Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Sports 
Thread started 04 Aug 2012 (Saturday) 15:44
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Washington Nationals game

Jensgt
907 posts
Gallery: 46 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Mar 2010

Aug 04, 2012 15:44 |  #1

Rented a Canon 100-400mm for this game. Enjoyed using it. Had front row aisle seats in the center/right outfield. I'd love to go back sometime and sit along the first base line with this lens.

IMAGE: http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8281/7708352188_87fb4bf858_c.jpg

IMAGE: http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8151/7708387046_58454068a1_c.jpg

IMAGE: http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7120/7708414468_dd069c0800_z.jpg

IMAGE: http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8289/7708429260_e4627e3d2a_c.jpg

IMAGE: http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7123/7708482016_113a597cfd_c.jpg

IMAGE: http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8424/7708535216_3ac32cec8f_z.jpg

1Dx 7D 500 f4L 70-200 f2.8L II 24-70 f2.8L II 100 f2.8L IS Macro 85 1.2L II
https://www.flickr.com​/photos/jenniferallwin​e/ (external link)

sponsored links
rick_reno
Cream of the Crop
44,642 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Aug 04, 2012 16:10 |  #2

really like 3,4 and 6

ajaffe
788 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Aug 04, 2012 18:55 |  #3

Ehh

www.aaronsjaffe.com (external link)

Jensgt
THREAD ­ STARTER
907 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Aug 04, 2012 23:30 |  #4

First time ever using the lens...and some of these were at night so I think I did ok. Always happy to receive constructive criticism...

But....

"Ehh"?

You can keep that to yourself.

Jensgt
THREAD ­ STARTER
907 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Aug 04, 2012 23:34 |  #5

rick_reno wrote in post #14814323 (external link)
really like 3,4 and 6

Thanks!!

cstewart
Goldmember
1,866 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jan 2008

Aug 05, 2012 01:16 |  #6

Surprised you got in as some stadiums won't allow big lenses

Photo 1. delete. no face no action....ehh :) I know you are limited by position but don't shoot backs of players
2. Better but crop tighter on batter,catcher,ump
3. Same as above but don't bother shooting vertical from that position..not needed
4. Bunch of guys taliking and you cant really see faxes of any of them...plus looks a bit out of focus...
5. Ok sportrait but a bit soft.
6. Same as above but try to get full body shot here and not crop off leg.

With your position you are pretty limited about what you can shoot and you need to make sure your focus is perfect as you will be cropping big time on anything you shoot. Try from here next time to get outfielders making a play or plays at 2B...ie closer action.

Personally Id prefer sitting behind 3b with that lens as most batters, even lefties, will generally turn and look generally that way when they follow ball that is hit. Also that side if a RH is throwing.

Please Check Out My Work at:
Independent Sports News (external link) -- Sports Shooter (external link) --Web Site (external link) -- Facebook (external link) -- iStockphoto.com (external link)--Twitter (external link)
Gear: 1DX; 1D4; 70D gripped; 40D gripped; ; EFS10-22; EFS 17-55; EF 16-35; EF 135; EF 70-200 II; EF 300; EF 1.4X II Extender, 580 EX II Flash

ajaffe
788 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Aug 05, 2012 02:50 |  #7

Jensgt wrote in post #14815678 (external link)
First time ever using the lens...and some of these were at night so I think I did ok. Always happy to receive constructive criticism...

But....

"Ehh"?

You can keep that to yourself.

I was replying to rick reno.

If you want CC from me I will happily give it though.

Jensgt
THREAD ­ STARTER
907 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Aug 05, 2012 07:33 |  #8

cstewart wrote in post #14815911 (external link)
Surprised you got in as some stadiums won't allow big lenses

Photo 1. delete. no face no action....ehh :) I know you are limited by position but don't shoot backs of players
2. Better but crop tighter on batter,catcher,ump
3. Same as above but don't bother shooting vertical from that position..not needed
4. Bunch of guys taliking and you cant really see faxes of any of them...plus looks a bit out of focus...
5. Ok sportrait but a bit soft.
6. Same as above but try to get full body shot here and not crop off leg.

With your position you are pretty limited about what you can shoot and you need to make sure your focus is perfect as you will be cropping big time on anything you shoot. Try from here next time to get outfielders making a play or plays at 2B...ie closer action.

Personally Id prefer sitting behind 3b with that lens as most batters, even lefties, will generally turn and look generally that way when they follow ball that is hit. Also that side if a RH is throwing.

Yeah I agree with all that, and I am going to give it a second go with a better viewpoint sometime when I am on my own. I was with my husband this time around it made it hard to put as much concentration into it. Also since i was on the aisle I had that terrible glass wall thing up, which got in my way. Seats were not as awesome as I thought they would be for shooting.

As for the lens, Nats park has an 8 inch rule...and this one is 7.4" fully retracted. They did not even look at it though...they just glance in the bag and let me go...so all they saw was the t shirt I had in there.

Jensgt
THREAD ­ STARTER
907 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Aug 05, 2012 07:39 |  #9

ajaffe wrote in post #14816038 (external link)
I was replying to rick reno.

If you want CC from me I will happily give it though.

Well..yeah. Maybe 3rd time will be a charm since you already have 2 useless posts here. :lol:

ajaffe
788 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Aug 05, 2012 20:18 |  #10

Jensgt wrote in post #14816462 (external link)
Well..yeah. Maybe 3rd time will be a charm since you already have 2 useless posts here. :lol:

Oh your attitude is fantastic! My apologies for not pulling a reno and blindly showering you with praise instead of helping you improve.

Many of these issues are not new lens related.

1. Delete. Underexposed. Horizons. Out of Focus. No faces. Background distracting. Composition is off. Timing is off, are you trying to capture the release or the follow through?
2. Delete. Underexposed. Horizons. Out of Focus. Background distracting. Composition is off. Cropped too loosely, but you will experience even more sharpness issues from cropping. Timing is off, this could be anything since the image is not telling the story.
3. Delete. Underexposed. Horizons. Out of Focus. Background distracting. Composition is off. Cropped too loosely. Timing is off, one frame later where he is full follow through or coming out of the box would do much more for the viewer.
4. Delete. Underexposed. Horizons. White balance is off. Only one face. Out of focus for the group. And what story is this image telling?
5. Delete. White Balance. Composition is off. White balance is off. You cut his glove off. Yay Harper walking slowly and I have a photo! What is the story? Where is the emotion?
6. Delete. White Balance. Composition is off. Timing is off, you caught him in between strides which makes him look awkward and like an amputee. And again, what is the story?

Edit* Also I have seen your website, you are much more capable than these 6 images.

Jensgt
THREAD ­ STARTER
907 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Aug 05, 2012 22:30 |  #11

ajaffe wrote in post #14818864 (external link)
Oh your attitude is fantastic! My apologies for not pulling a reno and blindly showering you with praise instead of helping you improve.

Many of these issues are not new lens related.

1. Delete. Underexposed. Horizons. Out of Focus. No faces. Background distracting. Composition is off. Timing is off, are you trying to capture the release or the follow through?
2. Delete. Underexposed. Horizons. Out of Focus. Background distracting. Composition is off. Cropped too loosely, but you will experience even more sharpness issues from cropping. Timing is off, this could be anything since the image is not telling the story.
3. Delete. Underexposed. Horizons. Out of Focus. Background distracting. Composition is off. Cropped too loosely. Timing is off, one frame later where he is full follow through or coming out of the box would do much more for the viewer.
4. Delete. Underexposed. Horizons. White balance is off. Only one face. Out of focus for the group. And what story is this image telling?
5. Delete. White Balance. Composition is off. White balance is off. You cut his glove off. Yay Harper walking slowly and I have a photo! What is the story? Where is the emotion?
6. Delete. White Balance. Composition is off. Timing is off, you caught him in between strides which makes him look awkward and like an amputee. And again, what is the story?

Edit* Also I have seen your website, you are much more capable than these 6 images.

The more I look at them I am not really happy about them. I am usually really picky about what I share...those baseball games just frustrate me because it takes a lot of effort and I did not pull it off. I can admit that...I never expected blind praise not sure why you think that. I just get pissed off to see.. "Ehh"...and then my attitude gets attacked? Did I miss something here? lol.

I do appreciate the comment about my flickr...thanks for that.

ajaffe
788 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Aug 06, 2012 19:59 |  #12

Again, my "ehh" comment was to Rick Reno because he runs around and say he likes ______ but never gives reasons why, which is fine, but in my opinion is bad in that it does not help give true feedback that can be grown from. Your replies seem to be based on me saying it to you, which really wasn't the case at all.

Sports are a tough thing. But like I said too, your animal stuff shows you have the know-how to compose and make a good image, so just take your own advice and be pickier and you will improve a lot faster.

Jensgt
THREAD ­ STARTER
907 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Aug 06, 2012 20:38 |  #13

I am not a mind reader, I think most people would have interpreted it the same way I did. Either way I appreciate the feedback.

The Baysox minor league stadium is 5 minutes from my house...and I think it may be better to try and get better shooting there. Shooting in a major league stadium (from the seats) just seems super tough and I am always torn whether to shoot or just enjoy the game I paid so much to attend.

I felt so bad about not getting the shots I wanted at the game, I went to the zoo yesterday morning before turning in the lens and got some shots I really liked a lot. Made me feel better. lol

ajaffe
788 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Aug 06, 2012 23:26 |  #14

To be fair in post 7 I said so, but let's move on.

You can safely shoot from behind netting if you are close enough to it and are at long enough of a focal length, so try shooting from behind home plate for a bit to change it up since you have more freedom at a Minor League venue.

sponsored links

2,597 views & 0 likes for this thread
Washington Nationals game
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Sports 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.