Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Nikon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Nikon Cameras 
Thread started 05 Feb 2010 (Friday) 20:14
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Got a Nikon? Share your thoughts and photos here or ask a question! (II)

this thread is locked
whmeltonjr
Goldmember
1,363 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Aug 06, 2012 21:48 |  #7651

imjason wrote in post #14823762 (external link)
well your left shot was SHOT AT 1/10 sec. what you are seeing is probably more like motion blur from hand shake.

do this. use 3 batteries, 1 left, 1 center, 1 right. then take the 3 respective shots with the focus points. also use a tripod so nothing is moving.

It is on a tripod, and done with multiple batteries. I was using such a low shutter speed to keep the ISO as low as possible. I probably just need to print a focus chart and do a better test in daylight, but I'm impatient. Both of these are on a tripod. Left is definitely a little softer, but I may be expecting too much? Focus point is on the O on all 3 shots.

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Redirected to error image by FLICKR

Center (external link) by whmeltonjr (external link), on Flickr

IMAGE NOT FOUND
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Redirected to error image by FLICKR

Right (external link) by whmeltonjr (external link), on Flickr
IMAGE NOT FOUND

Left (external link) by whmeltonjr (external link), on Flickr

William | Fuji X-E1 | Fuji X100S | Flickr (external link)

sponsored links
ching
Goldmember
1,370 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Aug 06, 2012 22:28 |  #7652

It could be the barrel distortions/ comer softness. Try doing MA to -3 to see if it helps.
Also, stop it down a tiny little bit( f/2.0 - f2.8) to see if AF performance still behave the same.

Nikon D800

whmeltonjr
Goldmember
1,363 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Aug 06, 2012 23:09 |  #7653

All of these are at 1.8 with -3 done, and focus point in the same place. I'll stop it down a bit and see what happens.

IMAGE NOT FOUND

IMAGE NOT FOUND

IMAGE NOT FOUND

woos
Goldmember
2,224 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Aug 06, 2012 23:12 |  #7654

Heh, my D800 has the left AF focus problem, but doesn't seem to be too bad, I never noticed it until testing it. The live view was annoying me, and the AF with the sigma 120-300mm with the 2x on it was just not up to snuff at wildlife refuge, it would grab the stuff behind the target, seemed to be the same with bare lens, too, really really frustating, not getting the hit rate I was with Canon. Will hafta send it in to Nikon next month for the left AF issue, perhaps. And might hafta look at another lens for bird in flight stuff. I also keep getting oil spots all over the sensor. They cut some QC corners to hit the 3k price point, thats for sure.

But, I'm happy and love the 16-35mm and I love the sensor, this took all the DR:

IMAGE: http://amanathia.zenfolio.com/img/s2/v53/p560311787-5.jpg

link to slightly bigger http://amanathia.zenfo​lio.com/img/s2/v53/p56​0311787-6.jpg (external link)

amanathia.zenfolio.com

whmeltonjr
Goldmember
1,363 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Aug 06, 2012 23:26 |  #7655

Nice shot, woos. I was amazed by the amount of dynamic range just snapping some pictures outside earlier.

Here are some at 2.5, same focus, and still at -3. The left side still looks a little off. The center seemed like it was better at 0. I think I'm done now. I'm going to wear the shutter out on batteries. :lol:

IMAGE NOT FOUND

IMAGE NOT FOUND

IMAGE NOT FOUND

jetcode
Cream of the Crop
6,234 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Aug 07, 2012 00:13 |  #7656

I am really starting to enjoy the Noct. Sharp wide open with view finder focus and I am half blind. Close focus. This shot is handheld. All my lenses are manual focus. Amen.

Gargoyle Flowers

IMAGE NOT FOUND
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'text/html' | Byte size: ZERO

Nikon d800e Nikkor Noct 58mm ISO 1000 f/1.2 1/100
(Best viewed in a color managed browser on a calibrated monitor)

woos
Goldmember
2,224 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Aug 07, 2012 00:28 |  #7657

Man that is some interesting bokeh. I can't decide if I like it or dislike it, but it's interesting. It almost looks the whole image is...twisting...clockw​ise, I'd say. Trippy shot. =)

amanathia.zenfolio.com

tipidsale
331 posts
Joined Sep 2011

Aug 07, 2012 05:21 |  #7658

did you shoot this with any filters?

woos
Goldmember
2,224 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Aug 07, 2012 10:59 |  #7659

tipidsale wrote in post #14824896 (external link)
did you shoot this with any filters?

No filters. 1/6th of a second, handheld, too, lol. It wasn't perfectly sharp at 36mp, it was like 6am or something and I'd been up all night, was super sore, taking tons of coffee and tramadol to stay awake, we were in a hurry and I didn't feel like getting the tripod out (I should have). Was driving out of crater lake, saw the scene and really loved it, had to jump out and take the shot. Ended up clicking it to 18mp in ACR, and it was perfectly sharp at that resolution (good enough). Did a ton of editing to get the shot the way I liked it. Here's the exact editing that I did:

1. Made it 18mp, changed to camera standard from adobe standard (camera neutral, portrait, and standard all look good on the D800, adobe standard, vivid, and landscape have wrong looking colors to my eyes--note I also feel the stock white balance on the D800 looks wrong, at least to my eyes. I change it to +1 +1 in the amber and red directions).

2. Set highlights to -25 and shadows to +25.

3. Make gradient adjust on the sky to bring down exposure by .5. Then raise the whole thing by .25.

4. Set sharpening and NR (I use 50, .8, 50, 10 masking...as my sharpening settings). For NR I use 10/75 and 10/75.

5. Set local adjustments to brighten the bottom area a little and bring out the color. Note that the trees and such were black in the raw file by default. Added vibrance and got the color how I wanted it.

6. At this point: Set clarity to -10. Open file. Re-open, set clarity to 50 (I think I turned sharpening off, too, and NR to 25). Then, blend the clarity 50 sky with the clarity -10 ground.

7. A bit of tweaking in photoshop, and then done. Yay.

The shot would have needed to be HDR on my 60d. However, on the other hand, on my 60d, actually composing and focusing the night shots of crater lake would have been a cinch with live view. On the d800, live view is USELESS in the dark/dusk/twilight. :\ Also, just because you can bring out shadow detail doesn't always mean you should, of course.

Here's a couple more from the trip:

IMAGE: http://amanathia.zenfolio.com/img/s2/v59/p30447044-5.jpg
link to slightly larger: http://amanathia.zenfo​lio.com/img/s2/v59/p30​447044-6.jpg (external link)

This one is HDR...yeah, you could get most of that DR from one shot, and you could pull detail and green out of the trees but it looks wrong imho--the light needs to flow the way it would in the scene with shadows showing where they should...imho..

IMAGE: http://amanathia.zenfolio.com/img/s1/v49/p456643566-5.jpg

link to slightly bigger: http://amanathia.zenfo​lio.com/img/s1/v49/p45​6643566-6.jpg (external link)

amanathia.zenfolio.com

rick_reno
Cream of the Crop
44,642 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Aug 07, 2012 14:01 |  #7660

couple of D800/105mm macro images from yesterday, both are crops from full shots of the flowers, handheld. So far, I'm enjoying this body/lens combination.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

whmeltonjr
Goldmember
1,363 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Aug 07, 2012 17:36 |  #7661

After doing focus test charts, I can safely say mine does NOT have the issue :D

tfizzle
785 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Aug 08, 2012 03:15 |  #7662

d5100. I use it as a backup to my d700 but i already had my tripod mount on it and just said w/e.

IMAGE: http://fainphoto.zenfolio.com/img/s1/v55/p1021999593-5.jpg

ching
Goldmember
1,370 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Aug 08, 2012 08:23 |  #7663

whmeltonjr wrote in post #14827487 (external link)
After doing focus test charts, I can safely say mine does NOT have the issue :D

Congrats :D

Nikon D800

rick_reno
Cream of the Crop
44,642 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Aug 08, 2012 09:41 |  #7664

Anyone here had (or have) both the Nikon 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II and the Canon 70-200 2.8 II? I'm about to sell my Canon and replace it with this Nikon and am worried. I think the Canon is an exceptional lens and am wondering how does the Nikon compare to the Canon.

whmeltonjr
Goldmember
1,363 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Aug 08, 2012 10:40 |  #7665

rick_reno wrote in post #14830426 (external link)
Anyone here had (or have) both the Nikon 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II and the Canon 70-200 2.8 II? I'm about to sell my Canon and replace it with this Nikon and am worried. I think the Canon is an exceptional lens and am wondering how does the Nikon compare to the Canon.

Just get both. ;) Almost everything I've read says the Canon is better and I've seen people say the Nikon isn't really 70-200. I've never shot with the Nikon though.

sponsored links

761,767 views & 0 likes for this thread
Got a Nikon? Share your thoughts and photos here or ask a question! (II)
FORUMS Nikon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Nikon Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.