Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 30 Jul 2012 (Monday) 11:06
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

What do you charge for a 1 hour shoot?

joshhuntnm
153 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Jul 30, 2012 11:06 |  #1

What is the going rate for a 1 hour shoot? What do you charge?

Josh
Las Cruces Wedding Photography (external link)
Las Cruces, NM Wedding Photographer (external link)
www.joshhunt.com (external link)
http://www.lascruceswe​bdesign.net/ (external link)

sponsored links
JacobPhoto
Goldmember
1,434 posts
Joined Jun 2005

Jul 30, 2012 11:28 |  #2

Most 1 hour shoots aren't worth my time to leave the house.

~ Canon 7d / 5D ~ Novatron strobe setup + Vagabond
~ Some L glass, some flashes, the usual

charro ­ callado
Goldmember
1,144 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Mar 2008

Jul 30, 2012 11:31 |  #3

There's really no such thing as a 1 hour shoot.

Thomas ­ Campbell
Goldmember
2,105 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Jul 30, 2012 12:01 |  #4

Depends on the shoot and usage and client relationships. I charge $450 for engagements or bridals, which are usually 60-90 minutes.

Houston Wedding Photographer (external link)
Houston Sports Photographer (external link)
Current Gear List

pbisfun
231 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Jul 30, 2012 13:04 |  #5

I charge 100 an hour for in the studio 150 if It is on location. Then I charge 25 dollars per picture. if it is for commercial use then there is a license fee.

the light is seen by all but not understood by all
http://photoSentimenta​l.com (external link)

illrooster132
Goldmember
1,068 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Jul 30, 2012 13:41 |  #6

JacobPhoto wrote in post #14790312 (external link)
Most 1 hour shoots aren't worth my time to leave the house.

charro callado wrote in post #14790330 (external link)
There's really no such thing as a 1 hour shoot.

wish i was in this position.
however I charge $150.00 hour

You dont take a picture ! you just borrow it.:cool:
https://www.facebook.c​om/lightburstphotograp​hyexternal link
http://ligthburstphoto​graphy.webs.com/external link

brianodom
672 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Jul 30, 2012 15:30 |  #7

pbisfun wrote in post #14790733 (external link)
I charge 100 an hour for in the studio 150 if It is on location. Then I charge 25 dollars per picture. if it is for commercial use then there is a license fee.

bw! the more i see these type replies the more i feel I'm heading in the right direction

Canon EOS 5DsR - 6D - 70D|Canon 17-40L|Σ 35mm 1.4|Tammy 24-70 |Σ 70-200 2.8 and 35mm Art
YONGNUO YN 568 Speedlight X3|
Portfolio: web: www.mattodomphotograph​y.com + Instagram:www.instagra​m.com/mattodomphoto/ + FB: Matt Odom Photography

JacobPhoto
Goldmember
1,434 posts
Joined Jun 2005

Jul 30, 2012 15:32 |  #8

In my experience, most people who ask for 'just' a 1-hour shoot are looking to spend as little as possible. I'll leave those gigs to the craigslisters or GWC's.

I have a 1/2 day minimum on any unsolicited inquiries into my rates. This helps me to focus on the clients who are serious about obtaining my services.

~ Canon 7d / 5D ~ Novatron strobe setup + Vagabond
~ Some L glass, some flashes, the usual

RDKirk
Adorama says I'm "packed."
13,410 posts
Joined May 2004

Aug 01, 2012 13:27 |  #9

JacobPhoto wrote in post #14791421 (external link)
In my experience, most people who ask for 'just' a 1-hour shoot are looking to spend as little as possible. I'll leave those gigs to the craigslisters or GWC's.

I have a 1/2 day minimum on any unsolicited inquiries into my rates. This helps me to focus on the clients who are serious about obtaining my services.

I tend to go this way. As has been stated, there's no such thing as a 1-hour shoot from a total cost perspective.

A 60-minute session on location probably involves at least an additional two hours for consultation, planning, preparation, travel, and recovery. That makes it effectively a half-day event for cost purposes, and it should be priced accordingly. If you specify a dollar amount per hour usually also stipulate a miminum number of hours they can be contracted for the same reason--a "one hour" session on location effectively consumes half a day.

TANSTAAFL--The Only Unbreakable Rule in Photography

CosmoKid
Goldmember
4,235 posts
Joined May 2009

Aug 01, 2012 13:58 |  #10

I charge $350 for "up to" 90 minutes of shooting within 20 minutes of my town. That includes basic editing, an on-line gallery and 1 8 x 10 + 2 5 x 7s.

Joe- 2 bodies, L 2.8 zoom trilogy and a couple of primes
iRocktheShot.com (external link) - Portfolio (external link)

Gear/Feedback
Facebook "Fan" Page (external link) -

AlexB_Photo
147 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Aug 01, 2012 19:25 |  #11

Well 90% of the time I shoot people, we're done in about an hour or less. If I only go 5 minutes over I'll still charge them an hour though.

For seniors, which is roughly an hour, I do between $50 and $100 for just the sitting fee. I then bump my prints and disc prices on top of that.

I do just about the same thing for couples, families, and other related situations.

Active Lifestyle Photography & Video (external link)
Facebook Page (external link)
6D w/ grip | 70D | 24-105mm f/4L IS, 70-200mm f/4L
For Sale:
20D * 2, 450D w/ grip, Tenba Medium Shootout Backpack

elrey2375
Thinks it's irresponsible
4,992 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Aug 01, 2012 21:38 |  #12

Depends on what it is. Portraits, $175 for an hour. That doesn't include prints.

http://emjfotografi.co​m/ (external link)
http://500px.com/EMJFo​tografi (external link)

veritasimg
210 posts
Joined Sep 2011

Aug 02, 2012 11:50 |  #13

Instead of putting an X-amount of dollars per hour. I would suggest that you consider how much you need to charge to achieve a profitable enterprise based on the standard of living you like.

Vancouver Portrait Photographer (external link) | Our latest Works @ Veritas Images (external link) | Let's Get Social! (external link)

arich
401 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Aug 02, 2012 15:08 |  #14

elrey2375 wrote in post #14802528 (external link)
Depends on what it is. Portraits, $175 for an hour. That doesn't include prints.

This

http://andrew-richardson.net (external link)

markd61
60 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Aug 03, 2012 01:12 |  #15

veritasimg wrote in post #14804802 (external link)
Instead of putting an X-amount of dollars per hour. I would suggest that you consider how much you need to charge to achieve a profitable enterprise based on the standard of living you like.

This fellow is making a great point.
You need to look at your business as a whole. What do you want to earn per year? What are ALL your costs? How many sessions will you get/want? This gives you an average session goal.

If you are doing this as a paid hobby then you decide what piece of gear you want in how many sessions and then you have an answer.

sponsored links

4,983 views & 0 likes for this thread
What do you charge for a 1 hour shoot?
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.