Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 28 Jun 2012 (Thursday) 00:01
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

New 7D firmware released - good upgrades!

Yogi ­ Bear
Goldmember
1,492 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Aug 07, 2012 17:14 |  #631

phreeky wrote in post #14827370 (external link)
It's just a compressed archive file (i.e. zip) containing a file for you to put on the CF card. The OS is irrelevant and I don't know why Canon have their system set up to make you select an OS when downloading the firmware. I downloaded the Windows "version" and extracted the file and put onto my CF card from Linux.

That is good to know!

Thanks!

Yogi

Canon EOS 7D | EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM | EF-S 55-250mm f/4.0-5.6 IS |
EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM | 250D | EF-S 10-22 mm f/3.5-4.5 USM | 580 EX II |

sponsored links
2slo
Cream of the Crop
6,584 posts
Gallery: 610 photos
Best ofs: 3
Joined Oct 2011

Aug 07, 2012 17:17 as a reply to  @ post 14827310 |  #632

I've just upgraded to firmware 2.0.0. from 1.2.5. I read what this should have provided, auto ISO increase to 6400, GPS compatability etc etc, and those have all installed.
I didn't see any mention of improved noise handling yet It does seem that higher ISO shots (3200 and 4000) have less noise than I was used to seeing previously. None of my settings have been changed (I shoot RAW with user defined 1 and all in camera adjustments set to 0)
So has there been an improvement to noise handling or am I just seeing things?

mrkgoo
Goldmember
2,289 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Aug 07, 2012 17:18 |  #633

-dave-m- wrote in post #14825705 (external link)
I could say it's just as much Apple's responsibilty to make sure software works with a new release. What is so different in Mountain Lion that a basic program like EOS Utility needs an update to work. Ever heard of backward compatability? Or is that forgotten because it's Apple?

As far as upgrading versions of Windows and software issues, sure they happen, but just as often you can reload old software with 0 updates needed. I currently have several programs/games that I have run on Win XP, Vista 32/64 and 7 32/64 with no updates or hassles. I have old peripherals that have not had driver updates since before Win 7 was released, but they work just fine with older Vista drivers.

It can be done, Apple just chooses not to.

I would mostly disagree with this. I understand there's a certain level of responsibility for the OS not to break certain things, but when a major new release comes out that introduces significant under the hood changes, changes that they're asking third party developers to comply with, the onus is on the third party to comply.

Of course, it can be a risky approach, as software development is not cheap and is time-consuming, and with a low Market share it can be easy for even the biggest companies such as canon to abandon the platform as it deems it's not worth the effort. I get that.

The thing with this situation is that eos utility actually works. It just won't work when plugged in with my 7d. But the 7d plays fine with Apple's stuff. So I suspect it's part of the sandboxing of apps that is breaking the communication of eos utility with the 7d. Argue what you will about sandboxing or something, but I still feel it's canons responsibility for their own software to work and not Apple's.

Is it canon's responsibility to make sigma lenses fully compatible on their bodies? If the firmware renders a third party lens from working, should canon be held accountable for it?

mrkgoo
Goldmember
2,289 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Aug 07, 2012 17:26 |  #634

On topic, I noticed when installing the firmware again on top of 2.0 (don't ask), that the percentage meter pauses initially then jumps to 12%, counts up to about 48% then jumps to 98%, kind of like that it senses parts are already there so skips bits. I've seen this before on previous small point release updates but was curious if others have seen this too.

Also, I notice that when processing a raw image, te wait message is "please wait while your movie is being edited". Roll on 2.0.1!

Bill ­ Boehme
Enjoy being spanked
7,359 posts
Gallery: 38 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jan 2007

Aug 07, 2012 17:31 |  #635

2slo wrote in post #14827395 (external link)
I've just upgraded to firmware 2.0.0. from 1.2.5. I read what this should have provided, auto ISO increase to 6400, GPS compatability etc etc, and those have all installed.
I didn't see any mention of improved noise handling yet It does seem that higher ISO shots (3200 and 4000) have less noise than I was used to seeing previously. None of my settings have been changed (I shoot RAW with user defined 1 and all in camera adjustments set to 0)

I don't know -- the placebo effect is pretty powerful. I have noticed that my 7D is now surrounded by an aura of good karma.

Atmospheric haze in images? Click for Tutorial to Reduce Atmospheric Haze with Photoshop.
Gear List .... Gallery: Woodturner Bill (external link)
Donate to Support POTN Operating Costs

TSmith8779
298 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Feb 2006

Aug 07, 2012 17:38 |  #636

I can take X-rays with it now.

Canon 6D & 7D. Panasonic GX85 and a number of ever changing lenses.

KenjiS
"Holy crap its long!"
21,362 posts
Gallery: 550 photos
Joined Oct 2008

Aug 07, 2012 17:41 |  #637

Mine is upgrading as we speak

One oddity i will note is that when i updated the firmware, the firmware filename on the back of the camera was blank... Ah well, its updating fine..

I'm going from version 1.1 to 2.0 lol... I've NEVER updated my 7D and I got it a few months after it came out

Gear, New and Old! RAW Club Member
Wanted: 70-200. Time and good health
Deviantart (external link)
Flickr (This is where my good stuff is!) (external link)

2slo
Cream of the Crop
6,584 posts
Gallery: 610 photos
Best ofs: 3
Joined Oct 2011

Aug 07, 2012 17:41 as a reply to  @ TSmith8779's post |  #638

Ha ha. I'll put it down to improvements in my pp skills since the last time I processed an image from my 7D :)

Magnus3D
Goldmember
1,401 posts
Gallery: 162 photos
Joined Apr 2010

Aug 07, 2012 17:42 |  #639

The same placebo effect got me too, a noticable better noisehandling. I'm off to shoot some more outdoors tomorrow with it, we will see how it performs in both daylight, outdoors concert at night and other strange situations and subjects.

I'll be back...

/ Magnus

| Lots of cheap camera gear |

zyx5432
411 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Aug 07, 2012 17:58 |  #640

Well, I took the plunge thanks to the successful reports of almost everyone here. Was a little nervous given I am heading to Alaska for a week on Friday and certainly didn't want to 'brick' my 7D. Fortunately, I have my new 5Diii just in case (although having a second/back up body was my justification to my wife for adding the 5Diii).

All is good.

Jim_______________
1Dx | 5D Mk III Gripped | 17-40 f/4L | 24-105 f/4L | 50 f/1.8 II | 70-200 f/2.8L IS II | 500 f/4L IS | 580 EX II

Tsmith
Formerly known as Bluedog_XT
10,429 posts
Joined Jul 2005

Aug 07, 2012 17:58 |  #641

Bill Boehme wrote in post #14826907 (external link)
There is nothing different about the raw files. Even if it didn't, that would hardly be important.

Well the reason I ask is that the option to make edits isn't showing up in the menu with previously taken images. It does with anything taken after the update. I was playing around with the WB adjustment when I noticed it.

KenjiS
"Holy crap its long!"
21,362 posts
Gallery: 550 photos
Joined Oct 2008

Aug 07, 2012 18:01 |  #642

The only thing i did so far was put my copyright info in the thing...

havnt gotten to play with it yet, but yes, firmware update successful

Gear, New and Old! RAW Club Member
Wanted: 70-200. Time and good health
Deviantart (external link)
Flickr (This is where my good stuff is!) (external link)

zosobao5150
101 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Aug 07, 2012 18:01 |  #643

Do you lose all your microadjustment settings for your lenses when installing the new firmware?

Canon 7D, Canon 50mm 1.8, Tamron 17-50 non stabilized, Canon 70-200mm 2.8L IS II, Canon 100mm 2.8, Canon 2x Extender MK III, Canon 580EX Flash

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
37,186 posts
Gallery: 111 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002

Aug 07, 2012 18:04 |  #644

Well, I've done it, it says to not hit any buttons, yet I did while it was at 65% done......

Fortunately it was on my remote switching to the Olympics. :D

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)
For Sale: 2x Teleconverter
For Sale: Sigma USB Dock

dfarina
176 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Aug 07, 2012 18:05 |  #645

2slo wrote in post #14827395 (external link)

After reading this I snapped a few raw images at ISO 3200.....hmmm,I think you are right.I was never impressed with the 7D's ability to handle hi ISO noise but it seems to be better?:confused:

sponsored links

238,825 views & 0 likes for this thread
New 7D firmware released - good upgrades!
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.