Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 30 Jul 2012 (Monday) 07:42
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Christmas backdrop suggestions?

GerryDavid
Goldmember
1,802 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Mar 2005

Jul 30, 2012 07:42 |  #1

Its my goal to get 2 or 3 new backdrops for Christmas, the past few years I have tried using a real tree but my actual backdrop options were pretty basic and I am trying to improve upon that and get more customers this year.

I checked out dennymfg but their Christmas selection is rather lacking, other than an outside door one, but that would require to be an 8x10 with 8 being the width. If I were to spend the extra money and get an 8x10 I would prefer it to be horizontal to fit more people.

I would a really nice and classy looking fireplace set for one backdrop.

For another perhaps a winter wonderland, I loved the scene from the first narnia movie but that might be a bit dated now.

And for a 3rd perhaps a nice looking Christmas tree one that is wide, 10x8.

Any suggestions? My budget for this is around $300. Right now denny has a descent sale, 6x8's for half price and 40% off 8x10's and since im a club member I save a tiny bit more and close to free shipping.

Canon investor

sponsored links
AlexB_Photo
147 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Aug 01, 2012 19:38 |  #2

I follow Backdrop Outlet on Facebook, not sure why (I've never bought anything) but they seem to have sales going on ALL the time. They don't seen obnoxiously overpriced to me, granted my backdrops come from sheets of fabric from Jo-Ann's Fabrics and Mardens. =]

Active Lifestyle Photography & Video (external link)
Facebook Page (external link)
6D w/ grip | 70D | 24-105mm f/4L IS, 70-200mm f/4L
For Sale:
20D * 2, 450D w/ grip, Tenba Medium Shootout Backpack

GerryDavid
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,802 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Aug 01, 2012 20:13 |  #3

They have a much larger selection of Christmas designs that denny but nothing that really impressed me. And denny only has 1 that im tempted by.

What are some other good backdrop stores? :D

Canon investor

rjharris
983 posts
Gallery: 70 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Mar 2010

Aug 01, 2012 22:09 |  #4

http://www.backdropcit​y.com/christmas.htm (external link)

GerryDavid
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,802 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Aug 01, 2012 22:15 |  #5

Im tempted to just contact the local high schools art teachers and put together some sort of contest for their students. they can draw out a design or what have you and submit it, then ahve a voting period and the winner will get the chance to paint the canvas or perhaps the class can *I'll supply the drop and paint* and the winner will get a Christmas family portrait worth $500 or something.

Canon investor

Old ­ Coot
295 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Aug 02, 2012 11:48 as a reply to  @ GerryDavid's post |  #6

I bought one like this last year-
http://www.ebay.com …op-SV191B22-/250904838057 (external link)

It is okay, except for the harsh wrinkles that won't lay out.

5d | 50d | 1d mii | Rebel G 35mm | Polaroid 100, 210, 360 | Bigma | Tokina 80-200 | Promaster 19-35 | 580ex | Olde Tyme Novatron strobes

GerryDavid
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,802 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Aug 02, 2012 12:06 |  #7

most of these Christmas designs look either to dull, to fake, to cartoony or to ugly. :) I see an opening in the market that someone could succeed with, with an awesome set of backrops!! :)

I do like the one you posted, cept it is a bit to fake looking.

hte last couple years I just decorated a huge tree and used that, but that requires walking people through the building from one end to another through a hair salon and I want more options. :)

Canon investor

Old ­ Coot
295 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Aug 02, 2012 19:55 as a reply to  @ GerryDavid's post |  #8

It is a bit cartoonish. Like you, I could not find one that I really liked. For what I needed it for, it worked-

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

5d | 50d | 1d mii | Rebel G 35mm | Polaroid 100, 210, 360 | Bigma | Tokina 80-200 | Promaster 19-35 | 580ex | Olde Tyme Novatron strobes

sponsored links

1,545 views & 0 likes for this thread
Christmas backdrop suggestions?
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.