Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 06 Feb 2008 (Wednesday) 10:21
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

How do you guys use your Maha C9000 with your eneloops or any battery?

orisky
Goldmember
1,398 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Jun 29, 2012 01:32 |  #31

ok after the discharge and break in (set to 1900 capacity), here's what my 4 eneloops look like:

2016mah, 1.43v
2015mah, 1.44v
2031mah, 1.44v
1993mah, 1.43v

sponsored links
ben_r_
-POTN's Three legged Support-
15,894 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Jun 29, 2012 01:38 |  #32

Huh, thats interesting that even after setting it to 100mah below theyre capacity the charger still came back with closer to their actualy 2000mah capacity. Pretty cool.

[Gear List | Flickr (external link) | My Reviews] /|\ Tripod Leg Protection (external link) /|\
GIVE a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. TEACH a man to fish and he'll eat for a lifetime.

orisky
Goldmember
1,398 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Jun 29, 2012 10:37 |  #33

When I run through a discharge cycle set to 500mah, any ideas why the flashing numbers after discharge is completed shows around 1700mah, 1.22v for each battery? I thought if it's discharging it'll be down in the hundreds. Am I misunderstanding what the discharge cycle does or are the numbers showing that's how much it discharged from the battery?

orisky
Goldmember
1,398 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Jul 01, 2012 03:09 |  #34

Here's another set of discharge and break in, this time set to 2000 capacity. same eneloop hr-3utga.

1972mah, 1.44v
1965mah, 1.44v
1945mah, 1.44v
1958mah, 1.44v

Heath
Goldmember
2,332 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Jul 01, 2012 05:11 |  #35

Very interesting thread.

I purchased the Maha C800S (external link), which I thought had more options that I would ever need, but it looks like the 9000 has even more options.

Should I get a 9000 for the additional features, and keep the 800S for general charging purposes?

Heath
"Some photographers push the envelope. Some sit behind a keyboard and criticize their accomplishments." (seen in the comments of a photo article)
Blog (external link)-Twitter (external link)-Zenfolio (external link)-500px (external link)-Pinterest (external link)-Gear List

boingy
Goldmember
1,052 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Jul 01, 2012 19:54 |  #36

Bookmarked since I may get the C9000 soon!

Flickr (external link)
Blog (external link)

CloudLapser
20 posts
Joined Jun 2011

Aug 01, 2012 16:45 |  #37

Does anyone know what the "cycle function is for?
It doesn't say in the instructions why one would want to charge and discharge batteries a programmable number of times...

sapearl
Cream of the Crop
15,950 posts
Gallery: 128 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2005

Aug 01, 2012 20:00 |  #38

CloudLapser wrote in post #14801435 (external link)
Does anyone know what the "cycle function is for?
It doesn't say in the instructions why one would want to charge and discharge batteries a programmable number of times...

Hello cloud and welcome to POTN. According to page 4 of the instruction sheet I believe it's used to determine final charge capacity of a set of batteries:

http://www.mahaenergy.​com/download/mhc9000.p​df (external link)

GEAR LIST
MY WEBSITE (external link)- MY GALLERIES (external link)- MY BLOG (external link)
Artists Archives of the Western Reserve (external link) - Board
Donate to POTN here

CloudLapser
20 posts
Joined Jun 2011

Aug 02, 2012 15:18 as a reply to  @ sapearl's post |  #39

Thanks for the welcome!
Uhh...I thought the refresh and analyze option was for determining capacity.
"Refresh & Analyze Mode
o Useful when the battery capacity needs to be determined."

"Cycle Mode
o Suitable for cycling the batteries multiple times."

But it doesn't say why.

Page 4 says :"If CYCLE mode is selected, it is also possible to review the battery
capacity of finished cycle after the completion of the first cycle"

sapearl
Cream of the Crop
15,950 posts
Gallery: 128 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2005

Aug 02, 2012 15:28 |  #40

CloudLapser wrote in post #14805714 (external link)
Thanks for the welcome!
"Refresh & Analyze Mode

"Cycle Mode

But it doesn't say why.

Page 4 says you can review the final charge capacity, but it doesn't say WHY on would choose to cycle...

Good point - I agree it is not the clearest of explanations and I typically don't use that function myself. My guess is that all it's doing is running some sort of analysis that will tell you what it's capable of holding? I don't really know. I'm sure somebody here will give a much better explanation - where is Tim when you need him? :D

Most of the time for my event jobs I just use the Charge or Refresh & Analyze Mode since I don't shoot jobs every week. If things will really sit for a while I will use Break in and if I don't feel like it's performing that well I will use Refresh & Analyze again. But the system really does work well and I like the feedback it provides.

GEAR LIST
MY WEBSITE (external link)- MY GALLERIES (external link)- MY BLOG (external link)
Artists Archives of the Western Reserve (external link) - Board
Donate to POTN here

CloudLapser
20 posts
Joined Jun 2011

Aug 02, 2012 21:59 as a reply to  @ sapearl's post |  #41

Thanks for your support...
how do you like the set up so far?

kay188
825 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Aug 03, 2012 16:40 |  #42

CloudLapser wrote in post #14805714 (external link)
Thanks for the welcome!
"Refresh & Analyze Mode

"Cycle Mode

But it doesn't say why.

Page 4 says :"If CYCLE mode is selected, it is also possible to review the battery
capacity of finished cycle after the completion of the first cycle"

Refresh & Analyze will charge, discharge, and charge the batteries and give you a final mah reading of the cells.

Cycle Mode will charge and discharge for how many cycles you want it to do, such as 10 cycles for example.
It will keep charging and discharging 10 times, giving a final charged battery result.

At the end of the cycles you have selected in cycle mode, you use the up and down keys to cycle through the mah ratings that the charger reads after ONE full discharge and charge cycle.

---------

I always discharge any batteries that are low, such as in a flash I use, @ 100ma, and charge them at 200ma to achieve maximum charge capacity.

My batteries has lasted so long this way. Also, I don't need to refresh and analyze them as I charge/discharge slowly anyways.
I will charge at faster rates if needed to. I just discharge them slowly after usage, or no use at all to maintain the cell's in top operating performance.

Ricoh GRD4 | Canon 1Ds, 1D, 1D2, 1D2n| Canon XTi | Tokina 11-16 F/2.8 | Canon 16-35L I | Canon 24 F/2.8 | Canon 35 F/2 | Canon 50 F/1.8 I | Canon 135L | Sigma 24-70 EX DG Macro | Sigma 70-200 F/2.8 APO EX DG | Sigma 30 F/1.4 |Sigma 50 F/1.4 |Sigma & Kenko 1.4x TC| Canon 580EX II | Sigma EF-500 Super | 2x Vivitar 285HV | RF-602 Triggers |

Ming-Tzu
919 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Apr 2012

Aug 27, 2012 18:44 |  #43

Great thread. Dumb question but how do you have it discharge and automatically charge? Do you use cycle instead? I find that I discharge, and once that's done, I can't press any other functions for that battery. I have to take the battery out, reinsert it and then charge.

<insert gear here>

lar55
277 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Aug 27, 2012 19:32 |  #44

You are correct, there is no "discharge-charge" setting, and also that you have to remove and re-insert the batteries to start a new mode. So if you really want to do that, you have to use a discharge cycle, re-insert batteries, then use a charge cycle.

I mostly just do a regular charge cycles, and once in a while do a Refresh/Analyze (which seems to take about 12 hours). This is with Maha "Imedions".

Ming-Tzu
919 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Apr 2012

Aug 27, 2012 23:01 |  #45

Thanks for the info. I figured as much. One more thing. I'm assuming there's no quick way for me to figure out how much power I have left on the battery without going through a long process?

<insert gear here>

sponsored links

20,602 views & 0 likes for this thread
How do you guys use your Maha C9000 with your eneloops or any battery?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.