Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 02 Aug 2012 (Thursday) 16:29
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Why are White Box lenses cheaper?

EricaBreetoe
84 posts
Joined May 2012

Aug 02, 2012 16:29 |  #1
bannedPermanent ban

With the lens I am looking at there is a 70 dollar difference between white box and non white box. Are there any other differences besides the print on the box? It seems odd that there is a significant price difference. Thanks!

sponsored links
L.J.G.
"Not brigth enough"
10,463 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Jul 2010

Aug 02, 2012 16:34 |  #2

They are out of a kit that has been broken up. Many people only want the body, not the kit lens that goes with it so, they are then sold sperately as a white box lens.

Lloyd
Never make the same mistake twice, there are so many new ones, try a different one each day
Gear Flick (external link)r

RTPVid
Goldmember
3,365 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Aug 02, 2012 16:35 |  #3

The white box is likely from a broken up kit, not intended to be sold separately. Hence, it cost the store less, hence it is worth less at retail. Functionally and in every other way, it is likely identical to a branded-box version. Just be sure it is covered by the manufacturer's warranty where you are (i.e. it is not a gray market import).

Tom

EricNguyen
35 posts
Joined May 2012

Aug 02, 2012 16:41 |  #4

Simple: because it was lenses kit :D

EricaBreetoe
THREAD ­ STARTER
84 posts
Joined May 2012

Aug 02, 2012 16:49 |  #5
bannedPermanent ban

oh man I cant believe I didnt think of that myself, lol. Thanks guys!

bps
Cream of the Crop
7,607 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Aug 03, 2012 01:20 |  #6

I have to admit, it's a little crazy because it is the same exact lens!

Bryan

My Gear List

Lowner
"I'm the original idiot"
12,924 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Aug 03, 2012 03:02 |  #7

I have already been told that the first 24-70L mark 2's will be from broken kits. This I was told while we were stood next to the Canon rep standing listening to every word. So its acnowledged if not approved.

Richard

http://rcb4344.zenfoli​o.com (external link)

prustyaditya
55 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Aug 03, 2012 04:03 |  #8

White box lenses are lenses that have either been Manufacture refurbished or have been taken out of kit, to be sold separately. A white box lens should have any differences to it if its taken out of the kit, apart from a few finger prints !

hi.

artyH
Goldmember
2,115 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Aug 03, 2012 08:55 |  #9

If they are refurbished, then the retailer has to tell you this. The white box lens could be a return, where the original box was damaged. It is conceivable that it could be a demo model. If refurbished, then it wouldn't come with the original warranty from Canon.
If a retailer is sending out refurbs, and calling them new, then they are conning folks.

maximus_73
297 posts
Joined May 2012

Aug 03, 2012 11:47 |  #10

Because Canon can save money in ink, and therefore you can get it cheaper. :D :D :D

Cameras: Canon EOS M, FujiFilm X-T1| Lenses: FD 50mm 1.4, Fujinon 23mm 1.4, Fujinon 56 1.2, Zeiss 32mm 1.8

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
43,780 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005

Aug 03, 2012 12:14 |  #11

Canon selling knockoffs of the Chinese knockoffs ? ;) :lol:

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

MotorPro
30 posts
Joined Jun 2012

Aug 03, 2012 12:17 as a reply to  @ maximus_73's post |  #12

Because Canon can get people to happily pay $70 for $.02 worth of printing. Go fiqure?

lensfreak
484 posts
Joined May 2012

Aug 03, 2012 17:46 |  #13

My 24-105 was in a white box. Prob from a 5dmk2 kit. I got it cheaper and it's still the same. Some people think having then box adds to resale. I don't. I couldn't care less for a box, it's whats inside the box that concerns me.

EricaBreetoe
THREAD ­ STARTER
84 posts
Joined May 2012

Aug 04, 2012 16:53 |  #14
bannedPermanent ban

I agree! All my lenses came from a white box, besides my 50mm which I bought used with no box. Doesnt bother me haha

smorter
Goldmember
4,506 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Aug 04, 2012 20:19 |  #15

maximus_73 wrote in post #14809634 (external link)
Because Canon can save money in ink, and therefore you can get it cheaper. :D :D :D

Not sure if you were joking, but that's also actually true

For example, a couple of years ago Canon stopped printing gold lettering on "Ultrasonic" on the lens boxes to save money. Now it's just black lettering

Wedding Photography Melbourneexternal link
Reviews: 85LII

sponsored links

6,069 views & 0 likes for this thread
Why are White Box lenses cheaper?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.