Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS News & Rumors Camera Rumors and Predictions 
Thread started 24 Jul 2012 (Tuesday) 09:29
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

1DX successor (due September)

SunTsu
Goldmember
1,591 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Jul 27, 2012 19:43 |  #61

I agree with both nuffi and jdizzle on their last posts.

There aren't enough change from the Mark II to the Mark III for me to feel like I'm getting any value.

I'm probably one of the easiest consumers to prey on too. I bought 5 600EXs just for the RF. So if Canon can't convince me to upgrade from a Mark II to a Mark III, I have to think there are others who feel the same.

Canon 5D Mark II+BG-E6, Canon 5D+BG-E4 | 200-400mmL IS, 85mm F1.2L II, TS-E 17mm F4.0L , 16-35mm F2.8L II, 24-105mmL IS, 70-200mm [COLOR=#000000]F2.8L II IS, 100mm F2.8L Macro IS, 100mm F2.8 Macro, 40mm F2.8, 1.4x II, 2.0x III | EF12+25 II | Canon 600EX-RT (x5) | Gitzo support
Full Gear List

sponsored links
jdizzle
Darth Noink
69,419 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Jul 27, 2012 20:57 |  #62

SunTsu wrote in post #14779498 (external link)

There aren't enough change from the Mark II to the Mark III for me to feel like I'm getting any value.

I'm probably one of the easiest consumers to prey on too. I bought 5 600EXs just for the RF. So if Canon can't convince me to upgrade from a Mark II to a Mark III, I have to think there are others who feel the same.

I still have my 1Ds MK III and it's been reliable since day one. Yeah, the 5D III has improvements as far as FPS, ISO, 61 point AF, etc. but, it's not enough for me to bite. :)

rick_reno
Cream of the Crop
44,642 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Jul 27, 2012 21:51 |  #63

SunTsu wrote in post #14779498 (external link)

I won't be biting on the 5D3, not enough there for the money to get me to open my wallet.

Osiriz
622 posts
Joined Jul 2012

Jul 27, 2012 22:15 |  #64

I must admit that I almost bought the 5D3 because of the new AF system, but after some testing I realized that the improved AF was the only real point of interest for me. :)

Right now I am patiently awaiting the "true sucessor" of the 5D2 (a.k.a Canon's real answer to the D800), however there is one thing that worries me. Currently it looks like Canon is more than ready to produce a sensor with high MP, but not necessarily with high DR and impressive shadow pushing capabilities.

DR is just as important as the megapixels, esp on a high MP body. I'm afraid that Canon will miss the point.

Lowner
"I'm the original idiot"
12,924 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Jul 28, 2012 01:48 |  #65

Osiriz wrote in post #14779948 (external link)
.......DR is just as important as the megapixels, esp on a high MP body. I'm afraid that Canon will miss the point.

Canon have been quoted in the past as saying they intend to improve DR.

However they do quote absurd DR figures for cameras already, figures that have no practical use but have been measured in artificial laboratory conditions. When I see a "real" 8 stop DR I will start celebrating. To get that real 8 stops, the lab would probably be claiming 20 stops.

Richard

http://rcb4344.zenfoli​o.com (external link)

Secretariat
26 posts
Joined Jul 2012

Jul 31, 2012 03:05 as a reply to  @ Lowner's post |  #66

Do you guys think that Canon shall make an 1/3 crop ped version of the 1DX?
Thanks.

Lowner
"I'm the original idiot"
12,924 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Jul 31, 2012 03:12 |  #67

Secretariat wrote in post #14793851 (external link)
Do you guys think that Canon shall make an 1/3 crop ped version of the 1DX?
Thanks.

Only my guess, but I doubt it given what they have said in the past.

Richard

woos
Goldmember
2,224 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Aug 06, 2012 16:22 |  #68

Canon could get high DR from their existing analog readout CMOS sensor architecture, I'm positive. Just easier and cheaper to do it with on-chip ADCs. Getting high DR, high speed readout for live view/video, is probably difficult/pricey.

amanathia.zenfolio.com

Lowner
"I'm the original idiot"
12,924 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Aug 07, 2012 03:24 |  #69

woos wrote in post #14822450 (external link)
Canon could get high DR from their existing analog readout CMOS sensor architecture, I'm positive. Just easier and cheaper to do it with on-chip ADCs. Getting high DR, high speed readout for live view/video, is probably difficult/pricey.

Woos,

I'd very happily live without the high speed video if Canon have a problem there. They deserve problems for concentrating on video and not DR in the past. Nikon have stolen a march on them and no mistake.

Video is best left for video cameras.

Richard

FlyingPhotog
Cream of the "Prop"
57,560 posts
Joined May 2007

Aug 07, 2012 03:51 |  #70

Lowner wrote in post #14824704 (external link)
Woos,

I'd very happily live without the high speed video if Canon have a problem there. They deserve problems for concentrating on video and not DR in the past. Nikon have stolen a march on them and no mistake.

Which is why one of Nikons biggest achievements with their newest cameras is.......

Wait For It

1080p Video

This argument is a dead horse walking, sorry.

Jay
Crosswind Images (external link)
Facebook Fan Page (external link)

"If you aren't getting extraordinary images from today's dSLRs, regardless of brand, it's not the camera!" - Bill Fortney, Nikon Corp.

Lowner
"I'm the original idiot"
12,924 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Aug 07, 2012 04:02 |  #71

Jay,

So Nikon have stolen a march on Canon every which way with the D800? Canon have gone bye byes for a few years. Its time to wake up now, up you get Canon.

I have not yet given up waiting, because Canon traditionally are always last, but in the past its been all the better for it.

Richard

TooManyHobbies
Goldmember
2,734 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Aug 09, 2012 06:00 |  #72

Barely had time to fool around with mine due to working late this week. But what I want to try out is some macro video with my 100mm or my mp-e 65mm. Searching the net I haven't seen much entertaining video out there from the 1dx yet. A few are out there (model in bikini in slow motion, dark urban scenes, horses, county fair, etc.) but most are test clips. Let's get out there and show what awesome Canon lenses crossed with an incredible video camera can do!

~ Jeff

Canon EOS-1DX & 1Ds MkIII, 20D(IR), G12, G9, G5, ... Gear List
JMM Photography ~ Discovering Art in Everyday Lifeexternal link | Model Mayhem #675060external link

Jahled
Goldmember
1,498 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Aug 09, 2012 06:50 |  #73

Lowner wrote in post #14824704 (external link)

I'm currently working on a television documentary for Animal Planet where one of he camera guys is filming using a 5D2, issued by the production company. The other film maker just bought my 5D2 to use along size his other dedicated film cameras. Times have changed

James
Snow Leopards of Leafy London- The magic begins 5th November 20:00 hours on Animal Planet :) | Gear

Lowner
"I'm the original idiot"
12,924 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Sep 23, 2012 05:19 |  #74

Jahled wrote in post #14834806 (external link)
I'm currently working on a television documentary for Animal Planet where one of he camera guys is filming using a 5D2, issued by the production company. The other film maker just bought my 5D2 to use along size his other dedicated film cameras. Times have changed

The rumours about a 40 something mp (46 MP has been mentioned) Canon are that it will only offer the bare minimum video options. Instead it is said to be high DR, low fps, moderate ISO etc. In other words exactly what I need. Nikon have made Canon look very stupid recently.

Richard

Houston1863
729 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Sep 23, 2012 05:26 |  #75

Jahled wrote in post #14834806 (external link)

That's true and it always will in this and other fields.

Who would have thought of the rumoured 46.1MP 5Dx being presented in an 1D shell?

http://www.canonrumors​.com …ed-at-photoplus-2012-cr1/ (external link)

Canon forged ahead with video believing an opening there and not without justification. I'm not concerned as long as they allocate the necessary resources to looking after the still togs!!!

2x5D3, 16-35L, 24-70L, 70-200/2.8L IS,15 FE, 50L,100L, 2x580EXII, 1x430Exll, Fuji X10, YN-622Cs, Manfrotto Neotec legs, various bits and pieces, my Apples ( 2 living MacBook Pro, 1 dormant PowerBook G4 ), bags and bits of Think Tank stuff
www.picture-u.net (external link)
www.picturing-u.blogspot.com (external link)

sponsored links

27,407 views & 0 likes for this thread
1DX successor (due September)
FORUMS News & Rumors Camera Rumors and Predictions 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.