Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos Video and Sound Editing 
Thread started 28 Dec 2011 (Wednesday) 17:48
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

STICKY: A list of Picture Profiles for use in Canon EOS DSLRs

Eric_Lopotosky
68 posts
Joined Jul 2012

Aug 07, 2012 23:59 |  #61

This is awesome. I uploaded some today on my camera and took a few test pictures. I dont shoot a lot of video so I am going to experiment with these for images.

7D Gripped, Canon 17-40 4.0L, 70-200 f2.8L, 135 2.0L, 50 1.4, 85 1.8, 28-135 3.5-5.6,
Yongnuo YN-560 II Speedlight , Essential 72MM Lens Filter Kit

sponsored links
Glueeater
598 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Aug 08, 2012 12:59 |  #62

ChasWG wrote in post #14805148 (external link)
So how do you like the Flaat PP Glueeater? Did you get it installed a shot?

Whoops, didn't get a chance to install/shoot. I've got some projects I'm working on in the next two weeks that I'll try to use this for. I'll see how it affects my workflow.

John ­ Sims
Goldmember
1,437 posts
Joined Sep 2006

Aug 22, 2012 09:23 |  #63

A little something I knocked up to try to explain to a colleague about picture styles. Such is the problem with talking to people with big broadcast quality point and shoot video cameras ;-)a

Apparently my footage doesn't look as nice as his Sony footage so he cant use it.
In the same way if you gave some people footage in 4K HD Redcode RAW they wouldn't have a scoobie what to do with it either. Does that make it nasty?

http://youtu.be/AKG7Hb​lR0vg (external link)

What did impress me over the nastiness of the "raw" CineStyle is the amount of information it retains. If you look at the bag by the chair on the left particularly.

There is little doubt it is something of a pain in a workflow of multiple different cameras as it looks completely different to the "Point and shoot" footage. Although I have suggested putting all of the CineStyle footage on a separate time line and applying a global filter this doesn't work well as different clips require different amounts of contrast and saturation adding. It helps in part but isn't necessarily a good solution.

It just goes to show that you need to check with the recipient what they are expecting to get.

John Sims
Canon 60D, 30D, 10D, AE1 & some other stuff

John ­ Sims
Goldmember
1,437 posts
Joined Sep 2006

Aug 22, 2012 11:06 |  #64

Now here's an interesting thought:-

As I understand ,how CineStyle works is it compresses the contrast and saturation so - in point and shoot mode (let's call it Sony) if the sky is 99 and the shadows 3 CineStyle would have the sky at 80 and the shadows at 20. If it got darker Sony only has 3 more points of darkness left before total black and ligher 1 more point before white out no information at all. CineStyle, based on the above, would still have 20 points of lightness and 20 points of darkness.........

However, if you are going to compress the available scale from 100 points to 60 points, as above, then the transition between each point must be coarser and you are therefor sacrificing some information in the field, potentially important to you.

As an example, I shot an interview in changing light using CineStyle. While I could get the image to an overall acceptable look I had significant problems with the talents forehead. There, seemingly, just wasn't enough information available to stop the skin going patchy.

I am given to wonder if I had used a less aggressive picture style this would have retained a greater scale of information in this important area. Granted the shadows might have gone black or some highlights burnt out but, at least the talent wouldn't look as if they had a skin disease.

It just goes to show that you need more than one picture profile and have to pick the most suitable for the job in hand........perhaps I'll just get a Blackmagic and shoot everything in RAW. :-)

John Sims

ChasWG
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,640 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Aug 22, 2012 21:14 |  #65

Interesting points John. And it looks like you found out the hard way that while the background is important, the lighting and exposure on your main talent is even more important. Always shoot and expose for the talent before the background goes too dark or too light. There are tools to make these things happen in harmony, but not many people here would have access to them. Especially on a sit down interviews, these are fairly easy to control with the right gear.

I do agree that using more than one PP is a good thing. Not every profile works for every shoot. Many of the high end Sony and Panasonic cameras can change their picture styles. It's usually done with a preloaded profile on a SD card that is inserted into the camera and then loaded. So they can change the look of the images they shoot as well as some of the more important camera settings, button lay outs and other bits and pieces.

For a while now I've been wanting to create one of my own, something wild and very odd. Not an every day style but for a very specific type of shoot. I'll have to play around with it some and find just the right subject to use it on.

Chas Gordon
7D Gripped/40D Gripped/10-24/EF24-70 f2.8L/EF70-200 f4L/EF50 f1.8 Mk I/EF85 f1.8
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/chaswg/ (external link)
http://vimeo.com/user9​461302/videos (external link)

Kylemorgan88
423 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Oct 2011

Aug 30, 2012 23:08 as a reply to  @ post 13647303 |  #66

Anybody have experience with this PP? http://www.hiidefiniti​on.com/HD/Cine_VisionP​lus.html (external link)

Here is the demo video on vimeo: https://vimeo.com/4517​6020 (external link)

Kylemorgan88
423 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Aug 30, 2012 23:31 as a reply to  @ Kylemorgan88's post |  #67

One odd quesion I have: Is there a way to change the name of a downloaded PP as it reads on the camera?

I downloaded the R3 PP Chas posted and for some reason seeing the name R0701L bugs me. It deserves better :).

ChasWG
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,640 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Sep 03, 2012 19:38 |  #68

Huh, interesting question. You can change other perameters of the profile, why not the name? Maybe by introducing it into the PP Editor program that comes with all the software with your camera.

Chas Gordon
7D Gripped/40D Gripped/10-24/EF24-70 f2.8L/EF70-200 f4L/EF50 f1.8 Mk I/EF85 f1.8

Kylemorgan88
423 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Sep 05, 2012 21:25 as a reply to  @ ChasWG's post |  #69

So I've been using Cinema1, R0701L, and Shutterdown lately.

My favorite is definitely Cinema1. It doesn't render yellow's very well, but all other colors appear to be very close to what my native eye sees. RO701L is also very good, but seems to give a red cast to many objects. Shutterdown is just too flat for me and if I'm planning to do some color grading in post, I'll just use technicolor or marvels.

Shutterdown has now been replaced with John Hope's Cinema PP, which I've yet to test, but will be doing so over the next few days.

Glueeater
598 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Sep 23, 2012 21:48 |  #70

This is an analysis of Canon Standard vs Technicolor CineStyle by my roommate (he's 12):

http://youtu.be/sjrwq8​Dss8Q (external link)

/s

Flaat review coming soon.

HumphreyB
Mostly Lurking
17 posts
Joined Sep 2012

Sep 27, 2012 04:15 |  #71

Has anyone ever tried FLAAT picture profile? I use Cinestyle and apparently FLAAT is better?
http://www.similaar.co​m …picture-styles/index.html (external link)

7D, 24-70mm f2.8 L MKII, 50mm f1.4 USM, 18-135mm IS
Youtube (external link)
Website (external link)

ChasWG
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,640 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Oct 05, 2012 01:09 |  #72

"Better" is a reletive term. Is your Cadilac better than my Cadilac?

Just sayin'.

Chas Gordon

John ­ Sims
Goldmember
1,437 posts
Joined Sep 2006

Oct 08, 2012 02:07 |  #73

Perhaps in addition to the picture style we should include the recipe on what filters to add in post to generate an acceptable image. Particular note is Cinestyle which looks pretty grim as it comes out of the camera.

John Sims

charlestrm
252 posts
Joined Jan 2013

Jan 30, 2013 15:17 |  #74

great post

Gear and Feedback
I love capturing moments and telling stories.

xghostx
329 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Mar 06, 2013 11:37 |  #75

I have searched this thread and I must be overlooking it but can someone please point me to the R3_0701L preset download. Thanks.

Site (external link)
Gear List

sponsored links

140,471 views & 0 likes for this thread
A list of Picture Profiles for use in Canon EOS DSLRs
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos Video and Sound Editing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.