Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 04 Aug 2012 (Saturday) 11:42
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Bad Facebook Pages...

CameraMan
Cream of the Crop
13,322 posts
Gallery: 26 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Aug 04, 2012 11:42 |  #1

Boy, I don't even know where to start with this one...

I just came across the most terrible Facebook business page ever and it's in my area.

The photographer displays really terrible processed photos (HEAVY vignetting, over saturated, etc...) and on top of all that their About page is completely riddled with terrible grammar and spelling.

I feel like I should help them out and give them a few pointers but another part of me says screw it. They're my competition. Why would I help them?

It's sort of like seeing a stray puppy on the side of the road. Knowing you already have 2 well trained dogs at home... what do you do? Pick it up and help it and risk getting your own dogs sick or do you leave it die on the side of the road?

They are undercutting local photographers by several hundred dollars. They only charge $50 to shoot a wedding... FIFTY DOLLARS!!!!! WTH!!!

Photographer (external link) | The Toys! | Facebook (external link) | Video (external link) | Flickr (external link)
Shampoo sounds like an unfortunate name for a hair product.
You're a ghost driving a meat-coated skeleton made from stardust, riding a rock, hurtling through space. Fear Nothing!

sponsored links
RTPVid
Goldmember
3,365 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Aug 04, 2012 11:49 |  #2

If he's only charging $50 for a wedding, the facebook page with poor photographs and grammar/spelling errors sounds like it might be truth in advertizing to me.

Tom

lifeinpixels
88 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Aug 04, 2012 12:13 as a reply to  @ RTPVid's post |  #3

https://www.facebook.c​om/UncleBobPhotography (external link)

This guy pokes fun at people like the one the OP described :D

"They say a picture is worth a thousand words. Mine are only worth one."
Canon 1Ds [mk1] - EF 35mm ƒ2 - EF 50mm ƒ1.4 USM
Flickr (external link) | 500px (external link) | Feedback

Tony_Stark
Shellhead
4,287 posts
Joined May 2010

Aug 04, 2012 12:44 |  #4

I can easily post the worst page here I found yesterday, base wedding fee was $150 and doesnt offer full day coverage. He does everything from weddings to events to lifestyle to automotive. Regardless, its probably the worst crap I have ever seen. I will not post it however. Me and a buddy did have a laugh over it.

Nikon D810 | 24-70/2.8G | 58/1.4G
EOS M | 22 f/2 STM

Website (external link) | flickr (external link)

rick_reno
Cream of the Crop
44,642 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Aug 04, 2012 12:49 |  #5

i never see these things on Facebook, how do you find them?

Bosscat
Goldmember
1,892 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Aug 04, 2012 13:02 |  #6

There are a couple of guys around here that sell at low prices, and its crap too, but I just let folks suffer that crap if they are dumb enough to shop on price.

Your camera is alot smarter than the "M" Zealots would have you believe

Paolo.Leviste
934 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Aug 04, 2012 15:52 |  #7

I try hard on those photos guys. :(

[Canon 5DII/30D | 24-70 f2.8L | Σ 30 f1.4 | Σ 50 f1.4 | 70-200 f4L | 580EX II ]
3.Hundred.6.SIX (external link)
SmugMug (external link)

CameraMan
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
13,322 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Aug 04, 2012 20:14 |  #8

rick_reno wrote in post #14813728 (external link)
i never see these things on Facebook, how do you find them?

They liked my Facebook page... You might be able to find the page I mentioned now that I've let the cat out of the bag. :lol:

Photographer (external link) | The Toys! | Facebook (external link) | Video (external link) | Flickr (external link)
You're a ghost driving a meat-coated skeleton made from stardust, riding a rock, hurtling through space. Fear Nothing!

CameraMan
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
13,322 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Aug 04, 2012 20:15 |  #9

I know my stuff isn't great but believe me.. .There's MUCH worse stuff out there.

drmaxx
Goldmember
1,191 posts
Gallery: 35 photos
Joined Jul 2010

Aug 04, 2012 22:27 as a reply to  @ CameraMan's post |  #10

You certainly should not help them with their facebook page. It represents their abilities to present and most probably also their abilities as photographers. In this way a potential customer gets a good impression what he gets and most probably will not be disappointed. That's a good thing.

Just imagine, if you help them to get a highly polished and professional business appearance they still under-perform and disappoint many many customers. That's a bad thing.

Donate if you love POTN

MINIBondGirl
29 posts
Joined Jul 2012

Aug 05, 2012 05:22 as a reply to  @ drmaxx's post |  #11

Oh come on name and shame....:p

Susan, very much a beginner but lovin it nonetheless....
Nikon D40 / iphone

watt100
Cream of the Crop
14,021 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Aug 05, 2012 09:23 |  #12

CameraMan wrote in post #14813517 (external link)
Boy, I don't even know where to start with this one...

I just came across the most terrible Facebook business page ever and it's in my area.

The photographer displays really terrible processed photos (HEAVY vignetting, over saturated, etc...) and on top of all that their About page is completely riddled with terrible grammar and spelling.

I feel like I should help them out and give them a few pointers but another part of me says screw it. They're my competition. Why would I help them?

It's sort of like seeing a stray puppy on the side of the road. Knowing you already have 2 well trained dogs at home... what do you do? Pick it up and help it and risk getting your own dogs sick or do you leave it die on the side of the road?

They are undercutting local photographers by several hundred dollars. They only charge $50 to shoot a wedding... FIFTY DOLLARS!!!!! WTH!!!

$50 for a wedding?
they are undercutting Craigslist wedding photographers

CameraMan
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
13,322 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Aug 05, 2012 11:15 |  #13

drmaxx wrote in post #14815503 (external link)
Just imagine, if you help them to get a highly polished and professional business appearance they still under-perform and disappoint many many customers. That's a bad thing.

Bad for them, bad for their clients, but good for others with better technique both behind the camera and behind the keyboard. Because their clients won't think twice before asking them to do their photos ever again.

This brings up an interesting observation...

A friend of my niece recently got married and she had a friend of hers shoot her wedding for free. Needless to say her photos looked horrible and she regrets not having someone there who knew what the heck they were doing. I felt so bad for her.

stsva
Cream of the Crop
6,360 posts
Gallery: 45 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Aug 06, 2012 12:49 |  #14

CameraMan wrote in post #14815021 (external link)
I know my stuff isn't great but believe me.. .There's MUCH worse stuff out there.

That sounds like a great sales line! ;)

Some Canon stuff and a little bit of Yongnuo.
http://www.pbase.com/s​tsva/profile (external link)
Member of the GIYF
Club and
HAMSTTR
٩ Breeders Club https://photography-on-the.net …=744235&highlig​ht=hamsttr Join today!
Image Editing OK

Imaginary ­ Enemy
219 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Dec 2009

Aug 06, 2012 13:06 |  #15

CameraMan wrote in post #14817022 (external link)
Bad for them, bad for their clients, but good for others with better technique both behind the camera and behind the keyboard. Because their clients won't think twice before asking them to do their photos ever again.

This brings up an interesting observation...

A friend of my niece recently got married and she had a friend of hers shoot her wedding for free. Needless to say her photos looked horrible and she regrets not having someone there who knew what the heck they were doing. I felt so bad for her.

I became friends with a couple shortly before they got married and they already had a photographer so I went to their wedding and shot for fun. Their hired photographer was using her pop-up flash and shooting in auto. I had the unfortunate displeasure of seeing her work and it was awful. None of her photos were composed well at all and most were out of focus. She gave them cds with every single picture she took and over processing most of them. She didn't even delete the unedited files. I gave them 29 shots, nothing spectacular, and they loved them.

Feedback
Instagram (external link)
5D3 | Σ 50mm f1.4 | 100mm f2.8

sponsored links

2,480 views & 0 likes for this thread
Bad Facebook Pages...
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.