Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 29 Jul 2012 (Sunday) 17:52
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Sensor cleaning on my 50D?

Twhit.
695 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Jul 29, 2012 17:52 |  #1

I have the dreaded spots on my sensor, I used my blower brush to try to get them off with no luck. Anyone have a quick and easy trick to remove the spots?

Thanks, Troy

Canon 50D and a bag full of stuff!

sponsored links
macroimage
Goldmember
2,169 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Jul 29, 2012 18:23 |  #2

One way is to use the "dust delete" function. See page 149 of the manual.

Photo Gear

number ­ six
"After 40 years still not housebroken, I still piddle on the carpet"
8,944 posts
Joined May 2007

Jul 30, 2012 14:50 as a reply to  @ macroimage's post |  #3

Here's a good introduction to sensor cleaning: http://cleaningdigital​cameras.com/ (external link)

And here's a good tutorial: http://www.copperhilli​mages.com/index.php?pr​=tutorials (external link)

I use the Copperhill kit for wet cleaning, as do lots of other POTNers.

-js

"Be seeing you."
50D - 17-55 f/2.8 IS - 18-55 IS - 28-105 II USM - 60 f/2.8 macro - 70-200 f/4 L - Sigma flash
I do not piddle on the carpet!

Twhit.
THREAD ­ STARTER
695 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Jul 31, 2012 18:01 as a reply to  @ number six's post |  #4

I sent it off to canon to have it cleaned. I am defenitly going to purchase that swab kit.

I noticed on my camera the mirror was clean , the plastic looking cloudy part was what had the dust spots on it just above the mirror? I guess that part is called the sensor?

Paolo.Leviste
934 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Jul 31, 2012 23:52 |  #5

The focusing screen?

The image sensor sits behind the shutter, which sits behind the mirror.

[Canon 5DII/30D | 24-70 f2.8L | Σ 30 f1.4 | Σ 50 f1.4 | 70-200 f4L | 580EX II ]
3.Hundred.6.SIX (external link)
SmugMug (external link)

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Aug 06, 2012 16:29 |  #6

A quick way to check for sensor dust is to take a shot of a clear sky using an aperture of f/11 (or f/16). If you see spots in the image that's sensor dust, otherwise dust you are seeing in your chamber is on something that won't affect your images.

The only way to see physical dust on the sensor is by having the mirror up and the shutter open, which is typically done by using the "Manual Sensor Clean" function. And, since very small particles of dust can show up as ugly spots, people do use various ways of lightening and magnifying their view of the sensor.

And, I'm one who strongly advises that you get wet-cleaning fluid and swabs and learn to use them, carefully but confidently!

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

Twhit.
THREAD ­ STARTER
695 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Aug 06, 2012 18:47 |  #7

tonylong wrote in post #14822475 (external link)
A quick way to check for sensor dust is to take a shot of a clear sky using an aperture of f/11 (or f/16). If you see spots in the image that's sensor dust, otherwise dust you are seeing in your chamber is on something that won't affect your images.

The only way to see physical dust on the sensor is by having the mirror up and the shutter open, which is typically done by using the "Manual Sensor Clean" function. And, since very small particles of dust can show up as ugly spots, people do use various ways of lightening and magnifying their view of the sensor.

And, I'm one who strongly advises that you get wet-cleaning fluid and swabs and learn to use them, carefully but confidently!

I bought the Copper hill stuff. Once I put a few more months of use on my camera I will take a whack at sensor cleaning.

Pearlallica
Goldmember
1,302 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Aug 09, 2012 12:09 |  #8

I use a cheap and very effective method.

Snap photo of wall @ F/10 100ISO adding in a little motion blur so as to not confuse a blemish on the wall with actual sensor dust.

Open camera up with opening facing down. Air spray the surface with a rocket blower.

Take a nikon lens pen brush (some might say it is too abrasive) - and give the brush a few shots of canned air spray (get any potential dust out)

Lightly brush from one end of the sensor to the other. Repeat a second time to make sure you got the whole surface.

Shoot the sensor with a few more sprays of Rocket Air blower.

Take another tethered image to your software and inspect on screen. I find this method works in one attempt whereas other methods have had me repeating over and over again. It really works wonders...

jonathan @ tlcphoto.com (external link) - pro wedding and portrait photog
5d2 5d3 50L 16-35 70-200 ElinchromRX600 580EX 600EX VIV285

watt100
Cream of the Crop
14,021 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Aug 10, 2012 05:05 |  #9

Twhit. wrote in post #14823037 (external link)
I bought the Copper hill stuff. Once I put a few more months of use on my camera I will take a whack at sensor cleaning.

it's easy to clean the sensor, do a search on youtube videos

sponsored links

3,184 views & 0 likes for this thread
Sensor cleaning on my 50D?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.