Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Nikon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Nikon Cameras 
Thread started 05 Feb 2010 (Friday) 20:14
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Got a Nikon? Share your thoughts and photos here or ask a question! (II)

this thread is locked
dgrPhotos
Cream of the Crop
7,501 posts
Gallery: 38 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Apr 2011

Jul 31, 2012 16:59 |  #7606

MikeFairbanks wrote in post #14796636 (external link)
That's interesting.

I looked it up. You're right. My T2i was made in Japan, but the models after mine were made in Taiwan.

Darn tsunami. I hope that was it, because I hate to think of a bunch of folks in Japan losing a lot in one day from an earthquake, and then told their jobs are gone for good.

I hope the jobs return to Japan.

Some say that as long as the company maintains the same quality control standards in each of their factories that it won't matter where it's made.

I don't agree.

Simple solution, just buy all pro gear and then you know it comes from Japan. ;)

(of course parts are still coming in from all different regions. :p)

sponsored links
whmeltonjr
Goldmember
1,363 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Aug 01, 2012 18:40 |  #7607

So D800 shooters, two cards or just one? I'm glad I was stocking up on CF cards a while ago, I'll probably need them now.

William | Fuji X-E1 | Fuji X100S | Flickr (external link)

K6AZ
Cream of the Crop
10,250 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Nov 2008

Aug 01, 2012 21:19 |  #7608

I grabbed a SanDisk 128GB SDXC from B&H when they were on sale a while back. No need for two cards with that. It's plenty fast enough.

Flickr (external link)

rick_reno
Cream of the Crop
44,642 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Aug 01, 2012 23:36 |  #7609

whmeltonjr wrote in post #14801862 (external link)
So D800 shooters, two cards or just one? I'm glad I was stocking up on CF cards a while ago, I'll probably need them now.

I use one.

KenjiS
"Holy crap its long!"
21,355 posts
Gallery: 542 photos
Joined Oct 2008

Aug 02, 2012 03:12 |  #7610

MikeFairbanks wrote in post #14796636 (external link)
Some say that as long as the company maintains the same quality control standards in each of their factories that it won't matter where it's made.

Generally, Yes, they do

Pretty much -everything- is made in China for a reason, that reason being Labor cost...

Doesnt mean its put together any better or worse, Theres a big difference between domestic Chinese products (The stereotypical iPhooon made of very low grade plastic that is cheaply painted to sort of look like metal) and stuff for foreign markets (Like the iPhone, made of glass and aluminium!)

Gear, New and Old! RAW Club Member
Wanted: 70-200. Time and good health
Deviantart (external link)
Flickr (This is where my good stuff is!) (external link)

dgrPhotos
Cream of the Crop
7,501 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Aug 02, 2012 06:03 |  #7611

At once? Guess it depends on what/how you shoot. I always use 1 CF and 1 SD. I also have backup SD and CF cards. All Sandisk except for 1 Patriot LX and 1 Eyefi. None of my cards are greater than 32GB. This is includes 1 32GB Extreme CF and 2 32GB Extreme Pro SD cards.

ching
Goldmember
1,370 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Aug 02, 2012 07:42 |  #7612

Sandisk 64GB SDXC (Main) + Sandisk 64GB CF UDMA7 ( overflow/video)

Nikon D800

stevo8
527 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Aug 02, 2012 13:42 |  #7613

Just picked up a used D700. Figured I would just throw caution to the wind and do it. Wasn't too happy with the focus system of my 5D2 or the frame rate. Hopefully all goes well. Going to just run primes since Nikon lenses seem to be pretty pricey for their zooms.

http://500px.com/Steve​nLarman (external link)

dgrPhotos
Cream of the Crop
7,501 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Aug 02, 2012 14:44 |  #7614

Any D800 users have the Nikon TC-14E? Any issues with it?

Myboostedgst
Goldmember
1,901 posts
Gallery: 28 photos
Joined Feb 2011

Aug 03, 2012 09:36 as a reply to  @ dgrPhotos's post |  #7615

Going out shoot my first set of engagement photos tonight. Luckily it's just my brother and his fiancé who had no plans of even taking photos. So my nervousness is lower than it should be. Have been reading and looking at pictures basically every might tying I get ready. My only real concern is post processing. But that is the part that I can do over and over without taking up anybody's time.

All considered, I am excited to get out and try.

Andrew | Flickr (external link) | Instagram (external link)

jetcode
Cream of the Crop
6,234 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Aug 04, 2012 02:42 |  #7616

Last Light on Tomales Bay

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'text/html' | Byte size: ZERO

Nikon d800E Nikkor Noct 58/1.2 ISO 100 f/4 1/200 (ICC included in file view with color managed tools)

I think I have found a new friend. Color and detail that I have until now yet to experience in a DSLR. I love it.

jdizzle
Darth Noink
69,419 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Aug 04, 2012 06:28 |  #7617

^^Nice lens Jet. It's nice to know you're enjoying the D800E. Is the E version worth the extra sharpness? :)

echo
Goldmember
1,964 posts
Joined Sep 2005

Aug 04, 2012 06:44 |  #7618

Since having my 5Dmkii and all of my lenses stolen a few months ago I've been trying everything out and doing lots of research. I was an inch away from replacing with the mkiii but in the end the D800e won. I was very nearly put off by the temporary D3200 and 35mm f/1.8g combo as it was soft (to my eyes) and way too noisy, badly noisy. I had thought that some of the hype surrounding the D3200 was misplaced and wondered equally if the hype surrounding the D800 was also over the top.

Anyway, I got the D800e and took it around to my Dad's as he has a mkii and we compared shots with both cameras having similar lenses mounted on to tripods. Each using a 24-70 Canon/Nikon lens. The difference was breathtaking. I was expecting to be seeing similar results but just larger, i.e. with more resolution. I wasn't expecting the clarity to be so, so much better. Not marginal, not better but way better. Highlights took far more effort to blow out and the shadows were so good. The difference was so great my Dad went straight out and bought a D800 himself. He won't spend money on anything if he can help it. I can't over emphasise just how much better the IQ is.

I don't like saying any of this as I still love the Canon lens line up. If everything hadn't happened this way I would have got the mkiii as I had some great lenses and prefer the way the Canon bodies work. It's not easy learning a new system but then again getting comfortable isn't good. I really hope that Canon will fight back.

IMAGE: http://recordproduction.smugmug.com/Music/Record-Producers/Chris-Lord-Alge/i-zLBHWW2/0/XL/cla-realworld-2-Aug-2012-0623-XL.jpg
ISO 2000

IMAGE: http://recordproduction.smugmug.com/Music/Record-Producers/Chris-Lord-Alge/i-gJRjNJr/0/XL/cla-realworld-2-Aug-2012-0746-XL.jpg
ISO 3200

IMAGE: http://recordproduction.smugmug.com/Music/Record-Producers/Chris-Lord-Alge/i-kLT76MR/0/XL/cla-realworld-2-Aug-2012-0751-XL.jpg
ISO 4000

http://www.RecordProdu​ction.com (external link)
http://www.facebook.co​m/RecordProduction (external link)

jdizzle
Darth Noink
69,419 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Aug 04, 2012 06:52 |  #7619

^^Congrats man! It's amazing how good this sensor is at those ISOs. :)

tipidsale
331 posts
Joined Sep 2011

Aug 04, 2012 07:52 |  #7620

@ ISO 3200

IMAGE: http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7268/7702161724_1dcbdb7f42_b.jpg

sponsored links

762,017 views & 0 likes for this thread
Got a Nikon? Share your thoughts and photos here or ask a question! (II)
FORUMS Nikon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Nikon Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.