Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 07 Aug 2012 (Tuesday) 22:07
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

How to get a reflective floor

Edshropshire
316 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Aug 07, 2012 22:07 |  #1

I have been seeing more studio images where the floor is reflective - almost mirror like, but with the color of the background and floor. Looks like something transparent placed on the cloth. Just wondering what people are using for the effect.

5D MK2, 7D, 40D, 24-70 L, 70-200 f4 L, 85 1.8, 50 1.8, 28-135 IS, Sigma 15-30, Sigma 150-500, 580 MKII, 430 MKII, Alien Bees for studio work

sponsored links
dmward
Cream of the Crop
9,083 posts
Gallery: 29 photos
Joined Jun 2009

Aug 07, 2012 22:13 |  #2

If its anything other than white its usually a 4x8 sheet of plexi.
If its white, then it may well be a sheet of white tile board available at places like home depot for about $15 per 4x8 sheet. Nice thing about the tile board, if you decide you need two, if the overlap is away from the camera the seam is nearly invisible.

David | Sharing my Insights, Knowledge & Experience (external link) | dmwfotos website (external link)

CrackedLens
75 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Aug 07, 2012 22:56 as a reply to  @ dmward's post |  #3

If you decide to buy two, buy them at the same time from the same lot. I just picked up a second tile board from HD, and it is an entirely different shade of white! My previous purchase was only a month ago, but from a different HD location. Just an FYI!

Michael

dmward
Cream of the Crop
9,083 posts
Gallery: 29 photos
Joined Jun 2009

Aug 08, 2012 07:36 |  #4

Good point. And the overlap away from camera works reasonably well for plexi as well.

David | Sharing my Insights, Knowledge & Experience (external link) | dmwfotos website (external link)

fidelfs
77 posts
Joined Nov 2003

Aug 08, 2012 16:27 |  #5

This is the one I use: http://www.amazon.com …ef=oh_details_o​04_s00_i00 (external link)

Edshropshire
THREAD ­ STARTER
316 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Aug 08, 2012 17:49 |  #6

Thanks everyone, what I am looking for is clear - sorry should have been more specific. Question is do you want a flexible sheet of plexi. Also, does anyone know if Home Depot, Lowes or another store that is generally local would carry something like this?

Thanks
Ed

5D MK2, 7D, 40D, 24-70 L, 70-200 f4 L, 85 1.8, 50 1.8, 28-135 IS, Sigma 15-30, Sigma 150-500, 580 MKII, 430 MKII, Alien Bees for studio work

fidelfs
77 posts
Joined Nov 2003

Aug 08, 2012 19:08 |  #7

HD, lowes they have plexi but not flexible. It is heavy, that is why I like mine that I posted above, it is light, and it can be make it into a tube. It is easier to handle that a big heavy piece of plexy.

I can use with any color, because is transparent.

MrScott
243 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Aug 08, 2012 19:47 |  #8

Be aware that clear scratches pretty easy. And that scratches and the edge will highlight pretty strong under studio lights. Unless your shooting at 1.something you may have to PS the far edge. Shoot it over black or dark papers and every image will require post.

I used to get my 4x8 sheets from Regal Plastics. Guess you should have a local sign supply nearby if you want to try it out. Make sure to ask or dig thrum the remnants. You might be able to get a chunk to test for cheap.

Edshropshire
THREAD ­ STARTER
316 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Aug 09, 2012 08:11 |  #9

fidelfs wrote in post #14832791 (external link)
HD, lowes they have plexi but not flexible. It is heavy, that is why I like mine that I posted above, it is light, and it can be make it into a tube. It is easier to handle that a big heavy piece of plexy.

I can use with any color, because is transparent.

I like what you posted - problem is Amazon does not have it anymore and not link on where I can get something similar. I have been doing some Google searching but nothing is coming up. I will keep looking. Thanks for the responses, I know what to look for now I just need to find it :)

cdifoto
Don't get pissy with me
34,090 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Aug 09, 2012 08:15 |  #10

Edshropshire wrote in post #14828680 (external link)
I have been seeing more studio images where the floor is reflective - almost mirror like, but with the color of the background and floor. Looks like something transparent placed on the cloth. Just wondering what people are using for the effect.

Plexiglas floor with overhead lighting.

Did you lose Digital Photo Professional (DPP)? Get it here (external link). Cursing at your worse-than-a-map reflector? Check out this vid! (external link)

cdifoto
Don't get pissy with me
34,090 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Aug 09, 2012 08:16 |  #11

dmward wrote in post #14828712 (external link)
If its anything other than white its usually a 4x8 sheet of plexi.
If its white, then it may well be a sheet of white tile board available at places like home depot for about $15 per 4x8 sheet. Nice thing about the tile board, if you decide you need two, if the overlap is away from the camera the seam is nearly invisible.

If it's white it's a muslin or paper under the Plexiglas.

Did you lose Digital Photo Professional (DPP)? Get it here (external link). Cursing at your worse-than-a-map reflector? Check out this vid! (external link)

arich
401 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Aug 09, 2012 10:42 |  #12

http://hurleyprogear.c​om/gear/proboard (external link)

http://andrew-richardson.net (external link)

fidelfs
77 posts
Joined Nov 2003

Aug 09, 2012 11:05 |  #13

Edshropshire,

I have the contact for the same guy in Ebay. I will search when I get home. The price is reasonable around 40 bucks or so. Hurley proboard is 150.00

fidelfs
77 posts
Joined Nov 2003

Aug 09, 2012 11:50 |  #14

I found the seller, he doesn't have it, but he might know where to get more.

The ebay handle is kikokurio

Hopelessdfilms
169 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Aug 09, 2012 13:06 as a reply to  @ fidelfs's post |  #15

As others have stated, plexi is the way to go. Another option is a large mirror.

Each material will give different effects.

There are also colored plexi and plexi with different finishes, like frosted, blasted, polished, clear, etc....

just my .02c

sponsored links

11,682 views & 0 likes for this thread
How to get a reflective floor
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.