Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 01 Aug 2012 (Wednesday) 19:44
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

How would you shoot this? (exposure)

FredM
113 posts
Joined Nov 2005

Aug 01, 2012 19:44 |  #1

Would appreciate any opinions, even if they dismiss my train of thought.

When the sun is lower on the building it isn't too hard to get decent exposure for the sign and the players (I could have had this with better aperture and composition :()

IMAGE: http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7264/7694665392_b2e70d8e24_b.jpg

But when it rises to the sign it is blown out even with the player being underexposed
IMAGE: http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7106/7694660364_cb13567b3a_b.jpg

Was thinking of having the player almost blacked out and outlined with glow from sunlight but I find it distracting (looking for facial features etc) unless the subjects back is facing you.
Would it be? Imagine this a little darker.

IMAGE: http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8285/7694711522_ea11171855_c.jpg

Excuses:
composition terrible, avoiding heads and hands of crowd; aperture wide open because they jog once they get off the steps and I wanted a good close up, will stop it down next time; sun was rising up the building so fast I finally just started shooting to see how it looked in order to figure out the exposure for next time

sponsored links
Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
45,238 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005

Aug 01, 2012 20:28 |  #2

Fill flash

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

Nature ­ Nut
Goldmember
1,366 posts
Joined May 2012

Aug 01, 2012 20:37 |  #3

Add a little shadow fill and WB on the players would be my 2 cents. I don't know if these kind of shots would benefit from silhouetting IMHO.

Adam - Upstate NY:

NewEnglandPhotographer
Goldmember
2,343 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Aug 01, 2012 20:40 |  #4

Wilt wrote in post #14802242 (external link)
Fill flash

this.

Canon 7D | 70-200mm f2.8is II L | 24-70mm f2.8 L | 50mm f1.8 | 28mm f1.8 | Canon 1.4x TC II | 580EX II

FredM
THREAD ­ STARTER
113 posts
Joined Nov 2005

Aug 01, 2012 22:17 |  #5

I should have mentioned, I was already the extreme odd ball in the crowd with only a 60D and 70-200 F4 IS. Full power blasts from a 580ex just wouldn't be in my comfort zone here.

dinanm3atl
Goldmember
3,123 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Aug 01, 2012 22:20 |  #6

FredM wrote in post #14802680 (external link)
I should have mentioned, I was already the extreme odd ball in the crowd with only a 60D and 70-200 F4 IS. Full power blasts from a 580ex just wouldn't be in my comfort zone here.

That is what you need to get it correct. Don't worry about what other's think. Get the good shot and enjoy your results.

Halston - MotorSports Photographer
1Dx - 1Dx - A7r - 400L f/2.8 - 70-200L f/2.8 - 24-105L f/4 - 17-40L f/4 - 50 f/1.4 - 8mm f/3.5 Fisheye - 1.4x TC - 2x TC
Photography Site (external link)

watt100
Cream of the Crop
14,021 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Aug 02, 2012 11:20 |  #7

I agree with the others, either fill flash is in your "comfort zone" or that's what you're going to get

stsva
Cream of the Crop
6,360 posts
Gallery: 45 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Aug 02, 2012 12:31 |  #8

Really high contrast, so without flash you're pretty much stuck with what you already have, doing pure silhouettes, or shooting exposure bracketed shots and fixing in post.

Some Canon stuff and a little bit of Yongnuo.
http://www.pbase.com/s​tsva/profile (external link)
Member of the GIYF
Club and
HAMSTTR
٩ Breeders Club https://photography-on-the.net …=744235&highlig​ht=hamsttr Join today!
Image Editing OK

RTPVid
Goldmember
3,365 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Aug 02, 2012 12:33 |  #9

Get a Nikon. It has the DR to cover this shot (or so I've read). ;)

Tom

sandpiper
Cream of the Crop
7,171 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Aug 02, 2012 12:59 |  #10

Well, you need to decide if you want to be an oddball who takes good pics by using the right gear, or an oddball who can't cope with awkward lighting conditions and gets bad results. As "serious" photographers we will always stand out in a crowd of people using iPhones to take pics. You probably feel that you stand out more than you do, the vast majority of people won't be paying you any attention at all. Those who do, just ignore them and get on with what you are doing, concentrate on your photography and you won't notice them.

I am sure I look pretty unusual shooting at night, with a tripod, in the city centre of Manchester or Liverpool, or at an event with two bodies (both with white lenses) hung around my neck, or lying on the floor to get a low angle. I just don't pay any attention to passers by that stop and watch. I am there to take the best images I can, I am not going to take poor shots just so that I look less of an oddball.

PUREBRAD
417 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Aug 02, 2012 14:17 as a reply to  @ sandpiper's post |  #11

In lieu of using a flash fill, set the exposure metering to "spot" and use the center AF point for focusing. Obviously, this will affect the way you compose the shot, (as subject will always be dead center in frame) but having the subject in the center of the frame by no means seriously artistically effects these types of shots. Make sure your subject completely fills the spot circle in the viewfinder. Bump up the ISO if necessary.

You will most likely end up over-exposing the background, but that is a fair trade-off for well exposed subjects in this type of situation.

50D / 28-1.8 / 100-2.8L / 200-2.8L / YN565Ex

Tigerkn
Goldmember
4,097 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined Feb 2009

Aug 02, 2012 14:30 |  #12

If you want to go off-road, you need a 4 wheels drive :)

Website (external link) | Facebook (external link) | Instagram (external link) | Gears (external link)

PUREBRAD
417 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Aug 02, 2012 14:44 as a reply to  @ Tigerkn's post |  #13

Also, I forgot to mention, as others have commented, using fill would work. (Which I agree completely). From a technical standpoint, they are all correct. However, it would be completely careless to use a flash in a situation where the subjects are walking down a flight of stairs. Making it even more dangerous would be the fact that they are wearing cleats (if you've ever worn cleats on stairs, you know how difficult it can be to maintain your footing / balance) and the fact that they are probably exhausted from the competition, all adds up to the likelihood that someone will be momentarily blinded, trip and fall.

Using a flash in this situation would not be appropriate.

50D / 28-1.8 / 100-2.8L / 200-2.8L / YN565Ex

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
45,238 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Aug 02, 2012 15:32 |  #14

PUREBRAD wrote in post #14805563 (external link)
Also, I forgot to mention, as others have commented, using fill would work. (Which I agree completely). From a technical standpoint, they are all correct. However, it would be completely careless to use a flash in a situation where the subjects are walking down a flight of stairs. Making it even more dangerous would be the fact that they are wearing cleats (if you've ever worn cleats on stairs, you know how difficult it can be to maintain your footing / balance) and the fact that they are probably exhausted from the competition, all adds up to the likelihood that someone will be momentarily blinded, trip and fall.

Using a flash in this situation would not be appropriate.

A flash, which at 1/1000 is 1/10th of the blink of an eye, would endanger someone coming down stairs?! If that were the case, blinking the eyes would be 10x the risk factor for a single blink, and in the time of decending one staircase, they might end up with 100x the risk of a single flash! And texting while driving would be 10000x times the risk.

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

pixiepearls
I do bad things in the dark
3,061 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Aug 02, 2012 16:25 |  #15

dinanm3atl wrote in post #14802693 (external link)
That is what you need to get it correct. Don't worry about what other's think. Get the good shot and enjoy your results.

My father has always told me, never worry or think about the other photographers are doing, do what you know needs to be done, problem solve yourself. Just do it.

Brandy 500px (external link)
I ♥ my 5D TF'd March '11
DARKROOM CHEMIST BLOG (external link) - My Dad's Pix (external link)

sponsored links

2,391 views & 0 likes for this thread
How would you shoot this? (exposure)
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.