Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 24 Dec 2011 (Saturday) 06:57
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Luma Labs New Strap

gakoenig
427 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Aug 03, 2012 13:55 |  #121

i-G12 wrote in post #14809067 (external link)
Update on the QR?

SLA prototypes made for ergonomic evaluation and tweaked. We used those as platforms for figuring out the spring gate (it is basically an optimized, machined carabiner). Now the big holdup is that the machine shop we work with is still slammed with Boeing stuff and these really cool titanium knee replacements they make for a medical company. As soon as we can get time on the Citizen, we'll cut our first metal pieces for durability and function testing.

The CNC schedules are hectic (as anyone who has been waiting weeks for their Cinch to ship has been suffering from), so I can't predict when we will get our time on it (a Citizen with all the kit is a $750k machine, they keep it turning and making money as much as is humanly possible for obvious financial reasons).

http://lu.ma (external link), greg@luma-labs.com (external link)

sponsored links
Phoenixkh
a mere speck
6,829 posts
Gallery: 67 photos
Joined May 2011

Aug 03, 2012 14:15 |  #122

Greg,

Thanks for the update. Lots of us here are anxious, as you are too, I'm sure. It looks like you'll soon be shipping Cinches from stock... .congrats. That will make things easier.

Kim (the male variety) Canon 1DX2 | 1D IV | 16-35 f/4 IS | 24-105 f/4 IS | 100L IS macro | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II | 100-400Lii | 50 f/1.8 STM | Canon 1.4X III
RRS tripod and monopod | 580EXII | Cinch 1 & Loop 3 Special Edition | Editing Encouraged

jdizzle
Darth Noink
69,419 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Aug 03, 2012 16:30 |  #123

Thanks for the update. I'm anxiously waiting for the quick disconnect. :)

john_galt
576 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Aug 03, 2012 18:30 |  #124

sorry if i missed, but the qr will be an add on that existing owners can just add on?

Gear: 5d iii, 17-40mm l, 24-70mm ii, 35mm 1.4 l, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 135mm l, 70-200mm ii l, 600ex-rt

i-G12
Wat?
1,714 posts
Gallery: 85 photos
Joined Feb 2011

Aug 03, 2012 18:59 |  #125

john_galt wrote in post #14811051 (external link)
sorry if i missed, but the qr will be an add on that existing owners can just add on?

Seems to be the case. No details yet however.

mike_d
Cream of the Crop
5,295 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2009

Aug 03, 2012 19:00 |  #126

Add-on. So you can buy your non-QR Cinch now and add the QR's later.

gakoenig
427 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Aug 03, 2012 20:28 |  #127

It is essentially a very small hook with a wire spring gate on it. There are other connectors of this style, but none of them are really made for attaching to cameras (they are too small, too big, or stamped metal with sharp edges). We've taken the basic concept and tuned it (materials, manufacturing techniques) to be perfect for cameras. The whole thing is designed by Luma and made here in Portland.

The design took a long time because we wanted to explore every possible option. The design we settled on was the simplest one out there - it is proven very reliable, strong, simple to use and we are also trying to keep the cost down (a first for us). Why make things more complicated than they need to be?

We also intend for them to be used on *any* strap with 3/8" webbing connectors (Canon, Nikon, Panasonic, Crumpler, OpTec and others), much the same way that the Membrane Connector can be used to attach inferior single point slings to cameras with tripod QR plates... =)

http://lu.ma (external link), greg@luma-labs.com (external link)

fryedrice
50 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Aug 06, 2012 02:42 |  #128

Thanks for always keeping us in the loop! Very excited to receive my Cinch + membrane connector... I'll make sure to keep an eye out for the QR you guys are working on!

Sirrith
Cream of the Crop
10,545 posts
Gallery: 50 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Nov 2010

Aug 08, 2012 00:00 |  #129

Well, I just received mine and am impressed with the quality of it. Very nice spongy padding.

Only issue with it; my left hand is now covered in some kind of black residue from the strap!
That and I'm not sure if the membrane connector will have any effect on stability when using a tripod (it is a bit spongy and thicker than I thought, so could mean some slight movement, but testing will see if this is really a problem).

-Tom
Flickr (external link)
F-Stop Guru review | RRS BH-40 review

itsmejson
Goldmember
1,201 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Aug 08, 2012 00:24 |  #130

Sirrith wrote in post #14829117 (external link)
Well, I just received mine and am impressed with the quality of it. Very nice spongy padding.

Only issue with it; my left hand is now covered in some kind of black residue from the strap!
That and I'm not sure if the membrane connector will have any effect on stability when using a tripod (it is a bit spongy and thicker than I thought, so could mean some slight movement, but testing will see if this is really a problem).

I just received mine a few days ago and had the same black
residue - it has gone away though :) The other thing is trying to get it dialed in
to the right length and feel. I spent awhile messing w/ it lol.

- 5DmarkII | EF 24-70L F2.8 | EF 70-200L F4 | 580EX II | Gitzo 1541T w/ Photoclam Pro-34NS -
- TT Streetwalker Pro | Domke F-5XC -
Flickr (external link)

sponsored links

28,999 views & 0 likes for this thread
Luma Labs New Strap
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.