Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Astronomy & Celestial 
Thread started 28 Jul 2012 (Saturday) 00:41
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Milky Way Madness

esanders101
THREAD ­ STARTER
64 posts
Joined Jul 2012

Jul 31, 2012 13:35 |  #16

David Ransley wrote in post #14793619 (external link)
I am also coming to the conclusion that you end up blending shots to get the final result. A single exposure is good, but not good enough.

The shot below was taken the same night when all the clouds moved on. The stars looked so beautiful and due to the rain, the sky was "dust free".

This one is not a nightscape, and I left it slightly dark - but on my laptop, the light shines nicely through the image. I think I used two 20 second exposures loaded them as HDR images in a trial version of CS6 to see what Photoshop could do.

hmmm HDR huh? never heard of that technique in a milky way shot
Interesting

sponsored links
bdillon
693 posts
Joined Jun 2011

Jul 31, 2012 14:09 |  #17

esanders101 wrote in post #14791746 (external link)
QUOTED IMAGE
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com …s/esanders101/7​626358176/  (external link)
Serenity at Night (external link) by esanders01 (external link), on Flickr

Here is another example with a different white balance. The milky way is just barely visible to the right of the mountain.
This is a blended image of 3 exposures where the stars shot was taken around 1:00 am
maybe needs more adjusting?
but still a decent shot I think

Is that from Trillium Lake?
EDIT: I'm almost positive that's Trillium Lake. If so, you're shooting the wrong direction.
You want to be shooting south. You'll get the brightest part of the milky way, and most likely be pointed away from the big city lights.

bdillon
693 posts
Joined Jun 2011

Jul 31, 2012 14:13 |  #18

I've managed to get ok results with one shot.
I got some trailing on the outer edges, and the WB is intentionally off to look that way.
The JPG compression of the upload to here killed the clarity.

https://photography-on-the.net …/showthread.php​?t=1187992

esanders101
THREAD ­ STARTER
64 posts
Joined Jul 2012

Jul 31, 2012 16:21 |  #19

bdillon wrote in post #14795983 (external link)
Is that from Trillium Lake?
EDIT: I'm almost positive that's Trillium Lake. If so, you're shooting the wrong direction.
You want to be shooting south. You'll get the brightest part of the milky way, and most likely be pointed away from the big city lights.

Yes it is Trillium, Oh thanks for the advice, that sounds like a great idea. I guess I just wished the mountain was located a little more west in orientation so I could have gotten both!

esanders101
THREAD ­ STARTER
64 posts
Joined Jul 2012

Jul 31, 2012 16:25 |  #20

bdillon wrote in post #14796005 (external link)
I've managed to get ok results with one shot.
I got some trailing on the outer edges, and the WB is intentionally off to look that way.
The JPG compression of the upload to here killed the clarity.

https://photography-on-the.net …/showthread.php​?t=1187992

great shot, sorry about the hippies.
so no stacking just a single image?
I would love to hear your settings and post processing technique for that shot to get so much contrast in the MW.

PS about the JPG compression, Image quality is not lost if you upload your image to say Flickr, and then use its image scaling code to then paste in this forum. Thats what I do

bdillon
693 posts
Joined Jun 2011

Jul 31, 2012 16:38 |  #21

esanders101 wrote in post #14796574 (external link)
Yes it is Trillium, Oh thanks for the advice, that sounds like a great idea. I guess I just wished the mountain was located a little more west in orientation so I could have gotten both!

There's a NICE elevated spot just outside of Hood River where I took this shot.
Wide angle lens, pointed to the left, you'll get it AND the milky way.

I took it from this park:

https://maps.google.co​m …od+River,+Orego​n&t=m&z=14 (external link)

Later in the evening you could probably get it passing right over.

The pic I took was from Dee Wright Observatory up in the McKenzie Pass. It's SO freaking dark there you can't see your hand in front of your face.
The closest city is Sisters, which is like 18 miles away, and with a population of like 2000, it's not that big.

The shot was 30 seconds with a 16-35 F/2.8 II L at 30 @ 16mm. ISO I think was around 2000. Post is fairly simple, first I reduced noise, unsharp mask, and tonal contrast using NIK Color Efex Pro. I may have used a little clarity in Lightroom. I also tweaked highlights and shadows.

I then cooled the white balance and added a little magenta to make it look the way it does.

You looking for a photog buddy in the area?

Todd ­ Lambert
I don't like titles
12,643 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined May 2009

Jul 31, 2012 16:57 |  #22

I think some people forget that the best milky way shots are more impressive, because they had the most optimal conditions to shoot, to begin with. Always plan your shoot around the new moon for darkest skies, and then hope that there is very little atmosphere, even humidity affects things. Wait for later in the evening when the blue leaves the sky. Shoot during the summer as the MW is best then.

No light pollution from towns, etc.. tripod, mirror lock up and remote trigger, blah blah..

For me in post, I rarely exceeded 2500-3200 noise, so that meant I was normally bringing up shadows and countering the underexposure with aggressive levels and curves.

I shoot most milky way shots now, with the 24LII on a 5D3. I'll stop down to about ƒ1.8 or ƒ2. ISO 3200 and away you go.

These were very dark skies as far as skies go.

IMAGE: http://twilightscapes.com/admin/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/three-crosses.jpg

IMAGE: http://twilightscapes.com/admin/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/time-tree2.jpg

IMAGE: http://twilightscapes.com/forums/midway-001.jpg

IMAGE: http://twilightscapes.com/forums/cosmos-001.jpg

IMAGE: http://twilightscapes.com/forums/mojo-rising-001.jpg

bdillon
693 posts
Joined Jun 2011

Jul 31, 2012 17:51 |  #23

bdillon wrote in post #14796633 (external link)

The pic I took was from Dee Wright Observatory up in the McKenzie Pass. It's SO freaking dark there you can't see your hand in front of your face.
The closest city is Sisters, which is like 18 miles away, and with a population of like 2000, it's not that big.

The shot was 30 seconds with a 16-35 F/2.8 II L at 30 @ 16mm. ISO I think was around 2000. Post is fairly simple, first I reduced noise, unsharp mask, and tonal contrast using NIK Color Efex Pro. I may have used a little clarity in Lightroom. I also tweaked highlights and shadows.

I then cooled the white balance and added a little magenta to make it look the way it does.

Oops, forgot to post the shot of Mt. Hood from Hood River.
That's the north side of the mountain. No reflection in the water, though.
I think Lost lake is on the west side. Google that, it might work to get a milky way reflection.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

mtbdudex
Goldmember
1,630 posts
Gallery: 26 photos
Joined Nov 2009

Jul 31, 2012 20:59 as a reply to  @ bdillon's post |  #24

My humble T1i captured this in 2010
-at my home in Howell,Mich, some light pollution
-shot in RAW with kit lens 18-55 IS (18mm, ISO800, f3.5, 20 sec) ,
-stacked via DSS with 39 light images, 10 dark images, 15 bias images, 20 flat frames
-all post DSS PP done in Apple Aperture 3.0 (slight crop, curves, levels, saturation, vibrancy, slight sharpen)
Shooting the Milky Way: C&C for success strategies

IMAGE: http://lh6.ggpht.com/_FqTNmgNQHz8/TDq3FhV58MI/AAAAAAAAKT4/Avdm-MYnoPU/s800/7-10-2010%20MilkyWay-2.jpg

In Hillman Mich, pretty dark skies
I then did a study of single exposure vs multiple exposure....all part of the learning process
MilkyWay: single 30 sec then CS5 vs DSS
Single
IMAGE: http://lh4.ggpht.com/_FqTNmgNQHz8/TK2V1v0M3nI/AAAAAAAAK-E/IwoJQCrqhcA/s800/_MG_1156%20-%20Version%202%20with%20CS5.jpg
vs

multiple/stacked
IMAGE: http://lh3.ggpht.com/_FqTNmgNQHz8/TK2QzOtleXI/AAAAAAAAK9w/6TU3gv53YwI/s800/MilkyWay_8-10-2010%20v1.jpg

Mike R, P.E. ...iMac 27"(i7), iPad2, iPhone5s, 24" iMac, AppleTV(160), MacBook
Canon: 70D, T1i + lens:70-200 L f2.8 IS II / TC 1.4x 2x / 15-85 / f1.4 50 / UWA 11-16 Tokina
FEISOL tripod CT-3441S + CB-40D Ball Head, iOptron EQ tracker
My top 10 in Astrophotography. . .DIY acoustic panels (external link) . . APOD Aug-5-2011 (external link)

esanders101
THREAD ­ STARTER
64 posts
Joined Jul 2012

Jul 31, 2012 22:10 |  #25

Great stuff Todd.
Im guessing you stack your images? I heard that stacking causes a little bit of blur in the stars?
any tips on a program like DSS that works for mac?

esanders101
THREAD ­ STARTER
64 posts
Joined Jul 2012

Jul 31, 2012 22:11 |  #26

mtbdudex wrote in post #14797699 (external link)
My humble T1i captured this in 2010
-at my home in Howell,Mich, some light pollution
-shot in RAW with kit lens 18-55 IS (18mm, ISO800, f3.5, 20 sec) ,
-stacked via DSS with 39 light images, 10 dark images, 15 bias images, 20 flat frames
-all post DSS PP done in Apple Aperture 3.0 (slight crop, curves, levels, saturation, vibrancy, slight sharpen)
Shooting the Milky Way: C&C for success strategies
QUOTED IMAGE

In Hillman Mich, pretty dark skies
I then did a study of single exposure vs multiple exposure....all part of the learning process
MilkyWay: single 30 sec then CS5 vs DSS
Single
QUOTED IMAGE
vs

multiple/stacked
QUOTED IMAGE

Unfortunately I have a Mac and DSS won't work, any other programs work for mac as well?
Also your shots look good, how important is it to have dark frames, light frames...etc in a stack?

Todd ­ Lambert
I don't like titles
12,643 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined May 2009

Jul 31, 2012 22:57 |  #27

esanders101 wrote in post #14798020 (external link)
Great stuff Todd.
Im guessing you stack your images? I heard that stacking causes a little bit of blur in the stars?
any tips on a program like DSS that works for mac?

Thank you.

Actually none of my shots are stacked. The 4th image is a 3shot shifted pano, but other than that, these are all single exposures.

esanders101
THREAD ­ STARTER
64 posts
Joined Jul 2012

Aug 01, 2012 00:01 |  #28

Todd Lambert wrote in post #14798196 (external link)
Thank you.

Actually none of my shots are stacked. The 4th image is a 3shot shifted pano, but other than that, these are all single exposures.

Great work, as you said as your key, dark skies. I really admire that pano, did you do anything else special in pp? contrast adjustment maybe? I love how you got those colors

David ­ Ransley
673 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Aug 2008

Aug 04, 2012 08:28 |  #29

esanders101 wrote in post #14795820 (external link)
hmmm HDR huh? never heard of that technique in a milky way shot
Interesting

Yes, the one below is a 15,25 and 30 second exposure. Manually aligned, cropped and dumped into an HDR process. The Photoshop preset was for saturation.

I notice that uploading it to this forum softens the image a lot. Wonder why?

DRH

esanders101
THREAD ­ STARTER
64 posts
Joined Jul 2012

Aug 06, 2012 00:46 |  #30

bdillon wrote in post #14796633 (external link)

haha yeah that might be a great idea!

sponsored links

9,442 views & 0 likes for this thread
Milky Way Madness
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Astronomy & Celestial 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.