Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers 
Thread started 09 Aug 2012 (Thursday) 07:33
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

iMac vs. MBP macbook pro

Dj ­ R
Goldmember
2,993 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Aug 2009

Aug 09, 2012 07:33 |  #1

Good morning. I've been using an iMac for post over the past few years. I love it.

I've been considering switching to a new mbp to gain portability. I believe portability would improve my life quite a bit for various reasons. Will the new i7 2.7 be > than the old i3 3.2 with regard to pp speed - clone, blemish removal, etc... that is the only area where I've had any slowness in the past, back when I was running 8gb ram. 5d mark iii files are fairly large. I am only using LR4 at the time, but could switch to more robust software at any time.

I do realize that having a larger monitor is fantastic for post. So moving to a 15" screen is going to take some time to get used to. But I'm willing to sacrifice monitor size for portability. And eventually I could run an external monitor for more serious pp sessions.

I don't build computers or understand the hardware much. So thx for any input.

Current machine:

iMac
2010.5 machine
Intel Core i3
3.2 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 2
Memory: 16 GB
Processor Interconnect Speed: 5.86 GT/s
1 tb

Proposed machine:
2012 Macbook Pro
2.7ghz quad core intel core i7, turbo boost up to 3.7
16gb
768gb

BAG Reviews, master list!
Canon shooter

sponsored links
MCAsan
Goldmember
3,865 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Aug 09, 2012 08:13 |  #2

just got my 2.7/16/768 Monday night. This will replace a i72600K Hack on the desktop. The post processing enviroment is LR with Elements and the Nik Software suite for LR. I have moved all my licenses to the MBP and am transferring my 900GB LR library from drives inside the Hack to LaCie 2Big thunderbolt drives that will run as 3TB RAID 1 mirror set. Backup is to a 3TB Time Capsule. I will also keep music, movies, and documents on the RAID set. The large remaining room on the SSD is for capturing photos during field trips. My last 2 week trip I had over 400GB of files.

This is my second Apple computer. The first was one of the original Macs in 1984. Apple is not inexpensive. But is "good kit". Besure to look for tax free weekends on computer purchases, and any applicable education or business discounts. I got mine via MacMall with 3% off, no tax, no shipping.

After seeing mine, the wife gave me the thunbs up to order an identical machine for her. It will be here next week. Remember, if mama ain't happy....;)

Dj ­ R
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,993 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Aug 09, 2012 08:27 |  #3

looks like a pretty serious setup. congrats.
have you done any extensive post yet?

Canon shooter

MCAsan
Goldmember
3,865 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Aug 09, 2012 09:42 |  #4

nope, I have around a hour of downloading of photos left....then I do migration wizard to move over email, contact lists,...etc. I should be finished migrating today.

MaxxuM
Goldmember
3,361 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined May 2007

Aug 09, 2012 16:59 |  #5

The only reason to go with a MBP is portability. If portability isn't your #1 concern then you probably don't need one. I use my MBP for on location shoots, work (IT) and because I love being able to edit on location. I also do video work and my MBP gives me the ability to scrub on a 15" screen on location. However, I still use a Mac Pro and a pretty hefty PC along with three IPS screens at home. So, a laptop just rounded out my setup.

Dj ­ R
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,993 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Aug 09, 2012 18:43 |  #6

With the specs of the two machines mentioned, will there be a noticeable difference, performance speed for PP of images. I don't do any video work. Thx

Canon shooter

Dj ­ R
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,993 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Aug 09, 2012 20:00 |  #7

resources I'm finding to be informative

http://www.macperforma​nceguide.com …kPro-Retina-compared.html (external link)

Canon shooter

MCAsan
Goldmember
3,865 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Aug 10, 2012 08:06 |  #8

For us the rMBPs are our new desktops. They have enough horsepower to do PP work and have plenty of SSD storage to collect files in the field. I just moved my LR library of 40,000+ images from old backup to my new storage, LaCie Thunderbolt 2Big running as 3TB RAID 1. It copied all the library plus all my Itunes library (over 400 CDs) in just over an hour. Have not told the rMBP to use Time Capsule as backup and started by first backup of the new system. So far, so good.

BTW, If you plan to have multiple devices (iPad, iPhone, Mac) reading you email, consider changing your email protocol to IMAP...if you are currently doing POP3. Because my Hack was doing IMAP, when I set up the email account in the RMBP and logged in, all my email folders were imported into the RMBP from the mail server. We using email from our web hosts so we can easily change email protocols on the clients. Also I removed any email account storage limits on the web server.

rick_reno
Cream of the Crop
44,642 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Aug 10, 2012 19:06 |  #9

we got that same Macbook Pro you're considering about a month ago, I still use my IMac.

Dj ­ R
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,993 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Aug 10, 2012 19:15 |  #10

rick_reno wrote in post #14841985 (external link)
we got that same Macbook Pro you're considering about a month ago, I still use my IMac.

Lol! That bad eh?

Canon shooter

Dj ­ R
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,993 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Aug 11, 2012 10:50 |  #11

Update. I was all set to get a rMBP, but decided against it.

15" 2.7ghz, 16gb memory, quadcore i7 (new 2012)
or
17" 2.5ghz, 16gb memory, quadcore i7 (new unit, but from 2011/early 2012)

will the new (can't get 17", but it's 2.7) model be noticeably faster?

Either way, I've decided to get the anti-glare hd screen.

When I saw the 17", it got me thinking, perhaps I should go with the largest mbp I can get. I'm used to editting on a 21.5" iMac. Put I'm not happy to be tied to my desk. I would prefer to be on the sofa or bed at times, so portability is obviously my goal here. I could eventually run an external display. ***, I discovered that the 21.5" iMac can't be used as a monitor, this is horrible news. So I guess I will sell the iMac and purchase something else for a display to be used in very serious edit sessions. I will not be using the mbp in the field.

Photoshop Lightroom GPU accelerated or processor?

I am not using photoshop, I use Lightroom4. I may try Elements.
RAW 22mp files from Canon 5Dmark3

Canon shooter

Dj ­ R
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,993 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Aug 11, 2012 12:12 as a reply to  @ Dj R's post |  #12

for ref
Geekbench
my imac 5854/6618*
mbp 15" as mentioned above
12367/13477*
mpb 17" as mentioned above
10706/11699*

http://www.everymac.co​m …n-chart/?compare=all-macs (external link)

Canon shooter

MCAsan
Goldmember
3,865 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Aug 11, 2012 16:40 |  #13

My rMBP's Geekbench score was 12308 on 32-bit test. :cool:

sponsored links

3,089 views & 0 likes for this thread
iMac vs. MBP macbook pro
FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.