Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS News & Rumors Camera Rumors and Predictions 
Thread started 24 Feb 2012 (Friday) 13:35
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Canon 3D due at Photokina - 40MP studio camera?

Shadowblade
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
5,806 posts
Gallery: 26 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Dec 2008

Mar 02, 2012 18:23 |  #31

woos wrote in post #14010241 (external link)
Problem is it'll probably be extremely expensive :\

And completely useless for stills.

Video camera = strong AA filter = soft stills.

Also, what's the point of putting a 36MP sensor into an 8MP 4k-format video camera?

sponsored links
toastyphoto
302 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Mar 02, 2012 18:48 |  #32

Shadowblade wrote in post #14010257 (external link)
And completely useless for stills.

Video camera = strong AA filter = soft stills.

Also, what's the point of putting a 36MP sensor into an 8MP 4k-format video camera?

I don't get the point of why they would make a C-series HDSLR. If you want a video camera, get a video camera. If you want a stills camera, get a stills camera. It's like taking pictures with your camcorder.

5D II | 24-70 2.8L II | 16-35 2.8L II | 70-200 2.8L IS II | 50 1.4 | 430 EX II x2 | PW ControlTL

Shadowblade
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
5,806 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Mar 02, 2012 19:30 |  #33

toastyphoto wrote in post #14010421 (external link)
I don't get the point of why they would make a C-series HDSLR. If you want a video camera, get a video camera. If you want a stills camera, get a stills camera. It's like taking pictures with your camcorder.

I can see the point in consumer-level bodies - they're all about versatility.

But, for professional-level bodies, you tend to buy them for a single purpose - either stills or video. Not many people are interested in shooting both still and video, and even fewer are good at doing both.

symbolphoto
Cream of the Crop
6,623 posts
Joined Nov 2005

Mar 03, 2012 06:48 |  #34

Shadowblade wrote in post #14010075 (external link)
Editors are wanting ever-higher resolutions.

I'd say the uninformed are wanting more megapixels.

Shadowblade
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
5,806 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Mar 03, 2012 14:00 |  #35

symbolphoto wrote in post #14013289 (external link)
I'd say the uninformed are wanting more megapixels.

They're the ones we need to sell to.

Also, if you're making huge gallery prints that will be viewed up-close, megapixels are invaluable. Clients will view them at much closer distances than normal - if they see fine detail, they're usually instantly impressed (if the overall image is good as well) but, if all they see is mush, they're not nearly as impressed. And, often, it's the difference between a sale and a 'nice photo' comment.

Personally, what I'd want in a new camera is full weather sealing (having killed off too many 5D2s, while D700s shooting next to me were just fine), greater colour depth, 16-bit output, more low-ISO options (native ISO 1, 3, 6, 12, 25, 50) and as many megapixels as I can stuff into the camera. To hell with frame rate, video and gimmicky in-camera HDR.

Mark ­ II
Goldmember
2,153 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Mar 09, 2012 23:22 |  #36

[QUOTE=Tonyz;14008456]​Friday came and passed, and we did not get the slightest hint about a high MP camera.
quote]
My bet is we'll see one after the bulk of sales are at peak with the 1DX.

1DX7D - 40D IR converted Sony RX100,
Canon 85 L II, EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II, EF 24-105L, 16-35mm f/2.8 II L, 100L & 60mm Macro , Fisheye EF 15mm f2.8, Tokina 10-17

Mark ­ II
Goldmember
2,153 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Mar 09, 2012 23:25 as a reply to  @ post 14008456 |  #37

My bet is we wont see one until the 1DX sales are at peak level.

1DX7D - 40D IR converted Sony RX100,
Canon 85 L II, EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II, EF 24-105L, 16-35mm f/2.8 II L, 100L & 60mm Macro , Fisheye EF 15mm f2.8, Tokina 10-17

Shadowblade
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
5,806 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Mar 20, 2012 04:24 |  #38

I doubt 1D action bodies really peak - more like a slow, steady trickle throughout the lifetime of the camera. After all, most action and sports shooters aren't concerned with having the latest and best IQ - not like studio and landscape photographers.

Ricku
Goldmember
1,295 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Mar 20, 2012 10:19 |  #39
bannedPermanent ban

Shadowblade wrote in post #14117990 (external link)
I doubt 1D action bodies really peak - more like a slow, steady trickle throughout the lifetime of the camera. After all, most action and sports shooters aren't concerned with having the latest and best IQ - not like studio and landscape photographers.

This is something that I've really noticed lately, especially during the whole "banding and DR debate". Some of them don't seem to understand or even care at all, and they even try to bash other shooters who do care, spewing out stupid one liners like "learn how to expose correctly".

Perhaps a confused attempt to "defend" their new favorite sports camera? Who knows..

One thing is for sure. If the 5D3 had been made with slow continuous shooting speed (let's say 3 fps), I sure wouldn't blame the sporters for being upset about it.

But then again, the 5D line was never aimed at the sports / action crowd. (until now). :confused:

5D II 35L 135L 70-200 2.8L II Flickr (external link)

whiskey
36 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Mar 28, 2012 22:17 |  #40

I want the camera you described and I want it now!!!

Shadowblade wrote in post #14015302 (external link)
They're the ones we need to sell to.

Also, if you're making huge gallery prints that will be viewed up-close, megapixels are invaluable. Clients will view them at much closer distances than normal - if they see fine detail, they're usually instantly impressed (if the overall image is good as well) but, if all they see is mush, they're not nearly as impressed. And, often, it's the difference between a sale and a 'nice photo' comment.

Personally, what I'd want in a new camera is full weather sealing (having killed off too many 5D2s, while D700s shooting next to me were just fine), greater colour depth, 16-bit output, more low-ISO options (native ISO 1, 3, 6, 12, 25, 50) and as many megapixels as I can stuff into the camera. To hell with frame rate, video and gimmicky in-camera HDR.

Osiriz
622 posts
Joined Jul 2012

Aug 05, 2012 02:57 as a reply to  @ whiskey's post |  #41

CR guy wrote an update today.

Canonrumors.com wrote:
I’ve had two separate comments in regards to Canon entering the big megapixel space. We’re talking 35+ megapixels like the Nikon D800. Both comments mention an announcement sooner than later. No word on whether we’re talking about an EOS-1 or 5D3 style body.

Lots to come in August and September!

http://www.canonrumors​.com …gapixels-coming-soon-cr1/ (external link)

I am a little bit worried that the high MP body will be a big bulky 1-series style body.

Let's hope it is smaller than the 5D3, and has over 15 stops of DR! That could be Canon's best camera ever.

Neilyb
Cream of the Crop
5,200 posts
Gallery: 23 photos
Joined Sep 2005

Aug 06, 2012 05:11 |  #42

Osiriz wrote in post #14816046 (external link)
CR guy wrote an update today.

http://www.canonrumors​.com …gapixels-coming-soon-cr1/ (external link)

I am a little bit worried that the high MP body will be a big bulky 1-series style body.

Let's hope it is smaller than the 5D3, and has over 15 stops of DR! That could be Canon's best camera ever.

That is already Nions best camera ever :rolleyes:

http://natureimmortal.​blogspot.com (external link)

http://www.natureimmor​tal.com (external link)

Osiriz
622 posts
Joined Jul 2012

Aug 06, 2012 07:35 |  #43

Neilyb wrote in post #14820198 (external link)
That is already Nions best camera ever :rolleyes:

Well no, the D800 has 14 stops.

I said 15 stops for Canons next camera, because this is the least Canon should / could (?) do, in order to "beat" the D800, and at least pretend that they are trying to keep up.

Gel
Goldmember
1,145 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Aug 06, 2012 09:17 |  #44

If they intend to keep up the sensor has to be a radical design.
I can't see it being in a 1 series body.

Chris Giles Photography

va_rider
Goldmember
2,378 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Nov 2009

Aug 06, 2012 09:24 |  #45

The links in the first post ... well... they get caught by AVG on my machine... it comes up as "Blocked a Rootkit" ... so... people might want to run a virus scan.... Just Sayin.

Canon 5dmkIII, Sigma 15mm f/2.8FE; 35mm f/1.4; Canon EF70-200 f/2.8L IS II; --- YN560 x 7
I'm not a professional photographer, and I don't want to be.
Flickr (external link)

sponsored links

19,046 views & 0 likes for this thread
Canon 3D due at Photokina - 40MP studio camera?
FORUMS News & Rumors Camera Rumors and Predictions 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.