Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 03 Aug 2012 (Friday) 18:29
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Yet another Is This Fungus thread: 28-70mm f/2.8L

discojuggernaut
21 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Aug 03, 2012 18:29 |  #1

Please click here for full size image (external link)

[URL="[URL]https://dl.​dropbox.com/u/2002065/​28-70mm.JPG"]Here's the lens in question[/URL}

I got this as a real cheap craigslist deal but didn't have a flashlight with me nor did i do the due diligence that i should have with a high-ticket as-is item. AF and aperture work fine on it, but there is a yellowish haze cast on images at all apertures and FL, and is clearly visible through the viewfinder. I included some shots at 70mm with other 70mm shots from a different lens.

Is it condensation, oil, broken down lens cement, fungus? Looks like little yellow inorganic spots in my layman's eyes.

I really want to get this fixed, would a cleaning suffice, or would it be impossible if it's between elements?

It shows up in the rear end (the mounting end) of the lens. Otherwise the lens is pristine.

Thanks in advance

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

My Smugmug (external link)

sponsored links
Nature ­ Nut
Goldmember
1,366 posts
Joined May 2012

Aug 03, 2012 18:37 |  #2

usually fungus will grown in spots and be stringy, this looks like its across the entire lens uniformly. Couldn't say if its between the lenses or not.

http://lh5.ggpht.com …y-Bad-Close-Up%5B6%5D.jpg (external link)

Adam - Upstate NY:

rick_reno
Cream of the Crop
44,642 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Aug 03, 2012 18:52 |  #3

really hard to say from those photos. keep it away from your other lenses until you determine what it is, that stuff can spread.

discojuggernaut
THREAD ­ STARTER
21 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Aug 04, 2012 15:35 |  #4

Would appreciate any good leads on finding replacement groups in case it's between elements.

So fungus looks stringy, whereas this looks spotty, almost as if someone had spritzed olive oil. Would that lend to the theory of it being cement, or oil condensation from aperture blades?

The plex connector and aperture diaphragm were replaced recently, but the repair person was very evasive about this yellow cast.

ZoneV
Goldmember
1,644 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2010

Aug 06, 2012 09:48 |  #5

I have seen and cleaned some lenses with fungus (external link). The looked different - but fungus has several forms. I have some lenses with delamination, looks different too.
One lens with lens corrosion looks different too.
So some "fluid" inside seems possible. Are the other inner lens surface totaly clean? Probably some kind of fluid got into the lens?
Aperture blades and mechanism is oil free. Oil, or some kind of grease is in focus/zoom mechanism. Possible that that at extreme temperatures, or very low air pressure let some gas/fluid components out.

DIY-Homepage (external link) - Image Gallery (external link) - Gear List

Bill ­ Ng
Goldmember
1,208 posts
Joined May 2005

Aug 06, 2012 15:33 |  #6

Did previous owner smoke a lot (enough that the lens has a bit of odor to it)? Using the zoom while smoking can pretty easily coat the inside of the lens in a film of tabacco which would look a bit yellow as this does.

Billy Ng
1 Body
4 Lenses
3 Strobes
Never enough time

kfreels
Goldmember
4,297 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Aug 06, 2012 15:41 |  #7

Bill Ng wrote in post #14822241 (external link)
Did previous owner smoke a lot (enough that the lens has a bit of odor to it)? Using the zoom while smoking can pretty easily coat the inside of the lens in a film of tabacco which would look a bit yellow as this does.

I was gonna say the same thing. If you have ever seen the inside of a smoker's windshield you can imagine what it can do to lenses. Whatever the case, couldn't hurt to send it in for a good cleaning.

I am serious....and don't call me Shirley.
Canon 7D and a bunch of other stuff

Mike ­ Deep
Goldmember
1,901 posts
Gallery: 90 photos
Best ofs: 3
Joined Apr 2008

Aug 06, 2012 16:26 |  #8

I'd put my money on vaporized lubricants. Take it to a professional.

mikedeep.com (external link) - rocket launch photography

discojuggernaut
THREAD ­ STARTER
21 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Aug 07, 2012 12:43 |  #9

Regarding smoke or fluid vaporization, would it be safe to assume that it would accumulate on one side of an element/group, and not inbetween two elements that are cemented together?

I'm hoping a simple cleaning is all that's needed, not recementing or recoating.

I've tried taking shots with this in raw and PP'ing to try to remove the traces; it sucks, this has so much potential.

ZoneV
Goldmember
1,644 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Aug 07, 2012 13:56 |  #10

discojuggernaut wrote in post #14826251 (external link)
Regarding smoke or fluid vaporization, would it be safe to assume that it would accumulate on one side of an element/group, and not inbetween two elements that are cemented together?

Yes. Such things are relative easy to clean.

discojuggernaut
THREAD ­ STARTER
21 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Aug 08, 2012 18:31 |  #11

General consensus of the repair guys i sent emails to is this:

Most likely cause is that it's disintegrated/delamina​ted glue between elements.

Of course they won't know until they open it up.

I'm considering taking a loss and selling this on fleabay or the forums for some chap who needs any of the other elements, AF, barrel, or flex adapter/aperture diaphragm.

Or find a parts lens or specific element group and have a local place replace it.

macroimage
Goldmember
2,169 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Aug 11, 2012 00:30 |  #12

My EF 28-80 f/3.5-5.6 USM looked just like that on one of its elements. Pictures had low contrast. I had a local repair shop clean the internal surfaces. The lens works great now. It cleaned up nicely.

Photo Gear

macoyky
Hatchling
1 post
Joined Jun 2013

Jun 20, 2013 09:48 |  #13

discojuggernaut wrote in post #14832671 (external link)
General consensus of the repair guys i sent emails to is this:

Most likely cause is that it's disintegrated/delamina​ted glue between elements.

Of course they won't know until they open it up.

I'm considering taking a loss and selling this on fleabay or the forums for some chap who needs any of the other elements, AF, barrel, or flex adapter/aperture diaphragm.

Or find a parts lens or specific element group and have a local place replace it.

I think we have the same problem with the EF28-70/f2.8L. Canon Philippines refuses to clean/repair the lens for me. I didn't know until today that the cost of maintaining Canon products (including professional lenses) that have been in the market for more than 5 years would no longer be beneficial to one's operations. Maybe Nikkor Lenses have a longer useful/beneficial lifespan? I don't need an expensive paperweight!

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

ZoneV
Goldmember
1,644 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Jun 20, 2013 16:45 |  #14

macoyky wrote in post #16048284 (external link)
... I didn't know until today that the cost of maintaining Canon products (including professional lenses) that have been in the market for more than 5 years would no longer be beneficial to one's operations...

Whow, this answer from Canon is bw!

Better avoid Canon EF lenses, with only 5 years lifespan.
I am very happy with old Canon FD, Nikon AI-S, Zeiss Contax, Zeiss Jena, Steinheil, Helios, Zenit and such lenses - still working fine for 30 years or longer.

klr.b
Goldmember
2,509 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Jun 20, 2013 18:39 |  #15

macoyky wrote in post #16048284 (external link)
I think we have the same problem with the EF28-70/f2.8L. Canon Philippines refuses to clean/repair the lens for me. I didn't know until today that the cost of maintaining Canon products (including professional lenses) that have been in the market for more than 5 years would no longer be beneficial to one's operations. Maybe Nikkor Lenses have a longer useful/beneficial lifespan? I don't need an expensive paperweight!

I'm guessing that was just a typo or something lost in translation. That lens was discontinued over 11 years ago. They stopped servicing it in 2009. It doesn't make sense to fix that lens unless you got it super cheap. A third party shop should be able to clean it for you.

gordon
Gear and Feedback

sponsored links

12,195 views & 0 likes for this thread
Yet another Is This Fungus thread: 28-70mm f/2.8L
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.