Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Sports 
Thread started 08 Aug 2012 (Wednesday) 01:10
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

2012 US OPEN FINALS of SURFING

shutterpat
Cream of the Crop
10,508 posts
Gallery: 29 photos
Best ofs: 11
Joined Sep 2010

Aug 08, 2012 01:10 |  #1

After 9 days of competitive surfing amongst international surfers, the Australian Julian Wilson & Lackey Peterson of Santa Barbara, Ca are now the 2012 US OPEN of SURFING Champs!

The mecca of surfing , South-side of Huntington Beach, Ca is now back to the local surfers. The cloud of dust has settled in, the stadium and the bleachers are bits & pieces being put away for next year event.

I'm pretty sure a lot of you, fellow POTN'rs were there as well just like Airbutchie & I.

<(*>*)> snaps from Sunday's finals. All taken with a 1DMKII + 300 F4L IS + 1.4xII and a tube of SPF 15 sunblock lotion hehehe...

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Redirected to error image by FLICKR

2012 US OPEN of SURFING CHAMP Julian Wilson (external link) by OC PAT (external link), on Flickr

IMAGE NOT FOUND
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Redirected to error image by FLICKR

2012 US OPEN of SURFING CHAMP Lackey Peterson (external link) by OC PAT (external link), on Flickr

IMAGE NOT FOUND

Kelly Slater (external link) by OC PAT (external link), on Flickr

IMAGE NOT FOUND

Brett Simpson (external link) by OC PAT (external link), on Flickr

IMAGE NOT FOUND

John John Florence (external link) by OC PAT (external link), on Flickr

IMAGE NOT FOUND

Gabriel Medina (external link) by OC PAT (external link), on Flickr

IMAGE NOT FOUND

Miguel Pupo (external link) by OC PAT (external link), on Flickr

IMAGE NOT FOUND

Carissa Moore (external link) by OC PAT (external link), on Flickr

....and to view the full album click on the link below.

https://plus.google.co​m …37?authkey=CJ3J​i53gvcrQFA (external link)

Follow me --> https://www.instagram.​com/shutterpat/ (external link)

sponsored links
24alpha
Goldmember
1,031 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Aug 08, 2012 06:41 |  #2

Geez, could you jam anymore top name surfers in there! Lol
Fantastic images.
Julian rips hard!!!!!

Brian_R
Goldmember
2,656 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Aug 08, 2012 08:13 |  #3

awesome shots!

rick_reno
Cream of the Crop
44,642 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Aug 08, 2012 08:48 |  #4

wow, spectacular shots.

Croasdail
making stuff up
7,483 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Apr 2005

Aug 08, 2012 09:12 |  #5

Glad to see some shots with people getting more air. I was beginning to get a bit worried about the state of the sport. Nice clean shots... looks like tons of fun... and the fact that you did it with the f4 variant of the 300 is great. I saw too many comments in previous post about needed fast lenses... and this is thankfully one sport yoiu usually don't need an f2.8 lens for. Good examples of what can be snagged.

Cheers

Mark
Its by knowing and mastering all the rules that you learn which ones you can break.

alpharon
463 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Aug 08, 2012 11:37 |  #6

It was a great contest, wasn't it? These are great shots. A couple of them are a tad grainy, or maybe it's just noise or salt spray in the photo. My favorite shot is Medina's air.

R O N P A R E J A (external link) | Twitter (external link)

Croasdail
making stuff up
7,483 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Apr 2005

Aug 08, 2012 13:29 |  #7

I wish people would focus on content rather than the technical issues. I have seen way too many technically perfect shots or weak subjects. I would take these shots, soft or grainy, over shots that have weak content..... "noise" is an over blown issues, and almost hardly an issue when actually printed. A few of the shots are a little flat as well.... but content is still superior.

Just my two cents worth.... but I am an old timer where "noise" like this woudl be a dream.

Mark
Its by knowing and mastering all the rules that you learn which ones you can break.

T2i4me
Goldmember
2,905 posts
Joined Jun 2011

Aug 08, 2012 13:45 |  #8

Awesome stuff Patrick, with the smaller surf I bet they were a bit closer to the beach (read less cropping), last contest I shot the break was out past the end of the pier so they looked like dots in my lens!

Thanks for sharing.

-- Eric --
5DC - T2i - 100-400 L IS - 70-200 F4 L - 17-40 L - EF 85 1.8 - EF-S 10-22 - EF-S 15-85 IS - EF-S 60 macro - 430EX II

Dmab
Goldmember
1,207 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Aug 09, 2012 10:28 |  #9

Geez, these are just amazing.
I love frozen water shots, and these are as dynamic as you can get.

Dan
=======
Gear List

shutterpat
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
10,508 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Aug 09, 2012 14:40 |  #10

^^ Thanks for chimin' in fellas. Glad y'all like 'em. I still have some more that need to be process but not gotten the time yet due to projects @ work.

joeblack2022
Goldmember
3,005 posts
Joined Sep 2011

Aug 09, 2012 15:22 |  #11

I know nothing about surfing, but they look awfully close to that pier..!

Nice work. :)

Joel

kranksnapper
37 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Aug 09, 2012 15:52 |  #12

RAD SHOTS!

Maureen ­ Souza
Ms. MODERATOR     Something Spectacular!
33,217 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Feb 2005

Aug 09, 2012 15:55 |  #13

Very awesome. I grew up in HB & miss living so close to the beach. But I go back fairly often..... Love HB & the surfing competitions. Your shots are wonderful.

Life is hard...but I just take it one photograph at a time.

5DMK4
7DMK2
Canon Lenses: 50/1.4, 135/2.0, 100-400mm II, 24-70/2.8 II

shutterpat
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
10,508 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Aug 09, 2012 23:26 |  #14

^^ Thank y'all....and to Maureen, here's HB for ya...hope you come & visit soon. :cool:

IMAGE: https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-u7Ls7ZrCynY/UCHsqjXKfnI/AAAAAAAAOEw/XLcW790Ettc/s903/ZB3W6728.jpg

IMAGE: https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-gZYJ2ZWc5kw/UCHslnEdYNI/AAAAAAAAODg/LhnpE9sg2g8/s903/ZB3W6686.jpg

IMAGE: https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-ScMljihOcf8/UCKHZsB8o5I/AAAAAAAAOWE/VNyaQs8zkEA/s866/ZB3W6383.JPG

sponsored links

2,344 views & 0 likes for this thread
2012 US OPEN FINALS of SURFING
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Sports 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.