to capture the best sound you can from the camera itself.

So with your 5D and 60D plug in a simple videomic into them so that the reference audio will be better quality, leading to PluralEyes being able to sync more efficiently. The program is great but at times if the reference audio isn't great it can potentially have trouble syncing. Doesn't mean without a basic mic plugged into the cams it won't work, but it can definitely help.

Professional Camera Operator
Amateur Photographer

InterMurph
253 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Aug 01, 2012 15:47 |  #7

I downloaded the trial and got this error:

Error: C:\Users\marty.BACKSHO​RE\Documents\Adobe\Pre​miere Pro\5.5\Spring 2012 Piano Recital.pproj is not a valid Adobe Premiere Pro CS4 project file. Note: CS5 projects need to be first exported to XML. Open that XML file in PluralEyes instead of the project file.

I am running CS5.5.

So they don't support CS5, CS5.5, or CS6?

InterMurph
253 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Aug 01, 2012 16:06 |  #8

I tried it out. I exported my project to Final Cut XML format.

I opened that in PluralEyes and ran it. It produced a *_synced.xml file.

I tried to open that with Premiere Pro, and it says "The project appears to be damaged". Apparently, it's not in a format that Premiere Pro understands.

Kylemorgan88
THREAD ­ STARTER
423 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Aug 01, 2012 20:44 |  #9

SFtag wrote in post #14800884 (external link)
Aside from simply downloading PluralEyes it is important to try to capture the best sound you can from the camera itself.

So with your 5D and 60D plug in a simple videomic into them so that the reference audio will be better quality, leading to PluralEyes being able to sync more efficiently. The program is great but at times if the reference audio isn't great it can potentially have trouble syncing. Doesn't mean without a basic mic plugged into the cams it won't work, but it can definitely help.

So you must have audio already recorded and uploaded in order the the software to sync the secondary audio source?

If this is true thanks for the heads up. Now I'm not sure this software will work for our needs. We will be shooting from the back of the ceremony with very little chance of picking up good audio, which is the main reason for using an external recorder/lav mic combo.

Is there anyway for plural eyes to sync sound with just a video clip?

I guess I don't see the point of this software if you already have to make sure high quality audio is imported into your editing program. If I already have good quality audio, why would I need to sync a second source?

ChasWG
Goldmember
3,640 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Aug 02, 2012 12:55 |  #10

It doesn't have to be "high quality audio" for it to sync. All SFtag was suggesting was that you use a better mic on your camera so that Pluraleyes has a better chance at syncing the two clips. Any added shotgun style mic added to your camera will be a better sound gathering device than the built in camera mic. That's all. Besides, with an added external mic you might also get some great sound without having to use the recorders and lav mics. I'm assuming that you aren't always at the back of the room shooting and won't always get a chance to put mics on everyone. Having an alternate way to gather "run-n-gun" type shots and audio makes for great videos too. But you know the way you like to shoot better. I'm just talking out loud here.

As for the problem of having to sync hours of video to hours of audio, well that's just part of editing now isn't it? It's not like you're the first to run into that problem. That's why Pluraleyes was created, but it's not a full proof method either. Sometime you just have to go through the footage and get it close. Then Pluraleyes can do the rest.

Maybe you need to rethink your workflow as well.

Good luck with your endeavors!

Chas Gordon
7D Gripped/40D Gripped/10-24/EF24-70 f2.8L/EF70-200 f4L/EF50 f1.8 Mk I/EF85 f1.8
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/chaswg/ (external link)
http://vimeo.com/user9​461302/videos (external link)

sponsored links

3,056 views & 0 likes for this thread
Syncing Audio on Wedding Videos
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos Video and Sound Editing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.