Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
Thread started 05 Aug 2012 (Sunday) 09:24
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

I have an event coming up in a week in the following venue...

5W0L3
998 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Aug 05, 2012 09:24 |  #1

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: 400 | MIME changed to 'text/html'

Would you guys shoot here with a custom grey card white balance or auto white balance on your camera as the lighting looks pretty rough.

I'l be using 2 off camera flashes.. and two on camera flashes (all of them being 600ex-rt). Camera bodies will be 5D III.

Manav
5D III x 2 (gripped) | 35L | 85L II | 100L | 24-70mm IIL | 70-200mm IIL | Some strobes & some speedlights.
Flickr (external link)

sponsored links
beegeeboy
304 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Aug 05, 2012 17:18 |  #2

I'm assuming you'll be using your four flashes to overpower ambient anyway? So you'll only need to set w/b to flash?

David

Gear: A box with a hole; some tubes with glass in 'em
SmugMug (external link)

cpam.pix
Goldmember
1,275 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Aug 05, 2012 18:45 |  #3

It looks like the same problem I have when shooting theatre productions. I can't use flash. The color temperature changes in every scene. I don't have the perfect solution...yet.

I've not used a white balance disc because the lights change so often. I'd be shooting about 25% of the time into the disc.

For now, I usually shoot in incandescent mode and fix in post. Sometimes I keep it on AWB and fix it in post. Either way, you can see the theme...prepare to fix it in post-processing.

Good luck and I'm looking forward to seeing your results and finding out how you attacked the problem at the venue and through post-processing.

1D-III with stuff to stick on it:
70-200L, 28-70L, 24-105L, 300L, 50, 10-17 fish, 2.0x TC
Image editing OK, encouraged, and expected. Thank you for helping me learn!

nicksan
Man I Like to Fart
24,738 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Aug 05, 2012 21:04 |  #4

Do you want to keep some of that ambient lighting? If not, then over power it and don't worry too much about WB. I usually leave mine in AWB at receptions.

jcolman
Goldmember
2,663 posts
Gallery: 17 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Mar 2008

Aug 06, 2012 19:01 |  #5

I would keep my off camera lights on very low power. Gel them with CTO and set my cameras to 3400 K. The ambient light is very pretty and I would not want to over power it.

www.jimcolmanphotograp​hy.com (external link)

rincon
240 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Aug 07, 2012 10:55 |  #6

In a venue like this, we would use a mixture of camera lighting (overpower the ambient) and no flash at all. We choose which photos we want properly balanced and use the flash. We would also use a lot of ambient here without significant white balace adjustments to properly portray the atmosphere of the event/venue.

Jerph
30 posts
Joined Jul 2012

Aug 10, 2012 10:21 |  #7

I'd want to get enough flash on people's faces to get nice photos, but slow your shutter just enough to pick up some color.

What WB were you using for that photo? It looks alright for ambient.

brokensocial
481 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Aug 10, 2012 13:53 |  #8

We use AWB pretty much all the time. In that situation, I'd try natural until I found myself underexposing at 6400, and then I'd consider flash. Brenda would have the flash out from the get go, I imagine.

[mike and frida] photography - we shoot stuff.
chicago wedding photography (external link) | chicago wedding photography blog (external link)

Christopher ­ Steven ­ b
Goldmember
3,547 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Aug 10, 2012 16:02 |  #9

^ You say that you would try shooting ambient. but if you shoot purely ambient then isn't it possible (likely) that the color of light filling the room will be the color of light landing on your subject's face ? If that is the case then when you go to correct so that the face isn't, say, fluorescent magenta (!), won't you be almost completely sucking the color out of the background as well ? This obviously isn't true if there are different colored lights in different portions of the room--and that may well be the case here. I've just always found that when I wanted to preserve the color aspect of the atmosphere of the room the way to do it was to (under)expose for that background (dropping it a stop or so to get richer colors) and then to add flash to expose the subject in front of me.

christopher steven b. - Ottawa Wedding Photographer

www.christopherstevenb​.com (external link)| Blog (external link)

sponsored links

1,831 views & 0 likes for this thread
I have an event coming up in a week in the following venue...
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.