Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 06 Aug 2012 (Monday) 07:24
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

7d <-> 5d2

frugalman
103 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Aug 06, 2012 07:24 |  #1

after reading various threads here about 7d or 5d2, i am still undecided about which to get/keep.

I have the 7d right now. But I am very tempted to exchange it for the 5d2.

I take mostly photos of my kids, and half the time we are indoors. I am concerned about not have a top flash. In fact I am sure that is a main reason I didn't get the 5d2 yet.

Also, I have a 40mm pancake lens right now. I am thinking of using this lens most of the time. I would like to get that extra wide angle on the 5d2. The 7d so far has been very good for my needs. Of course I am still wondering about the other camera with FF :)

sponsored links
frugalman
THREAD ­ STARTER
103 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Aug 06, 2012 07:30 |  #2

I am happy about the 7d focusing system and 8fps :)

stsva
Cream of the Crop
6,360 posts
Gallery: 45 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Aug 06, 2012 07:33 |  #3

If you want good indoor pictures, get an external flash unit, whether you keep the 7D or trade for the 5Dii. A flash like the 430EXII or 580EXII will allow you to bounce the flash and result in much better ability to eliminate the harsh shadows you often get with direct flash. The pop-up flash on the 7D should really just be used in emergencies when you don't have better lighting sources available. Note, however, that it is very useful as a wireless controller for separate flash units.

Some Canon stuff and a little bit of Yongnuo.
http://www.pbase.com/s​tsva/profile (external link)
Member of the GIYF
Club and
HAMSTTR
٩ Breeders Club https://photography-on-the.net …=744235&highlig​ht=hamsttr Join today!
Image Editing OK

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
37,664 posts
Gallery: 111 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002

Aug 06, 2012 07:39 |  #4

frugalman wrote in post #14820438 (external link)
after reading various threads here about 7d or 5d2, i am still undecided about which to get/keep.

I have the 7d right now. But I am very tempted to exchange it for the 5d2.

I take mostly photos of my kids, and half the time we are indoors. I am concerned about not have a top flash. In fact I am sure that is a main reason I didn't get the 5d2 yet.

Also, I have a 40mm pancake lens right now. I am thinking of using this lens most of the time. I would like to get that extra wide angle on the 5d2. The 7d so far has been very good for my needs. Of course I am still wondering about the other camera with FF :)

Perhaps get a wider lens? For what you are shooting, I am not sure a 5D2 is really warranted. I looked through my interior kids shots, and most are actually longer than 40mm, so I may not fully appreciate your situation though.

My shots are high ISO like the following:

IMAGE: http://teamspeed.smugmug.com/Church-and-Family/The-Kids/IMG9707/1014160827_gZQ5p-X2.jpg
IMAGE: http://teamspeed.smugmug.com/Church-and-Family/The-Kids/i-C6v5QBD/0/XL/IMG3039-XL.jpg
IMAGE: http://teamspeed.smugmug.com/Church-and-Family/The-Kids/IMG9373/812716853_SULVB-X2.jpg

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)
For Sale: Sigma USB Dock

bent ­ toe
Goldmember
1,951 posts
Gallery: 106 photos
Best ofs: 5
Joined Jul 2012

Aug 06, 2012 07:45 |  #5

I see no need in upgrading, you got an awesome camera with (if you ask me) better performance.
If i were you, i would spend my money on glas.

"High life on low budget"
bent photos (external link)Portfoliobox (external link)
X-Pro1 XF 35 f/1.4

ScullenCrossBones
842 posts
Joined May 2009

Aug 06, 2012 07:55 |  #6

bent toe wrote in post #14820500 (external link)
I see no need in upgrading, you got an awesome camera with (if you ask me) better performance.
If i were you, i would spend my money on glas.

+1

The 7D is a great camera. Add some great lenses and you've got a winner.

:p Gear
Mama done took my Kodachrome away...

frugalman
THREAD ­ STARTER
103 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Aug 06, 2012 08:26 |  #7

thanks for comments

This is the lens I will plan to get later on: 24-105L
I read people get better results on 7d with this lens than 5d2?

very nice photos, teamspeed

skygod44
"in stockings and suspenders"
6,441 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Nov 2008
Location: Southern Kyushu, Japan. Which means nowhere near Tokyo!

Aug 06, 2012 08:35 as a reply to  @ frugalman's post |  #8

First, stick with the 7D!!!

And, I would strongly recommend you try out a Sigma 17-50 f/2.8 OS first.

I'm a very "good" customer at my local photographers' shop, and tried out a whole flock of lenses on my 7D to fill a gap.

The Siggy was excellent at the wide end (which I wanted), and comparable to the Canon EF-S17-55 towards the longer end. Not quite as sharp at the corners, but for half the price, I could live with that....

And this is the kind of shot I'm getting with the Siggy/7D combo of my son.

Regards,

Simon :D

PS: It also works with my Kenko 1.4x TC!

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

"Whatever you do, enjoy yourself...otherwise, what's the point."
6D/7D and ALL Canon/Sigma gear SOLD!!!! Now: Olympus PEN EP-5 & OM-D EM-5 Mk2 and 8 lenses!

frugalman
THREAD ­ STARTER
103 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Aug 06, 2012 08:37 |  #9

stsva wrote in post #14820470 (external link)
If you want good indoor pictures, get an external flash unit, whether you keep the 7D or trade for the 5Dii. A flash like the 430EXII or 580EXII will allow you to bounce the flash and result in much better ability to eliminate the harsh shadows you often get with direct flash. The pop-up flash on the 7D should really just be used in emergencies when you don't have better lighting sources available. Note, however, that it is very useful as a wireless controller for separate flash units.

I know with external flash i can get great lighting like this:

IMAGE: http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8013/7641243588_f796076c64_c.jpg
from the 5d photo thread

When I got the 7d, i was impressed about how well indoor shots turned out with somewhat good natural lighting only. :)

stsva
Cream of the Crop
6,360 posts
Gallery: 45 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Aug 06, 2012 10:51 |  #10

frugalman wrote in post #14820654 (external link)
I know with external flash i can get great lighting like this:

from the 5d photo thread

When I got the 7d, i was impressed about how well indoor shots turned out with somewhat good natural lighting only. :)

I agree, it will do great with good natural lighting, but an external flash unit makes things much easier when the ambient lighting isn't good.

Some Canon stuff and a little bit of Yongnuo.
http://www.pbase.com/s​tsva/profile (external link)
Member of the GIYF
Club and
HAMSTTR
٩ Breeders Club https://photography-on-the.net …=744235&highlig​ht=hamsttr Join today!
Image Editing OK

inernets
594 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Aug 06, 2012 11:21 |  #11

If i were you i would stick to the 7D since you are used to the nice auto focus points. the 5D auto focus points are brutal, there are only 9, so it's easy to miss shots compared to the 7D's autofocus.

Plus if you traded in your 7D you would have to spend about $400-1000 to upgrade, it would be better to use the money towards glass or accessories like an external flash and maybe some flash cables or wireless flash triggers along with other stuff.

When getting a lens, make sure you consider the future and if you are going to use full frame or not. Will you eventually want to get a 5D III with the similar auto focus as the 7D or maybe 5D II, or a 1DS III used which is around the price of a used 5D III. If you think you won't, there are a lot of great crop sensor lenses, like the tokina 12-24 that i own that i love. The wider the lens, the sharper the images

1D III - 1D II - 5D II - 50D - 40D - EOS M.
16-35mm, 24-105mm, 100-400mm, 40mm 2.8, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 135mm 2.0 . 1.4x III, 2x III. 270ex, 270exII, 430ex, 600ex

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
37,664 posts
Gallery: 111 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002

Aug 06, 2012 11:56 |  #12

inernets wrote in post #14821188 (external link)
If i were you i would stick to the 7D since you are used to the nice auto focus points. the 5D auto focus points are brutal, there are only 9, so it's easy to miss shots compared to the 7D's autofocus.

Plus if you traded in your 7D you would have to spend about $400-1000 to upgrade, it would be better to use the money towards glass or accessories like an external flash and maybe some flash cables or wireless flash triggers along with other stuff.

When getting a lens, make sure you consider the future and if you are going to use full frame or not. Will you eventually want to get a 5D III with the similar auto focus as the 7D or maybe 5D II, or a 1DS III used which is around the price of a used 5D III. If you think you won't, there are a lot of great crop sensor lenses, like the tokina 12-24 that i own that i love. The wider the lens, the sharper the images

I actually believe getting the glass that is designed for the format body you buy makes more sense than to buy glass for what you might have body-wise later. Glass retains its value quite nicely, so buy lenses that are known to be great for whatever body you have or plan to buy short-term, then if you change body formats, change out glass accordingly.

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)
For Sale: Sigma USB Dock

kcbrown
Cream of the Crop
5,384 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Aug 06, 2012 14:35 |  #13

TeamSpeed wrote in post #14821325 (external link)
I actually believe getting the glass that is designed for the format body you buy makes more sense than to buy glass for what you might have body-wise later. Glass retains its value quite nicely, so buy lenses that are known to be great for whatever body you have or plan to buy short-term, then if you change body formats, change out glass accordingly.

Exactly.

Also, there's always the possibility you'll keep the crop camera to act as a backup, etc. In that event, it may make more sense to keep the lenses you got for it, even if they are crop-only.

I started off, back when I got my 30D, thinking that I would eventually go full frame, and my first lens reflects that thinking: a 24-105L. But eventually I found myself wanting an f/2.8 zoom for my camera and something that could go a little wider when the circumstances called for it. So I picked up a Sigma 18-55 f/2.8, and later a Sigma 17-50 f/2.8 OS, and that lens is now my "standard" lens. I haven't used my 24-105L for anything to speak of in at least a couple of years.

I'm keeping my 24-105L because I might still go full frame and I've already put the money into it (plus it works great on my EOS 3, though I haven't shot with film for a couple of years).

"There are some things that money can't buy, but they aren't Ls and aren't worth having" -- Shooter-boy
Canon: 2 x 7D, Sigma 17-50 f/2.8 OS, 55-250 IS, Sigma 8-16, 24-105L, Sigma 50/1.4, other assorted primes, and a 430EX.
Nikon: D750, D600, 24-85 VR, 50 f/1.8G, 85 f/1.8G, Tamron 24-70 VC, Tamron 70-300 VC.

snyder17315
346 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Aug 06, 2012 16:03 |  #14

I'll weigh in as I've owned both bodies. The 5D2 will give you better ISO performance across the board. Great looking ISO3200 images with even modest noise reduction in post are much faster/easier to achieve with the 5D2 files than the 7D. Detail and resolution are also better with the 5D2 than the 7D obviously due to the larger sensor size (which also gives you more latitude in cropping in post).

The 7D is better at tracking moving subjects and capturing bursts of action - by far. The additional focal points are great for composition compared to the 5D2, though in real-world performance I didn't find them that much more accurate...YMMV. Also, the 7D seemed much more demanding from a lens quality standpoint than my 5D2.

5D MK II
EF 50mm 1.8 | EF 85mm 1.8 | EF 24-70L | EF 70-200L 2.8 IS II
www.jrobertsnyderphoto​graphy.com (external link)

Yogi ­ Bear
Goldmember
1,492 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Aug 06, 2012 16:03 |  #15

TeamSpeed wrote in post #14821325 (external link)

Get the Canon EF-S 17-55 f/2.8 IS USM and I promise that you will not be disappointed!

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i250.photobucke​t.com …203%20Months/IM​G_0305.jpg (external link)

Canon EOS 7D | EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM | EF-S 55-250mm f/4.0-5.6 IS |
EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM | 250D | EF-S 10-22 mm f/3.5-4.5 USM | 580 EX II |

sponsored links

2,703 views & 0 likes for this thread
7d <-> 5d2
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.