Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos HDR Creation 
Thread started 28 Jul 2012 (Saturday) 21:46
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Trying out Magic Lantern 2.3

wolfden
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,439 posts
Joined May 2008

Aug 03, 2012 17:20 |  #31

Very nice Kirk! I need to learn about this UniWB stuff now

~KJS~
Photos by KJS (external link) | Flickr (external link) | Blog (external link) | 500px (external link) | Google+ (external link)
Canon 60D Shooter

sponsored links
tekkie
Goldmember
2,621 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Aug 04, 2012 08:56 |  #32

fmattitude wrote in post #14807019 (external link)
First mess with the ML firmware this morning on my cam.
ML decided this was a f exposure shot :) I've put a link in but it doesn't "seem to be appearing, so I may have done something wrong, but I definitely stuck the URL in right

IMAGE NOT FOUND
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'text/html' | Byte size: ZERO

What app did you use? This is an excellent HDR that doesn't look fake and the kind of results I want :)

Canon 1DMKII, 7D, 5DMKII, 1D MKII
Canon 500L, 100-400L
, 70-200 2.8L, 17-40L, 24-105L, 24mm 2.8,50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 135mm 2.8 SF, 100mm Macro
Canon 430 & 580 flashes

fmattitude
27 posts
Joined Jul 2012

Aug 04, 2012 21:16 |  #33

tekkie wrote in post #14812960 (external link)
What app did you use? This is an excellent HDR that doesn't look fake and the kind of results I want :)

Ok here's the gear and app list. Firstly this was taken half an hour before sunrise. bout 6am.
Canon T3i with the kit 18-55mm lens.
ML's firmware, so I literally just activated the HDR setting, and took one pic, and it took the rest of the required exposures.
I dragged the RAW files into Photomatix Pro and blended it, then tweaked it with Nik Software's Dfine, to clean out a bit of noise in the sky. Not alot, as I took it at ISO100 but there was a bit.
Now onto what I DON'T like about this shot. Firstly, my tripod was cheap and cheerful, and since this shot which was only early this week, I've purchased a Manfrotto and a ball head. The tripod moved even though it was on 2sec timer and I didn't touch it, it moved. Not happy. So when I looked at the full zoom and inspected it, I found there was a loss of clarity around the lampposts that should NOT have been there.
Also, even using the lens profile and retweaking the RAWs in Adobe Bridge, didn't clean up what the lens saw enough for me.
So ANOTHER thing I've since bought (again since early this week just gone) is a Sigma 10-22mm wide angle. And I'm going to take that exact same shot again tomorrow morning or Monday morning. prob Monday morning as there will be less drunks on the beach from the night before (Aruba's Bar is right at the top of the beach lol)

One thing I have that I feel incredibly grateful about, is that one of my best mates is a professional landscape photographer, and he RIPS my photos to shreds when I do something wrong, or miss something. So I'm finding that I'm starting to pick my own RAW's apart before I even stick anything into PhotoMatix Pro.
So the new creative flow that I'm pushing myself into since I took this shot, is this:
1, MAKE SURE TRIPOD ISN'T MOVING :)
2, Import RAW's into Adobe Bridge, and stick the lens profile onto them, and tick the remove chromatic aberration's tick box
3, then import the TIF's into Photomatix Pro
4, Scan it in Dfine and see if there's any noise I really need to take care of. The good thing about DFine for me, is that it highlights potential problem spots, or atleast that's what I think its doing ;)
5, Look at the finished product, and decide if I would want that on my wall.

Aussie Landscape Photo Fiddler
Facebook (external link)
Michael PA Home Page (external link)

fmattitude
27 posts
Joined Jul 2012

Aug 04, 2012 21:19 |  #34

wolfden wrote in post #14807973 (external link)
Magic Lantern 2.3 Auto HDR bracketing - it fired 7 shots to cover the range. I did this in not so good conditions, mid day with bright sun - sns-hdr to combine the shots

QUOTED IMAGE
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com/​photos/wolf911/7702784​584/  (external link)
River (external link) by Photos by KJS (external link), on Flickr

Love it. Have you ever messed with a neutral density filter?

Facebook (external link)

fmattitude
27 posts
Joined Jul 2012

Aug 04, 2012 21:20 |  #35

kirkt wrote in post #14810783 (external link)
Also - if you end up deciding to use ML and you find it awesome and a particularly useful tool - consider donating. Likewise - if you have broken cameras that might be good test platforms, consider donating them as well.

kirk

I donated for sure. Great code that needs our support if we're going to use it

Facebook (external link)

wolfden
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,439 posts
Joined May 2008

Aug 05, 2012 02:24 |  #36

fmattitude wrote in post #14815212 (external link)
Love it. Have you ever messed with a neutral density filter?

I have some, but not for my tamron lens which I used here.

~KJS~
Photos by KJS (external link) | Flickr (external link) | Blog (external link) | 500px (external link) | Google+ (external link)
Canon 60D Shooter

Fireman77
Hatchling
2 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Aug 07, 2012 02:49 |  #37

wolfden wrote in post #14783691 (external link)
Well, Magic Lantern 2.3 is out and I heard good things about the improved HDR bracketing so I couldn't wait and donated to the project to opt in for immediate download. Money goes to a good cause. I set up the HDR bracketing to automatic and +1 and let the camera go. It took 6 photos for each shot. I did 2 shots for 12 pics to make the pic below. I used SNS-HDR to combined the images and photoshop to combine the panoramic. I'm very pleased with Magic Lantern and encourage others to check it out. http://www.magiclanter​n.fm/ (external link) it will be free to the masses on Aug 13th I believe. I'm using the canon 60D btw.

QUOTED IMAGE
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com/​photos/wolf911/7665880​176/  (external link)
Sunset (external link) by Photos by KJS (external link), on Flickr

Hi wolfden, could you please share with me and help me with your canon eos ML 2.3 HDR photos full workflow? i really like your hdr result, i cant get the same hdr photo =(

wolfden
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,439 posts
Joined May 2008

Aug 07, 2012 21:50 |  #38

Fireman77 wrote in post #14824646 (external link)
Hi wolfden, could you please share with me and help me with your canon eos ML 2.3 HDR photos full workflow? i really like your hdr result, i cant get the same hdr photo =(

I didn't do much with this photo.

I used sns-hdr to combine the pictures than imported to Lightroom where I adjust clarity, vibrance, saturation, color correction and sharpening. I exported it to photoshop to do straightening, cropping. I believe I used Nik color efex 3.0 for some Graduated Neutral Density Filter and that was about it.

Generally my workflow is import with LR, adjust with LR, export to photoshop for final tweaks. Some nice software to compliment photoshop are Nik Software and Topaz Adjust.

~KJS~
Canon 60D Shooter

lensfreak
484 posts
Joined May 2012

Aug 08, 2012 10:46 |  #39

Well done, hanging out for the update to my 60D and most of all I really want ML for the 5DMK2

texshooter
646 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Aug 10, 2012 10:49 as a reply to  @ lensfreak's post |  #40

Can Magic Lantern do focus stacking and exposure bracketing simultaneously like the Promote Control can?

JVthePT
Goldmember
1,469 posts
Gallery: 130 photos
Joined May 2012

Aug 10, 2012 18:05 |  #41

OK, I'm a moron.............
I have donated, downloaded and can't get it to install on my card. Can anyone give me the remedial, idiot-proof steps for doing so? I have read the install guide and still no success.
Help me please!!!! I don't want to have to resort to asking my teenage son to do it for me!

6D & 7D mark II - Canon 16-35 f/4 IS L, Canon 24-70 f/2.8 L, Canon 24-105 f/4 L IS, Canon 70-200 f/2.8 IS II L, Canon 100-400 f/4.5-5.6 L IS II, Canon 50mm f/1.8 STM, Canon 85 f/1.8, Canon 100 f/2.8 USM macro, Canon EF 1.4x III
flickr (external link)

boerewors
Goldmember
1,948 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Aug 10, 2012 18:55 |  #42

JVthePT wrote in post #14841777 (external link)
OK, I'm a moron.............
I have donated, downloaded and can't get it to install on my card. Can anyone give me the remedial, idiot-proof steps for doing so? I have read the install guide and still no success.
Help me please!!!! I don't want to have to resort to asking my teenage son to do it for me!

Do you have the latest firmware installed?

The most important piece of gear you own, resides in your head and its called your brain.

wolfden
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,439 posts
Joined May 2008

Aug 10, 2012 19:28 |  #43

For Canon 60D, should be firmware 1.1.1 which can be downloaded from:

http://www.usa.canon.c​om …edName=DriversA​ndSoftware (external link)

~KJS~
Canon 60D Shooter

JVthePT
Goldmember
1,469 posts
Gallery: 130 photos
Joined May 2012

Aug 10, 2012 21:58 |  #44

yep, got that. I can't unzip the ML files.

6D & 7D mark II - Canon 16-35 f/4 IS L, Canon 24-70 f/2.8 L, Canon 24-105 f/4 L IS, Canon 70-200 f/2.8 IS II L, Canon 100-400 f/4.5-5.6 L IS II, Canon 50mm f/1.8 STM, Canon 85 f/1.8, Canon 100 f/2.8 USM macro, Canon EF 1.4x III
flickr (external link)

wolfden
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,439 posts
Joined May 2008

Aug 10, 2012 22:05 |  #45

JVthePT wrote in post #14842559 (external link)
yep, got that. I can't unzip the ML files.

odd, maybe it is corrupt download, try redownloading it?

~KJS~
Canon 60D Shooter

sponsored links

22,100 views & 0 likes for this thread
Trying out Magic Lantern 2.3
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos HDR Creation 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.