Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 03 Aug 2012 (Friday) 09:53
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Suggestions for carrying 60D - bag? strap?

gizmo17
74 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Aug 03, 2012 09:53 |  #1

I'm going away next week with the family to CA, in CA, it'll be a bit of a road trip ranging from a wedding, maybe a day at the beach and Disney of course for the kids.
I was trying to come up with a solution that would allow me to carry my camera more conveniently and in a less tiring manner. I plan on bringing my 17-50 and would also like to bring my 70-200 lens, even though it's quite heavy. My camera currently has a Opteka handstrap on it; the handstrap is sometimes that convenient, especially with the 70-200 on it. I also have a Lowepro AW 200 and a big Caselogic (DCB-309) bag that fits everything. I'd prefer to leave the backpack at home and the Lowepro doesn't fit the 70-200.
At first I thought of getting a Black Rapids RS7 strap, than also read some reviews on the Crumpler 5MDH and thought that would be good. So after reading pages of reviews for the last 30-40 minutes, I think I'm back at square one.
I even considered picking up a 24-105 and leaving the 70-200 at home. Sigh...maybe just using trip as an excuse to throw more $$ into the hobby. :D
Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Canon 60D / Canon 50mm f1.4 / Sigma 17-50 f/2.8 OS / Canon 530ex ii
Canon 70-200L II IS

sponsored links
treck_dialect
689 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Aug 03, 2012 11:08 |  #2

how about a small shoulder bag since you already have a handstrap?

well hello
http://aleccorpuz.word​press.com/ (external link)
Flickr (external link)

gizmo17
THREAD ­ STARTER
74 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Aug 03, 2012 11:13 as a reply to  @ treck_dialect's post |  #3

Would a small shoulder bag fit the 70-200 mounted? I need to goto a physical store to check out the Crumplers everyone talks about. Too bad B&H closes early today.

Canon 70-200L II IS

treck_dialect
689 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Aug 03, 2012 11:33 |  #4

i think that fits into the domke f-3x. not sure about the crumpler though.

well hello
http://aleccorpuz.word​press.com/ (external link)
Flickr (external link)

canon60D
Hatchling
4 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Aug 03, 2012 22:33 |  #5

I have a 6 million dollar home and a rapid strap RS5, now that I've bought a few more lenses the 6 MDH is too cramped! Wish I'd bought bigger.
Get yourself the rapid and pack both your lenses very safely in with your regular luggage. Then decide on the day which lens to take out.
Or... get the 24-105! You know you want one. :) Definitely get a Rapid.

Judsonzhao
Goldmember
1,198 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Aug 03, 2012 23:29 |  #6

canon60D wrote in post #14811933 (external link)
I have a 6 million dollar home and a rapid strap RS5, now that I've bought a few more lenses the 6 MDH is too cramped! Wish I'd bought bigger.
Get yourself the rapid and pack both your lenses very safely in with your regular luggage. Then decide on the day which lens to take out.

try pro messenger 200aw

Fly me away.

Silverfox1
Goldmember
3,194 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Aug 2009

Aug 04, 2012 10:45 as a reply to  @ Judsonzhao's post |  #7

I have experienced comfort & convenience with the below two items that work nice with the camera + battery pack + 2 lens combo your speaking about:

The below which will carry the 70-200f2.8 attached to the camera:

http://www.thinktankph​oto.com …igital-holster-50-v2.aspx (external link)

Video description: http://www.youtube.com …U&feature=playe​r_embedded (external link)!

The below which will attach to your belt to carry the 17-50 & slightly larger lenses:

http://www.amazon.com …eywords=lowepro​+lens+case (external link)

Regards,Ron ;)

Silverfox1 POTN Feedback / TC Extender Tests / Gear List

mwsilver
Goldmember
3,908 posts
Gallery: 51 photos
Joined Oct 2011

Aug 05, 2012 01:23 |  #8

gizmo17 wrote in post #14809117 (external link)
I'm going away next week with the family to CA, in CA, it'll be a bit of a road trip ranging from a wedding, maybe a day at the beach and Disney of course for the kids.
I was trying to come up with a solution that would allow me to carry my camera more conveniently and in a less tiring manner. I plan on bringing my 17-50 and would also like to bring my 70-200 lens, even though it's quite heavy. My camera currently has a Opteka handstrap on it; the handstrap is sometimes that convenient, especially with the 70-200 on it. I also have a Lowepro AW 200 and a big Caselogic (DCB-309) bag that fits everything. I'd prefer to leave the backpack at home and the Lowepro doesn't fit the 70-200.
At first I thought of getting a Black Rapids RS7 strap, than also read some reviews on the Crumpler 5MDH and thought that would be good. So after reading pages of reviews for the last 30-40 minutes, I think I'm back at square one.
I even considered picking up a 24-105 and leaving the 70-200 at home. Sigh...maybe just using trip as an excuse to throw more $$ into the hobby. :D
Any suggestions would be appreciated.

While I use a Sunsniper strap, I have a couple of light weight walk around cases including your lowpro. I'm also a fan of ThinkTank. The one that I believe would meet your needs is the ThinkTank Digital Holster 40 V 2.0. It's a little shorter then the Model 50 mentioned in the post above, but I believe it would be big enough to meet your needs while being a little more compact. The case will hold a professional camera, or one with a grip, or without a grip for that matter, and will hold it with an attached lens up to a 24-70mm, without using the extension. With the extension, it supposedly will hold a 70-200mm f 2.8 attached to a body. The strap is very comfortable and long enough so it can be adjusted to fit over your head onto the opposite shoulder. The holster is nicely shaped and fits comfortably against the hip, something like a pistol holster on steroids. Here's a link to the model 40. http://www.thinktankph​oto.com …igital-holster-40-v2.aspx (external link). If you're interested in this case, try to check out both the model 40 and the model 50 with your own equipment to see which works best for you.

Mark
Canon 7D2, 60D, T3i, T2i, Sigma 18-35 f/1.8, 30 f/1.4. Canon EF 70-200 L f/4 IS, EF 35 f/2 IS, EFs 10-18 STM, EFs 15-85, EFs 18-200, EF 50 f/1.8 STM, Tamron 18-270 PZD, B+W MRC CPL, Canon 320EX, Vanguard Alta Pro 254CT & SBH 250 head. RODE Stereo Videomic Pro, DXO PhotoLab Elite, ON1

canon60D
Hatchling
4 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Aug 05, 2012 03:29 |  #9

gizmo17 wrote in post #14809117 (external link)
...I also have a Lowepro AW 200 and a big Caselogic (DCB-309) bag that fits everything. I'd prefer to leave the backpack at home and the Lowepro doesn't fit the 70-200.... At first I thought of getting a Black Rapids RS7 strap, than also read some reviews on the Crumpler 5MDH and thought that would be good.

The 5MDH would be smaller, my 6 MDH looks about the same as the Lowepro AW200. At most I fit 60D with lens in the middle and a lens each side....which becomes cramped and a little heavy for me, I prefer to travel light ie Cam/Lens on Rapid strap. This all depends what else you are doing too, playing with kids... yadda yadda.

Let us know what you decide.

gizmo17
THREAD ­ STARTER
74 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Aug 05, 2012 23:46 |  #10

canon60D wrote in post #14811933 (external link)

Yeah, I definitely want one...but my wallet is saying otherwise! I'm leaning towards a Black Rapid (not sure which one RS-7 / Sport / or maybe even lefty?) and the Opteka neoprene cover. But than I can only carry one lens with me. :confused:

Canon 70-200L II IS

gizmo17
THREAD ­ STARTER
74 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Aug 05, 2012 23:56 |  #11

canon60D wrote in post #14816094 (external link)
The 5MDH would be smaller, my 6 MDH looks about the same as the Lowepro AW200. At most I fit 60D with lens in the middle and a lens each side....which becomes cramped and a little heavy for me, I prefer to travel light ie Cam/Lens on Rapid strap. This all depends what else you are doing too, playing with kids... yadda yadda.

Let us know what you decide.

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll stop by b&h tomorrow to check out some of the bags mentioned here and may pickup the Black Rapid. My goal is to get some nice photos, not let the camera get in the way and to not feel like i stole Batman's utility belt. Might be asking too much. We'll see! :D

Canon 70-200L II IS

mwsilver
Goldmember
3,908 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Aug 06, 2012 00:14 |  #12

gizmo17 wrote in post #14819689 (external link)
Thanks for the suggestions, I'll stop by b&h tomorrow to check out some of the bags mentioned here and may pickup the Black Rapid. My goal is to get some nice photos, not let the camera get in the way and to not feel like i stole Batman's utility belt. Might be asking too much. We'll see! :D

The SunSniper strap is close to identical to the Black Rapid in most respects. They were both designed by the same people although they are now two different companies. I believe Sun Sniper is German but is also available here. B&H carries both lines. Some have reported that the Sun Sniper is a bit more comfortable to wear. I have one and like it. Make sure the camera screw is tightened sufficiently into the tripod socket. If you dampen the rubber washer very slightly it makes a better and tighter connection. Check the connection occasionally. It can work itself loose over time. Thinking of adding a tether to mine from the slide to the left lug as extra protection. But that would be difficult if you use the tripod pocket on a lens.

Mark
Canon 7D2, 60D, T3i, T2i, Sigma 18-35 f/1.8, 30 f/1.4. Canon EF 70-200 L f/4 IS, EF 35 f/2 IS, EFs 10-18 STM, EFs 15-85, EFs 18-200, EF 50 f/1.8 STM, Tamron 18-270 PZD, B+W MRC CPL, Canon 320EX, Vanguard Alta Pro 254CT & SBH 250 head. RODE Stereo Videomic Pro, DXO PhotoLab Elite, ON1

canon60D
Hatchling
4 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Aug 06, 2012 04:33 |  #13

gizmo17 wrote in post #14819689 (external link)
Thanks for the suggestions, I'll stop by b&h tomorrow to check out some of the bags mentioned here and may pickup the Black Rapid.
My goal is to get some nice photos, not let the camera get in the way and to not feel like i stole Batman's utility belt. Might be asking too much. We'll see! :D

Have a good look at the RS4 classic, the one thing I don't like about the RS5 is the extra storage area and how it is held on by a magnet. The RS7 could be similar?
My iphone doesn't fit in the phone pouch either. The basic principle of being able to slide your camera up to shoot is excellent so the classic might be less like Batmans utility belt... lol.

gizmo17
THREAD ­ STARTER
74 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Aug 06, 2012 10:29 |  #14

Thanks again for the suggeestions, much appreciated. I think I'm reading too much, saw this thread and now I'm rethinking my anticipated purchase:
https://photography-on-the.net …/showthread.php​?t=1129710
I'm sure there must be many, many satisfied users out there with no problems...but not sure if I want to chance it. I guess a backup tether would be wise. I have to see it in person to make a decision.

Canon 70-200L II IS

mwsilver
Goldmember
3,908 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Aug 06, 2012 11:50 |  #15

gizmo17 wrote in post #14820976 (external link)
Thanks again for the suggeestions, much appreciated. I think I'm reading too much, saw this thread and now I'm rethinking thinking my anticipated purchase:
https://photography-on-the.net …/showthread.php​?t=1129710
I'm sure there must be many, many satisfied users out there with no problems...but not sure if I want to chance it. I guess a backup tether would be wise. I have to see it in person to make a decision.

My Sun Sniper makes me a bit nervous. I shouldn't have to waste energy worrying about the integrity of a camera strap. Since my earlier post, I am searching in earnest for a way to attach a tether from the slide to the left lug in case the screw in the tripod mount loosens. There are actually a number of folks who has suggested various modifications to accomplish this. Do some Google searches.

Mark

sponsored links

4,928 views & 0 likes for this thread
Suggestions for carrying 60D - bag? strap?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.