Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
Thread started 04 Aug 2012 (Saturday) 10:34
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

First time C&C

Fabb
49 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Aug 04, 2012 10:34 |  #1

Please go easy on me, I've had the camera 2 weeks and LR4 for less than 24 hours. It is SOOC as I know absolutely nothing about PP yet.

I really like this pic but how could I have improved upon it?

IMAGE: http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7123/7710787860_5dd7e8fe6f_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com …/48234254@N05/7​710787860/  (external link)
IMG_7726 (external link) by anamal2010 (external link), on Flickr

Thanks!

My Stuff

sponsored links
Flo
Gimmie Some Lovin
44,987 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Aug 04, 2012 10:38 |  #2

Welcome! Get your flack jacket on!;)

Fill flash would have evened the light on his face, also getting him away from the colored object( at a park?) will lessen the tint on his face.
The crop I don't like, not the head, but the chin being cropped off in frame.You will want to be careful for cropping bits off bodies etc. Have fun learning your camera and all its bells and whistles!

Also, do not concentrate on processing with presets etc right now.get your photos as you see them in camera if you can. All the fancy editing rarely fixes a bad photo :)

you're a great friend, but if Zombies chase us, I am tripping you.

Fabb
THREAD ­ STARTER
49 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Aug 04, 2012 10:46 as a reply to  @ Flo's post |  #3

Thanks for the advice.

There is so much to think of when snapping away. I didn't even notice I cut off his chin, bah! He's on a chaise so that's what the red reflection is. I will use fill flash, it just seems so unnatural to use it in broad daylight but I'll get over that.

My Stuff

Flo
Gimmie Some Lovin
44,987 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Aug 04, 2012 11:39 |  #4

Fabb wrote in post #14813314 (external link)
Thanks for the advice.

There is so much to think of when snapping away. I didn't even notice I cut off his chin, bah! He's on a chaise so that's what the red reflection is. I will use fill flash, it just seems so unnatural to use it in broad daylight but I'll get over that.

I know what you mean about flash and daylight, but getting that light on the face when they are not facing towards the sun will help to avoid shadows. It's all about learning what appeals to you.

you're a great friend, but if Zombies chase us, I am tripping you.

stanclark
Goldmember
1,143 posts
Joined Jan 2012

Aug 06, 2012 15:05 |  #5

leave space around your subject you can crop later in post production...if your really good you even slice body parts back into your pictures.....but for newbies not recommended....also lots of free info here on this forum as well as adorama tv, youtube, digital photography school ect...start doing your home work and don't hesitate too ask questions

So if God made Man & Woman....whats his excuse for Nikon...

gibbit1
Goldmember
1,658 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Aug 07, 2012 16:49 |  #6

First of all, excellent job on the focus, and setting the aperture so that you got nice bokeh. You shot him in direct sunlight, so you have a burned-out spot on his cheek camera left, and you already know about the tint on his cheek camera right. Getting him into the shade will take care of one problem, and a piece of white foam-core board squeezed between his cheek and the wall will take care of the other.

I agree with Flo and Fabb, too. Concentrate on getting it right in camera.

"Everything will be alright. I'm from the government and I'm here to help."
Gear: EOS 5DMKII; EOS 400D (infrared converted); Canon 24-105mm f/4 L; Sigma 17-35mm f/2.8-4 EX; Canon 70-200mm f/4 L; Canon 135mm f/2.0 L; Pentax SMC Takumar 50mm f/1.4 with EOS adaptor, Rokinon 14mm f/2.8; only enough knowledge to be a clear and present danger to society.
flickr (external link)

andrewsk
Mostly Lurking
10 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Aug 08, 2012 15:28 |  #7

Hmmm, this is hard.

My complaint would be that the left side of his face is blown out in a bunch of places.

However the right side of his face is beautifully lit by whatever he is leaning against creating kind of a color glow.

I would have been more inclined to have someone block the direct sunlight hitting him on the left and shoot as is.

And the chin. The top of the head is fine. :)

Keith

Nukehed
550 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined Jul 2010

Aug 08, 2012 15:45 |  #8

The cropping is much too tight. I would crop farther out (if possible) and show a little more of the object causing the tint on the left side of his face.

The blow-out on his right side is distracting.

Experiment and take the pictures YOU like. Also remember that just because you get some information here as feedback doesn't mean you have to do it. Some of the feedback is very appropriate technical feedback and some of it is peoples opinions on what they like.

TAKE MORE PICTURES!

"There are four boxes to use in the defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, ammo. Use in that order."- Ed Howdershelt
GEAR LIST
My website (external link)

andrewsk
Mostly Lurking
10 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Aug 08, 2012 16:14 |  #9

I like what nukehead said here about showing a small bit of the object causing the tint. It would make more sense to see just a bit of it to explain the glow...

Fabb
THREAD ­ STARTER
49 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Aug 08, 2012 18:48 as a reply to  @ andrewsk's post |  #10

Thanks for the advice everyone. I have been taking lots of pictures since but I've been focusing on composition more than anything else. I'm shooting everything in manual as well so like I said, lots to concentrate on.

I'm shooting RAW so can I not fix the blown out parts in PP?

My Stuff

sponsored links

1,441 views & 0 likes for this thread
First time C&C
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.