Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 20 Mar 2008 (Thursday) 15:14
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

STICKY: SEO - Search Engine Optimization

RangersForever
302 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Jul 28, 2012 23:06 |  #376

Hikin Mike wrote in post #14781755 (external link)
Links do help as long as it's relative. No point in getting links to an automotive site if you do weddings. I would say forums are not that important, for links. I still think content is king IMO. :D

Content, long term outlook, will always be king.

But man, links are the bread and butter of SEO these days and it's frustrating as hell. I've seen sites with literally no content bounce to the top of big G and when I check their links it's all just SPAM - gotten by using SPAM software. Horrible.

Scotland Wedding Photographer (external link)

sponsored links
Christopher ­ Steven ­ b
Goldmember
3,547 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Jul 28, 2012 23:15 |  #377

Consider the following. My main website has almost nil content (text) on it. My blog has loads of content on it. My main website ranks far higher than my blog (pages ahead actually) and it really is due mainly to the fact that the backlink profile of my main site is stronger (more links, more diversity in terms of where those links come from). Conclusion: links with appropriate anchor text are extraordinarily important.

christopher steven b. - Ottawa Wedding Photographer

www.christopherstevenb​.com (external link)| Blog (external link)

Christopher ­ Steven ­ b
Goldmember
3,547 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Jul 28, 2012 23:26 |  #378

I've seen this too. My advice: try to grab the backlinks they have that aren't spam (and that are relevant) in addition to building links using your own methods. And then watch these sites plummet as google catches on to what they are doing. It may take a few months, but google is better at referee-ing the game than most think. Whatever you do, don't adopt the style of these sites.

I have witnessed competitors who were ahead of me and who were clearly paying for backlinks get caught and get spanked by google. I'm now on page 1 and they are way way below the fold.

RangersForever wrote in post #14784066 (external link)
Content, long term outlook, will always be king.

But man, links are the bread and butter of SEO these days and it's frustrating as hell. I've seen sites with literally no content bounce to the top of big G and when I check their links it's all just SPAM - gotten by using SPAM software. Horrible.

olstudios
115 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Aug 05, 2012 12:19 |  #379

For those of you on wordpress install and use Yoast (external link) religiously. The plugin walks you through every post that you make and tells you if you need more content, or if you need to add a link or a better description on your photos. I have seen huge improvements on traffic to my site, Olstudios (external link), by using Yoast.

Equipment:
Canon 60d | Canon 17-40mm F/4L | Canon Speedlite 430exII
Website (external link) | Facebook (external link) | Flickr (external link)

andrewknowles
173 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Aug 07, 2012 20:06 |  #380

Would anyone mind taking a look at my new site?! I just finished it and started spreading the word! www.ajkimages.com (external link) :) I am open and looking forward to any positive or negative feedback!!

Andrew J Knowles
Dallas Wedding, Portrait, and Commercial Photography http://www.ajkimages.c​om (external link)
5D MK II, 135L, 35 f/2, 100mm Macro L IS,
(2) 430-EX II, (1) AB-1600s, (2) WL-1600, PocketWizards TT1, (2) TT5s, AC3, (2) AC9s, 22" Kacey Dish w/ grid, Avenger 600 stand & boom, Vagabond Mini

Christopher ­ Steven ­ b
Goldmember
3,547 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Aug 07, 2012 20:17 |  #381

I hate to be direct (actually I like it !) but it looks like you haven't read the very basics as discussed in this thread.

1. you linked to your site and didn't use anchor text. I'm not saying do it every time; but you should do it a lot of the time.
2. Title tag is incredibly spammy. Repeating phrases doesn't gain you popularity with google--you're likely to be penalized for 'over optimizing'.
3. meta keywords section filled in as it is looks pretty spammy. Google is your main organic source and google doesn't use meta keywords AT ALL in ranking.

andrewknowles wrote in post #14828104 (external link)
Would anyone mind taking a look at my new site?! I just finished it and started spreading the word! www.ajkimages.com (external link) :) I am open and looking forward to any positive or negative feedback!!

robots4joey
287 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Aug 23, 2012 16:02 |  #382

I have a few (3) questions about SEO. I've been working on it for a little while. I'm using wordpress with the 'Yoast' plugin.

I would like the 'googlers' to find me with this search:
wedding photographer Wichita KS
Does it matter to Google if I make a sentence out of it in my content? Example:
We are quality wedding photographers in Wichita KS

Will making it a: Photographer's' and adding the 'in' hurt me? I think I will sound unprofessional if I somehow put 'wedding photographer Wichita KS' somewhere on my page for people to see.

Also: Do you optimize for the word photographer or photography? what do you think is more commonly searched by brides?

Final question (for now :D )
How much should I worry about the Flesch Reading Ease test? Does Google care if it is "moderately difficult" to read?

Thanks so much for the help!!!

Website for Weddings: Wichita Wedding Photographer (external link)
Our Silly Photo Booth: Photo Booth Wichita KS (external link)
5DmkIII | 60D | 70-200mm f2.8 IS-2 | 50mm 1.4 | 85mm 1.8 | 3x-580EX | Radiopoppers | @ weddings I rent the works!

Christopher ­ Steven ­ b
Goldmember
3,547 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Aug 23, 2012 16:25 |  #383

My advice would be to use your exact keywords in the order that enjoys the most searches ('wedding photographer Wichita KS' e.g.) for your meta title tag, and in the anchor text of links you have pointing to your site (though mix this in with 'normal' looking links too). Use your content area to speak naturally to your possible clients. If you succeed at bringing folks to your website by ranking well in google, it is for nothing if your page sounds like a robot is writing it rather than a person.

So in sum: I'd write your content areas, your on-page areas, in the way that communicates best to your possible clients. Include your keywords; but don't bend over backwards.

Another tip: use google keyword tool to identify which keywords enjoy the most searches and just stick with that. Interestingly enough, I've optimized my main site for 'ottawa wedding photography' yet I rank way higher for 'ottawa wedding photographer' -- which in fact is the more searched for terms.

robots4joey wrote in post #14897864 (external link)
I have a few (3) questions about SEO. I've been working on it for a little while. I'm using wordpress with the 'Yoast' plugin.

I would like the 'googlers' to find me with this search:
wedding photographer Wichita KS
Does it matter to Google if I make a sentence out of it in my content? Example:
We are quality wedding photographers in Wichita KS

Will making it a: Photographer's' and adding the 'in' hurt me? I think I will sound unprofessional if I somehow put 'wedding photographer Wichita KS' somewhere on my page for people to see.

Also: Do you optimize for the word photographer or photography? what do you think is more commonly searched by brides?

Final question (for now :D )
How much should I worry about the Flesch Reading Ease test? Does Google care if it is "moderately difficult" to read?

Thanks so much for the help!!!

robots4joey
287 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Sep 19, 2012 16:00 |  #384

Thanks Christopher!

I have yet another question... this one is with the actual URL's
Should I use:
marshallphotographyks.​com/photo-booth
or:
marshallphotographyks.​com/photo-booth-rental-wichita

same goes for:
.../weddings or .../wedding-photographer-wichita

If it is better for SEO to have the longer ones that have a couple keywords, then would it hurt me SEO-wise to create 301 redirects from /weddings to /wedding-photographer-wichita so that I can still post links on social media that are nice and easy like: marshallphotographyks.​com/weddings even though there is no page there?

Website for Weddings: Wichita Wedding Photographer (external link)
Our Silly Photo Booth: Photo Booth Wichita KS (external link)
5DmkIII | 60D | 70-200mm f2.8 IS-2 | 50mm 1.4 | 85mm 1.8 | 3x-580EX | Radiopoppers | @ weddings I rent the works!

Christopher ­ Steven ­ b
Goldmember
3,547 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Sep 21, 2012 10:37 |  #385

I haven't checked to see how you've organized the SEO of your home page + other pages lower in the hierarchy, but in general it is good to rank more sub-pages (by this I just mean non-home pages) for different things that can possibly rank well. If you have a sub-page about photo-booth rentals, then, yes, those keywords in the friendly url will be helpful. Take care not to push it so hard that it looks odd, though.

If ' /wedding-photographer...' refers to a sub-page (ie. from a link on the home page), then I probably wouldn't bother using that friendly url. Your home page (presuming it is solely about wedding photography-and it should be) is your best place for that. Check out what I do in my galleries for a good idea of what I would recommend, and try to think why I set it up that way.

I don't think 301 directs that lead to a page are a problem at all. But I'm not sure how helpful it will be for the work required.

robots4joey wrote in post #15015454 (external link)
Thanks Christopher!

I have yet another question... this one is with the actual URL's
Should I use:
marshallphotographyks.​com/photo-booth
or:
marshallphotographyks.​com/photo-booth-rental-wichita

same goes for:
.../weddings or .../wedding-photographer-wichita

If it is better for SEO to have the longer ones that have a couple keywords, then would it hurt me SEO-wise to create 301 redirects from /weddings to /wedding-photographer-wichita so that I can still post links on social media that are nice and easy like: marshallphotographyks.​com/weddings even though there is no page there?

JAmadoPhotography
20 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Oct 08, 2012 00:09 as a reply to  @ post 5222357 |  #386

Read the Google SEO handbook. Very very helpful!!!

Jermaine Amado, Photographer/Owner
J Amado Photography: Denver Portrait (external link) & Wedding Photographer (external link)

CameraMan
Cream of the Crop
13,337 posts
Gallery: 26 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Oct 12, 2012 05:50 |  #387

A good useful tool to use to see where your page stands and what needs work...

SEO Zio for Google Chrome Users.

Photographer (external link) | The Toys! | Facebook (external link) | Video (external link) | Flickr (external link)
Shampoo sounds like an unfortunate name for a hair product.
You're a ghost driving a meat-coated skeleton made from stardust, riding a rock, hurtling through space. Fear Nothing!

ZSutton
Goldmember
1,733 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Best ofs: 1
Joined Sep 2008

Oct 17, 2012 16:44 |  #388

Anyone have some good leads on some solid backlinks for your websites SEO?
Everything else on my websitel ooks good, I just don't have many backlinks because its just my portfolio, and not alot of additional information

-Sutton
Gear List | Website (external link) | Instagram (external link)

Christopher ­ Steven ­ b
Goldmember
3,547 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Oct 17, 2012 16:54 |  #389

^ What are you trying to rank for ?

ZSutton
Goldmember
1,733 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Best ofs: 1
Joined Sep 2008

Oct 17, 2012 17:51 |  #390

Local photography for my area....for weddings, seniors photos and other portraiture.

However, good photography databases are going to provide quality backlinks from photography websites to help increase page ranks

-Sutton
Gear List | Website (external link) | Instagram (external link)

sponsored links

153,322 views & 4 likes for this thread
SEO - Search Engine Optimization
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.