Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Motorsports 
Thread started 03 Aug 2012 (Friday) 14:42
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Grand-Am Rolex Series | Indianapolis

BAD ­ SS
149 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Aug 03, 2012 14:42 |  #1

Harsh C&C appreciated.

-one-

IMAGE: http://racemsm.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/Indy1.jpg

-two-
IMAGE: http://racemsm.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/Indy2.jpg

-three-
IMAGE: http://racemsm.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/Indy3.jpg

-four-
IMAGE: http://racemsm.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/Indy4.jpg

-five-
IMAGE: http://racemsm.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/Indy5.jpg

-six-
IMAGE: http://racemsm.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/Indy6.jpg

-seven-
IMAGE: http://racemsm.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/Indy7.jpg

-eight-
IMAGE: http://racemsm.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/Indy8.jpg

-Trevor-
Track9 (external link) | TrackNineMedia.com (external link)
7D | 50D | XT | 10-20 | 35 | 50 | 70-200L | EF 2x III | AB B800s | 430EX II

sponsored links
rick_reno
Cream of the Crop
44,642 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Aug 04, 2012 10:15 |  #2

wow, stunnning! love 2,4,5 and 7. that light in 2 is awesome

GAZA62
Goldmember
1,378 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Aug 04, 2012 14:58 |  #3

Stunning work 2,4,5+7 superb

CANON 450D/CANON 7D
CANON 55-250IS 70-200F4L IS CANON 300mm F4L IS
SIGMA 120-400 OS
My Flikr http://www.flickr.com/​photos/gaza62/ (external link)

rudder34
77 posts
Joined Jul 2004

Aug 05, 2012 12:42 as a reply to  @ GAZA62's post |  #4

I agree. 2,4,7 are wonderful. The light after a quick storm cannot be described or easily duplicated in any way. Great captures.

chopperdave
Goldmember
1,196 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Aug 05, 2012 16:23 |  #5

wonderful stuff

David
davidmoorephoto.com (external link)
More Than Pnup (external link)
I feel like I've gone back in time.

Bosscat
Goldmember
1,892 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Aug 05, 2012 17:15 |  #6

The white blob on the right in the first one is distracting to me.

Your camera is alot smarter than the "M" Zealots would have you believe

BAD ­ SS
THREAD ­ STARTER
149 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Aug 06, 2012 14:21 |  #7

Thanks for the feedback!

rudder34 wrote in post #14817306 (external link)
The light after a quick storm cannot be described or easily duplicated in any way.

Agreed. The weather during this race were probably my favorite conditions I have ever shot in.

-Trevor-
Track9 (external link) | TrackNineMedia.com (external link)
7D | 50D | XT | 10-20 | 35 | 50 | 70-200L | EF 2x III | AB B800s | 430EX II

bfox
96 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Aug 06, 2012 15:26 |  #8

[QUOTE=BAD SS;14810270][CENTER]Ha​rsh C&C appreciated.

Hey Trevor,
I'll weigh in with my thoughts.
I see you already defended your color/contrast processing, therefore I'll focus on composition.

one:
The K-Wall on screen right is bit distracting, know what you are trying to do there, maybe crop in tighter to loose more of the wall.

two:
Could be my monitor, but would be nice to lift the darks a bit to bring out some detail in the front of the car. Otherwise a fantastic shot.

three:
Fantastic. The symmetry really works nicely.

four:
An ok shot. Doesn't do a lot for me. I find these rear shots to always be challenging. I feel the visual balance is thrown a off by the white awning in the BG. It competes a lot with the white car.

five:
Perfect. Wouldn't change a thing. I live to get a shot like that. Maybe crop in a bit more to loose that car on screen right? Shot already has a nice 'claustrophobic' feel to it (which I personally like 'cause I feel it engages the viewer).

six:
I feel like it's too cramped up at the top and there's a bit too much room behind the car. The shot lacks the nice visual flow of the others.

seven:
Wow. Really beautiful. This is why we shoot this sport. To get photographs like this.

eight:
Huh? This is very out if place. Not sharp, no real visual focus, the spectators are all looking to the left....at what? The car is small and obscured, and it's not a wide enough lens to capture the vista of the venue. Sorry, this one has no place amongst the others of such high quality.

-Brad
www.bradfoxphoto.com (external link)
facebook.com/BradFoxPh​oto

Like me on Facebook!

dinanm3atl
Goldmember
3,120 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Aug 06, 2012 21:50 |  #9

Brad - Seen your photos before and had not connected to the person on the forums. Some spectacular work in there! Really nice stuff. Will you be going out for Grand-Am at Laguna this year in a few weeks?

Wanted to jump in here for some peer to peer C&C since a thread with actual discussion rarely happens in this section. Would like to see it keep rolling so I'll toss the old opinion into the ring.

one:
Same comment as the others. Needs a tighter crop as the wall is dominating the photo.

two:
This photo seems to be popular but outside of showing sunshine after a rain it does little for me. The vehicle appears to have no bumper because of the lighting. I would agree with Brad the photo could be far improved if the shadows were bumped to get some detail.

three:
Highlight of the set for me. The desaturated colors and contrast are not for me but in this photo it doesn't bother me. The symmetry really helps keep the epic level of the photo in tact regardless of editing style.

four:
I disagree with Brad on the white awning. The car pops out of the frame with the muted background colors since it is white(the car). My eyes do not make their way over to the white tire covers. This corner was a tough spot as the cars were loading up suspension and many were sliding... and the background was terrible from the rear. It was tire walls with white covers and then the Speed DJ/Club/whatever. The colors and contrast again though don't work for me. The stripes have become blue and a very dark burgundy.

five:
Agree. Great capture. Always nice to be there when someone goes off and you are able to capture it. The shutter speed works perfectly as you still get the sense of speed but it freezes the gravel flying everywhere. The crop recommendation I don't know. If you cut off the end of the next DP you lose some of the gravel that is being tossed the farthest. Don't know how that would effect the photo overall.

six:
Damaged cars late in the race always tell the viewer "Endurance Race". This photo fits that. I don't think it is too cramped with the track in the lower part of the photo. If it was cropped out of the bottom and the track was there I would have kept that. Helps show where the car is going to end up. My only real complaint is the colors/contrast. A lot of contrast and muted/desaturated colors. The car doesn't pop out of the frame and melds into the background because of this.

seven:
Outside of the contrast/desat this is how shot two should look IMO. The faster shutter speed freezing the spray really highlights the photo. It also allowed a nice shallow depth of field which gives you a sharp DP to look at with spray frozen. The spray, shallow depth of field and harsh light immediately come together to say it just poured and now it is sunny. That special time that drivers are trying to figure out where they can safely drive around the track.

eight:
Looks more like a snapshot as Brad said. Does not fit the rest of the series.

Halston - MotorSports Photographer
1Dx - 1Dx - A7r - 400L f/2.8 - 70-200L f/2.8 - 24-105L f/4 - 17-40L f/4 - 50 f/1.4 - 8mm f/3.5 Fisheye - 1.4x TC - 2x TC
Photography Site (external link)

bfox
96 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Aug 06, 2012 23:27 |  #10

Thanks.
No, I was not planning on hitting the Grand-Am event at Laguna Seca. I'm being selective about my events this year. Thanks for the compliment though. I've chatted with Trevor, and have been following the work you guys have been putting out both here and on Jalopnik (where I also submit my work).
I agree that this forum has turned into a place to post shots, but there is often minimal real useful critique. Saying "great shots" to shots that clearly aren't doesn't help anyone(there's one individual on this forum with almost 30,000 posts, whose average post is "great shots, really like 1 & 3" regardless of the quality of the image.
I think your thread for critiquing shots is a great idea. I plan on submitting my own shots too. I think there are some really talented people posting on this forum, and when someone with a good eye and talent gives their opinion, that's when the learning really starts.
-Brad

dinanm3atl wrote in post #14823778 (external link)
Brad - Seen your photos before and had not connected to the person on the forums. Some spectacular work in there! Really nice stuff. Will you be going out for Grand-Am at Laguna this year in a few weeks?

Wanted to jump in here for some peer to peer C&C since a thread with actual discussion rarely happens in this section. Would like to see it keep rolling so I'll toss the old opinion into the ring.

one:
Same comment as the others. Needs a tighter crop as the wall is dominating the photo.

two:
This photo seems to be popular but outside of showing sunshine after a rain it does little for me. The vehicle appears to have no bumper because of the lighting. I would agree with Brad the photo could be far improved if the shadows were bumped to get some detail.

three:
Highlight of the set for me. The desaturated colors and contrast are not for me but in this photo it doesn't bother me. The symmetry really helps keep the epic level of the photo in tact regardless of editing style.

four:
I disagree with Brad on the white awning. The car pops out of the frame with the muted background colors since it is white(the car). My eyes do not make their way over to the white tire covers. This corner was a tough spot as the cars were loading up suspension and many were sliding... and the background was terrible from the rear. It was tire walls with white covers and then the Speed DJ/Club/whatever. The colors and contrast again though don't work for me. The stripes have become blue and a very dark burgundy.

five:
Agree. Great capture. Always nice to be there when someone goes off and you are able to capture it. The shutter speed works perfectly as you still get the sense of speed but it freezes the gravel flying everywhere. The crop recommendation I don't know. If you cut off the end of the next DP you lose some of the gravel that is being tossed the farthest. Don't know how that would effect the photo overall.

six:
Damaged cars late in the race always tell the viewer "Endurance Race". This photo fits that. I don't think it is too cramped with the track in the lower part of the photo. If it was cropped out of the bottom and the track was there I would have kept that. Helps show where the car is going to end up. My only real complaint is the colors/contrast. A lot of contrast and muted/desaturated colors. The car doesn't pop out of the frame and melds into the background because of this.

seven:
Outside of the contrast/desat this is how shot two should look IMO. The faster shutter speed freezing the spray really highlights the photo. It also allowed a nice shallow depth of field which gives you a sharp DP to look at with spray frozen. The spray, shallow depth of field and harsh light immediately come together to say it just poured and now it is sunny. That special time that drivers are trying to figure out where they can safely drive around the track.

eight:
Looks more like a snapshot as Brad said. Does not fit the rest of the series.

Like me on Facebook!

dinanm3atl
Goldmember
3,120 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Aug 06, 2012 23:33 |  #11

Yup. After this thread I decided we should have a place specifically for critiquing. Good or bad.

Understand. Sure we will cross paths at some point.

Halston - MotorSports Photographer
1Dx - 1Dx - A7r - 400L f/2.8 - 70-200L f/2.8 - 24-105L f/4 - 17-40L f/4 - 50 f/1.4 - 8mm f/3.5 Fisheye - 1.4x TC - 2x TC
Photography Site (external link)

kit ­ lens
Goldmember
1,150 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Aug 07, 2012 00:06 |  #12

Four is outstanding, I also dig 5 and 7 a lot too. Nice work, thanks for sharing!

My flickr (external link)
rick_reno is a postwhore

EricNguyen
35 posts
Joined May 2012

Aug 07, 2012 00:22 |  #13

love color in number 4

David ­ Stallard
Goldmember
1,200 posts
Gallery: 118 photos
Joined Apr 2012

Aug 07, 2012 03:55 |  #14

2, 3, 4 and 7 for me - stunning.

As for critique - I always presumed that was what the forum was for? If you just want to share then you add that in the post. . . . . don't you?

oh and #8 is cr*p :oops:;)

.DAVID.

EOS box that goes click and some tubes with glass in them on the front.
http://www.davidstalla​rdphotography.com/ (external link)

Reno_LV
Goldmember
1,289 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Aug 07, 2012 04:43 |  #15

#4 is AWESOME!

Canon 5D mk III, Canon 7D, Canon 24-70mm L f/2.8, Canon 70-200mm L F2.8 IS mkII, Canon 135mm F2 L, Canon 300mm F2.8 IS L ,Canon 17-40 mm F4 USM L, Canon 50mm F1.2
L, Canon 85mm F1.2
http://reinisbphotogra​phy.blogspot.com/ (external link)

sponsored links

2,523 views & 0 likes for this thread
Grand-Am Rolex Series | Indianapolis
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Motorsports 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.