Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 23 Jul 2012 (Monday) 05:09
Search threadPrev/next
POLL: "What's your take on the EOS-M?"
Pre-ordered! I love being an early adopter.
6.2%
Waiting for reviews and will order!
17.9%
Waiting for reviews but I have no intentions of buying the camera.
27.8%
No thanks. It has not peaked my attention.
48%

273 voters, 273 votes given (1 choice only choices can be voted per member)). VOTING IS FOR MEMBERS ONLY.
BROWSE ALL POLLS
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

EOS-M - Preorder Checklist

Busted ­ Knuckles
109 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Jul 24, 2012 06:13 |  #46

thedge wrote in post #14758155 (external link)
Im debating it since my girlfriend wants a lighter/smaller camera. I think ill wait for Lensrentals to have it so I can rent it before I buy...

Now that is a good idea.... Rather speculate, etc.

If you see me with a wrench - call 911. 5d3, T3i, 17-55 2.8, 50 1.8, 70-200 2.8 L II, 24-105 f4. YN 565, Precision Lupe attached to hacked extended eyecup (no sticky frame) - old enough to have owned an original F-1

sponsored links
DStanic
Cream of the Crop
6,148 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Jul 24, 2012 06:43 |  #47

The battery life is low but considering how much power it will take for the big fancy LCD, powering the AF on EF/EF-S lenses, that would be a similar number of shots as I get with the S100. This camera is not designed for wedding or sports photographers, but rather people that will use it like a S100 but want to be more creative with good glass. If they can design some sort of tiny battery pack that could get 600+ shots that would be nice.

Sony A6000, 16-50PZ, 55-210, 35mm 1.8 OSS
Canon 60D, 30D
Tamron 28-75 2.8, Tamron 17-35, Sigma 50mm 1.4, Canon 85mm 1.8

keitht
51 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Jul 24, 2012 07:32 |  #48

I'm waiting for them to announce some sort of EVF. With a decent EVF you can have decent DOF preview and subject tracking. Of course the lens mount will never support full frame, so this design can never appeal to the top professional market, but on the other hand, Canon had to make it small to appeal to the compact market. If it was like the NEX-7 with Canon lenses I would buy one.

Keith

Yno
862 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Jul 24, 2012 08:36 as a reply to  @ keitht's post |  #49

It just seems like too much of a compromise that doesn't offer any advantages to me. If I want the best IQ I will be carrying my DSLR - it just isn't that heavy. I don't hike the Himalayas, or even backpack into the boonies, so I can manage the weight. If I need something pocketable, I have an Olympus compact waterproof P&S that takes surprisingly good pictures. And I agree with others here, how the heck can you hold this comfortably with a larger lens?

I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.
www.imawino.com (external link)

Hogloff
Cream of the Crop
7,606 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Jul 24, 2012 09:14 |  #50
bannedPermanent ban

Roroco wrote in post #14756762 (external link)
This camera is definitely for the masses more than the enthusiasts. Not optical - or even EVF - viewfinder makes it a deal breaker. It would have also been nice to have physical dials for the settings.

Why can't one of these companies may a rangefinder camera with manual dials for ISO, shutter speed, and aperture for less than $1,000 dollars? Yes, I am looking for a reasonably priced Leica - preferably one that accepts EF-S and EF lenses.

Get a used X100. I got one and it is simply a joy to use and delivers excellent image quality.

Roroco
647 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Jul 24, 2012 09:18 |  #51

Hogloff wrote in post #14761779 (external link)
Get a used X100. I got one and it is simply a joy to use and delivers excellent image quality.

I like the X100, but at that price, I would have liked to be able to swap lenses. I was hoping the X100 would be such a success that other camera companies would follow suit. That hasn't happened yet.

Roger
Gear List: 5D Mark III -- 50mm f/1.4 -- 85mm f1.8 -- 100mm f/2.8L IS Macro -- 17-40mm f/4L -- Tamron 24-70mm f/2.8 VC -- 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II -- 2.0X III TC

Lights -- Alien Bees B800 -- 580 EX II -- Yongnuo YN-560 II & YN-568EX -- Mother Nature -- RF 602s

Yohan ­ Pamudji
Goldmember
2,994 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Jul 24, 2012 11:22 |  #52

Gregg.Siam wrote in post #14761161 (external link)
It simply means that composing via an EVF is not quite as easy or natural as putting your eye to a viewfinder and looking like you would normally. People have complained that composition is a bit harder when not using a viewfinder and I would agree. Can it be done with a EVF, of course. I just don't think it is as natural of a feel and so easy to compose.

Forgive me for the dumb question, but you do know what an EVF is right--an electronic viewfinder? You put your eye up to it just like an optical viewfinder. Are you just saying the electronic nature of it means it's not as easy or natural as an optical one?

As for holding it, I really find it hard to imagine that holding something with the ergonomics of a deck of cards with a lens on it is going to be a joy to shoot with. Your fingers will drop off the bottom and it doesn't really fit your hand in an ergonomical way. It's not so much a bashing of mirrorless, but more like praise of a DSLR that fits really nicely in your hand. I just don't see a smaller format being able to capture that.

There are mirrorless cameras with SLR style bodies. The Panasonic GH2 has a pretty beefy grip considering its small size, and the Olympus E-M5 has an add-on grip to make it more SLR-like, although personally I'm getting along just fine without one on my E-M5. As for the gripless bodies or ones with smaller grips, the way you hold the camera is definitely different. It can be just as comfortable once you get used to it and the lighter camera and lens means that having a beefy grip isn't a necessity like it is on SLRs. I can see how it might not be comfortable for all users though.

But like you said, to each his own. My opinion was really just about me. When I see people using a mirrorless camera I don't think "oh that sucks, I pitty them." I think "great, another photographer enjoying themselves just like me." :cool: (now if you stand in front of me with an iphone or blackberry and try to take 50 shots of the model me and 20 other guys are patiently trying to get a shot of, I will beat you to death with it...but that's another thread. haha)

I hear that :lol:

Skaperen
232 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Aug 07, 2012 23:42 |  #53

swldstn wrote in post #14761171 (external link)
Well I've been looking for a mirrorless with interchangeable lenses for quite some time and this just falls short. Without a viewfinder I just can't consider it. Holding a camera with any real lens at arms length doesn't work for me.

I have also been looking for a mirrorless camera with a good choice of lenses. That this one accepts lenses by DSLRs do is a nice plus. But my want is different. Lack of a viewfinder is merely a slight negative. My desire is for tripod mounted shooting with less vibration. This would do that more me. But in other areas it might fail. I want to do lots of shots at a time, timer controlled or computer controlled. That means it needs to have an external connector for that, or at minimum controllable via USB or have a built-in timer sequencer. The 230 shots per battery charge can be a show stopper, though I find DSLRs have limitations for me in this area, too. I have an AC adapter for my 7D. I'm looking for a way to do that from an external DC power source, too. I want to take multiple shots for perhaps hours at a time. And it's not about time lapse.

7D, 450D, 18-135/3.5-5.6, 18-55/3.5-5.6, 60/2.8 macro
Wish List: 5DsR, 16-35/2.8L,100/2.8L macro, 135/2L, LC-E6E

triton3k
Goldmember
3,358 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Aug 08, 2012 00:09 |  #54

I decided to pass on it. Hopefully the next one is a big improvement and can add a few things that others have said are a deal breaker.

Denn_Ice
Yashica Mat 124G, Canon A1, Sony A7RII, Sony Fe 16-35 F/4, Sony Fe 28 F/2, Sony Fe 55 F/1.8 Canon FD 24 F/2.8, FD 50 F/1.8, FD 135 F/2.5, Canon FL 50 F/1.4
Check me out on flickr (external link) Tumblr (external link) Instagram (external link) 500PX (external link)

nonick
Goldmember
1,588 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Aug 08, 2012 00:48 |  #55

I decided to pass on the EOS M and go with the M4/3s system. Really happy with my new Oly OM-D E-M5. For easy travel and carry around without giving up fast and accurate AF, sophisticated/customiz​able external controls and features, flexibility of lenses and accessory choices, great picture quality and color, the oly is sure the most balanced MILC in the market so far.

Gear|Searching for 7DII, Buying 5DIII 35L II, 24-70 2.8L IS

District_History_Fan
Goldmember
2,286 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Aug 08, 2012 09:30 |  #56

DStanic wrote in post #14755738 (external link)
I was hoping it would look like a GX-1 and not a cheap ELPH.

Other than the typical high price, I've been trying to put my finger on what it is about the EOS-M that just didn't grab me. This is it.

It is still an interesting option for us Canon dSLR shooters. My plan is to wait on the reviews. Hopefully a "pro" version is in the pipeline.

www.ericmcferrin.smugm​ug.com (external link)

eos5mjunkie
Hatchling
1 post
Joined Aug 2012

Aug 08, 2012 11:51 as a reply to  @ District_History_Fan's post |  #57

I pre-ordered on the first day it was announced. I have been shooting digital for 11 years and have a Canon 10D and a 30D along with 5 lenses including the 17-40mm which I love. I still use the DSLRs for professional shooting (10D is a backup), but never take either when I'm on vacation or when I want to travel light. I didn't take either with me to Europe a couple months ago, so I missed out on some great shots. The other downside is that both use CF cards instead of SD cards and neither will film video. Additionally, the 10D is only 6 megapixels, the 30D is 8.2MP and neither of them has live view.

I could upgrade to another DSLR with the latest features, but I still wouldn't travel with it, so I don't feel I would gain as much with another DSLR.

When the EOS-M was announced, I knew it was right for me because not only can I use my existing lenses with the adapter, but it seems to be semi-pocketable and I can finally get all of the new features that I've been missing (18MP, SD card slot, HD video, live-view, touch screen, higher ISO, etc.).

Sure, I could wait for the 2nd generation of the EOS-M, but I'd be waiting another year or more and still be missing out on the latest features.

For me, the EOS-M is the perfect upgrade for now and when the next model comes out, I can always sell and upgrade again...

Hogloff
Cream of the Crop
7,606 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Aug 08, 2012 17:34 |  #58
bannedPermanent ban

eos5mjunkie wrote in post #14831057 (external link)
I pre-ordered on the first day it was announced. I have been shooting digital for 11 years and have a Canon 10D and a 30D along with 5 lenses including the 17-40mm which I love. I still use the DSLRs for professional shooting (10D is a backup), but never take either when I'm on vacation or when I want to travel light. I didn't take either with me to Europe a couple months ago, so I missed out on some great shots. The other downside is that both use CF cards instead of SD cards and neither will film video. Additionally, the 10D is only 6 megapixels, the 30D is 8.2MP and neither of them has live view.

I could upgrade to another DSLR with the latest features, but I still wouldn't travel with it, so I don't feel I would gain as much with another DSLR.

When the EOS-M was announced, I knew it was right for me because not only can I use my existing lenses with the adapter, but it seems to be semi-pocketable and I can finally get all of the new features that I've been missing (18MP, SD card slot, HD video, live-view, touch screen, higher ISO, etc.).

Sure, I could wait for the 2nd generation of the EOS-M, but I'd be waiting another year or more and still be missing out on the latest features.

For me, the EOS-M is the perfect upgrade for now and when the next model comes out, I can always sell and upgrade again...

Canon loves people like you.

meglet
Goldmember
1,305 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Oct 2007

Aug 08, 2012 17:51 |  #59

Another vote for "pre-ordered" here. Yeah, it has some drawbacks (lack of viewfinder is the major one to me) but it's still a tiny, purse-sized camera that can attach to my EF lenses when I need it to.

Am I going to pack the M to use with my 100-400mm? No. (well, OK, not after I take the first photo of doing so :D) But I'm certainly going to pack the M on days I don't want to lug around the 60D and bag o' lenses.

I tried getting an S95 as a companion to my 60D, and I was perfectly fine with the controls, the screen, and the lack of viewfinder. I wasn't fine with the lack of range, and the P&S image quality. I think the M will be able to make up for at least some of that between the APS-C sensor, and the EF lens compatibility.

And if not, well, I can always sell it later. (Yes, Canon loves people like me.)

Canon EOS 70D | Canon EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM | Tamron SP 60mm f/2 Macro Di II | Samyang 8mm f/3.8 VDSLR Fish-eye

oaktree
Goldmember
1,835 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Aug 09, 2012 11:02 |  #60

I voted "No thanks", not because it did not peaked my attention. I paid a lot of attention to the EOS-M, but it just didn't have the features I wanted. I looked elsewhere.

Too much stuff, not enough shooting time.

Canon T4i (2 lenses), Fuji X100s, Olympus OM-D EM-1 (3 lenses)

sponsored links

11,277 views & 0 likes for this thread
EOS-M - Preorder Checklist
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.