Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 06 Aug 2012 (Monday) 07:24
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

7d <-> 5d2

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
37,664 posts
Gallery: 111 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002

Aug 06, 2012 16:19 |  #16

snyder17315 wrote in post #14822373 (external link)
I'll weigh in as I've owned both bodies. The 5D2 will give you better ISO performance across the board. Great looking ISO3200 images with even modest noise reduction in post are much faster/easier to achieve with the 5D2 files than the 7D. Detail and resolution are also better with the 5D2 than the 7D obviously due to the larger sensor size (which also gives you more latitude in cropping in post).

The 7D is better at tracking moving subjects and capturing bursts of action - by far. The additional focal points are great for composition compared to the 5D2, though in real-world performance I didn't find them that much more accurate...YMMV. Also, the 7D seemed much more demanding from a lens quality standpoint than my 5D2.

It really takes no more time to process an ISO 3200 shot from a 7D over a 5D2, it is just different settings or steps in the action. After you build up these actions so you can replay them on any given image based on ISO results, it takes about the same time to run Action A over Action B, with the only difference in time in waiting for Action B to run something a bit more aggressively, or with a couple more filters. Yes, you start with cleaner results on the 5D2, there is no arguing that, but you can bridge part of that gap very quickly with good corrective actions you set up and run in batch on 7D images.

This image took less than 1 sec. longer to process on the 7D than it did with the 5D2, and the end results viewed at 70-80% viewing don't vary very noticeably between the two.

The crop is taken from a 300dpi 11x14 print...

IMAGE: http://teamspeed.smugmug.com/Church-and-Family/The-Kids/IMG9739/1014161141_C8X5y-X2.jpg

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)
For Sale: Sigma USB Dock

snyder17315
346 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Aug 06, 2012 16:23 |  #17

TeamSpeed wrote in post #14822435 (external link)
It really takes no more time to process an ISO 3200 shot from a 7D over a 5D2, it is just different settings or steps in the action. After you build up these actions so you can replay them on any given image based on ISO results, it takes about the same time to run Action A over Action B, with the only difference in time in waiting for Action B to run something a bit more aggressively, or with a couple more filters. Yes, you start with cleaner results on the 5D2, there is no arguing that, but you can bridge part of that gap very quickly with good corrective actions you set up and run in batch on 7D images.

I definitely respect the results you've achieved with the 7D in regards to noise management (and I've read through your high ISO 7D thread). I would suggest the OP perhaps may not have the skill/time/software to produce those types of results with the 7D, therefore as you've said; the 5D2 would give him a "head start" on cleaner images - perhaps all the low light quality he would require with minimal post.

5D MK II
EF 50mm 1.8 | EF 85mm 1.8 | EF 24-70L | EF 70-200L 2.8 IS II
www.jrobertsnyderphoto​graphy.com (external link)

ScullenCrossBones
842 posts
Joined May 2009

Aug 06, 2012 22:58 |  #18

TeamSpeed wrote in post #14821325 (external link)
I actually believe getting the glass that is designed for the format body you buy makes more sense than to buy glass for what you might have body-wise later. Glass retains its value quite nicely, so buy lenses that are known to be great for whatever body you have or plan to buy short-term, then if you change body formats, change out glass accordingly.

I agree in principle. The problem is there are so few choices. All but 1 EF-S lenses are zooms. Where are the EF-S primes? There is only the 60mm macro.

Yes, the 17-55 and the 10-22 are good lenses. There needs to be more! If you want quality primes for a crop, you are really forced to buy L glass.

:p Gear
Mama done took my Kodachrome away...

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
37,664 posts
Gallery: 111 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002

Aug 06, 2012 23:11 |  #19

ScullenCrossBones wrote in post #14824035 (external link)
I agree in principle. The problem is there are so few choices. All but 1 EF-S lenses are zooms. Where are the EF-S primes? There is only the 60mm macro.

Yes, the 17-55 and the 10-22 are good lenses. There needs to be more! If you want quality primes for a crop, you are really forced to buy L glass.

If you like to shoot with primes, yes, you have a point. I personally need zooms for most of what I shoot.

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)
For Sale: Sigma USB Dock

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

2,702 views & 0 likes for this thread
7d <-> 5d2
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.