Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 07 Jun 2011 (Tuesday) 09:52
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Android Tablet section

Shutterwolf
523 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Jul 11, 2012 12:45 |  #256
bannedPermanent ban

spotz04 wrote in post #14696566 (external link)
Yesterday I purchased "DSLR Controller" (DSLRC) app for my Toshiba Thrive (TT) 10". I have to say that's a pretty slick app and I'm looking forward to future enhancements by the developers.

My intended purpose in using app and TT was to shoot night skies with hopes of zooming in on stars at 5x or 10x as to gain crisper focused shots while having the larger screen size, compared to the camera's small LCD screen.

My first test - camera pointing towards the night sky using ISO's between 1600 and 3200, and exposures at 20 sec, I noticed on the 7D that when you tap the 5x or 10x live view zoom in the DSLRC app it really enhances the noise. It reminded me of how snow looks on a TV set -- many multicolored dots dancing on the screen where it was almost unusable for night sky photog. The 5D2 showed much less dancing noise so it actually was easier to manually focus on stars at 5x or 10x using DSLRC. The clouds started to move in and the mosquitoes got worse (forgot bug spray) so my test session got cut short rather quick.

I'll be doing more testing this week once I have a clear sky again as to see if there's a solution to seeing better on the TT with this app as to assist me in focusing better using the 7D w/10-22. If anyone already knows of a solution (camera setting) for reducing dancing noise on the tab I'm all ears! :D

To quickly mention - DSLRC normally works fine on my T1i, 7D and 5D2 while recognizing these bodies. Connection to the Tab w/app use the included USB cable that comes with Canon bodies so that was a plus.

The TT might not be the lightest tab in the current lineup available but being able to sit in a lawn chair with tab on my lap and camera pointing at night sky atop a tripod is pretty comfy.:lol:

Yeah, I haven't played with this app much yet. Where I live, there really isn't anywhere good to take photos. I am currently using the Acer Iconia a500, but I'm wanting to try out an ASUS Transformer as well and see which I like better. I do love sitting in a chair controlling my camera up on a tri pod though :D The only real test I've done with this program was during the day, trying to take some long exposure shots of water, but I didn't have a dark enough ND filter lol.

Josh
https://www.facebook.c​om/ShutterwolfPhotogra​phy (external link)
60D, 550EX, Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 Mark II, Canon 28-135mm IS, 18-55(old), Rebel Xti/400D (for sale)

sponsored links
GarethLeigh
157 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Jul 13, 2012 09:47 |  #257

Has anyone ever tried hooking one of these on to their tripod to hold their tablet? Arkon Heavy-Duty Aluminum C-Clamp Universal Tablet Mount (external link)

Trinidad & Tobago Wedding & Portrait Photographer (external link) follow me on Facebook (external link) and Twitter (external link).

s2kdriver80
420 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Jul 13, 2012 14:11 as a reply to  @ GarethLeigh's post |  #258

I have the unlocked international Samsung Galaxy Tab 7.7 (GT-P6800), not the US Verizon version. I haven't really used it in a photographic capacity, but I imagine it would be useful in that fashion, especially if you value portability as it's one of the slimmest. One thing though is that out of the box the colors are vivid, but can be somewhat toned down through mode settings.

www.samsung.com/global​/microsite/galaxytab/7​.7/index.html (external link)

-Paul
Canon EOS 5D Mark III x2 | Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM | Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II USM | Canon EF 70-200 f/4L IS II USM | Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM | Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM | Canon Speedlite 430EX II x2 | Canon Speedlite 430EX III-RT x2

GarethLeigh
157 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Jul 14, 2012 13:00 |  #259

Is there a good app that I can use for client proofing? Something with and on screen staring system perhaps?

Trinidad & Tobago Wedding & Portrait Photographer (external link) follow me on Facebook (external link) and Twitter (external link).

Paulos75
541 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Jul 14, 2012 16:53 |  #260

GarethLeigh wrote in post #14715935 (external link)
Is there a good app that I can use for client proofing? Something with and on screen staring system perhaps?

Photo Mate is the best one that I've found.
There are a couple of others that you can rate photos, some are betas, in general none of them really work that well.

Cheers, Paul.
If it moves, shoot it. If it shoots back, get a bigger lens.
Gear: A slowly but surely growing list of mainly Canon bits and pieces.
Flickr (external link)
Website (external link)Facebook (external link)

lannes
Goldmember
4,370 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Jul 14, 2012 17:27 |  #261

Paulos75 wrote in post #14716664 (external link)
Photo Mate is the best one that I've found.
There are a couple of others that you can rate photos, some are betas, in general none of them really work that well.

+1 photomate on android can actually edit raw images

1Dx, 1DM4, 5DM2, 7D, EOS-M, 8-15L, 17-40L, 24 TSE II, 24-105L, 50L, 85L II, 100L, 135L, 200L f/2.8, 300L f/4, 70-200L II, 70-300L, 400Lf/5.6

GarethLeigh
157 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Jul 15, 2012 10:04 |  #262

Thanks I will check that app out.

spotz04
Goldmember
1,971 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Mar 2010

Aug 06, 2012 19:53 as a reply to  @ GarethLeigh's post |  #263

From their facebook page tonight --

Toshiba USA
ICS UPDATE: We are happy to announce that Android 4.0, Ice Cream Sandwich for Thrive 10" tablets is now available as an over-the-air update. We want to thank all of our customers for their patience while we worked to ensure we could deliver the best possible user experience.

We encourage you to install this update via the Service Station app on your tablet in order to take advantage of the enhanced user interface, better multitasking, increased performance, improved email and calendar, and more.

Shutterwolf
523 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Aug 07, 2012 06:29 |  #264
bannedPermanent ban

Considering trying to trade my Acer Iconia a500 for a ASUS Transformer and dock... I love the usb port on the side of the tablet itself, but I think I would find a keyboard dock more useful.

Anyone have any advice on this, or maybe a transformer they are willing to trade? lol

Josh
60D, 550EX, Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 Mark II, Canon 28-135mm IS, 18-55(old), Rebel Xti/400D (for sale)

Perfect_10
Goldmember
1,998 posts
Joined Aug 2004

Aug 07, 2012 12:23 |  #265

Shutterwolf wrote in post #14824973 (external link)
Considering trying to trade my Acer Iconia a500 for a ASUS Transformer and dock... I love the usb port on the side of the tablet itself, but I think I would find a keyboard dock more useful.

Anyone have any advice on this, or maybe a transformer they are willing to trade? lol

I prefer my A500 with one of these Logitech wireless keyboard & touchpad (external link) devices

My Gear List  :p

Shutterwolf
523 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Aug 07, 2012 13:41 |  #266
bannedPermanent ban

Perfect_10 wrote in post #14826184 (external link)
I prefer my A500 with one of these Logitech wireless keyboard & touchpad (external link) devices

Problem with that though, its less portable and it uses up the usb port so you cant connect the camera at the same time. Unless you use a usb hub which just adds to the stuff you gotta carry around.

The ASUS with keyboard has an SD card slot that I can just pop my cameras card into, and the usb port for whatever I want, plus it almost doubles the battery life. If its anything like the A500, I can use it to charge my phone as well if I ever need to. Plus it eliminates the need for a $50 case to use as a stand. (yes I know there are cheaper ones, but they either arent as good, or dont look that good)

Josh

RetroBlader
863 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Aug 08, 2012 21:53 |  #267

Shutterwolf wrote in post #14826559 (external link)
The ASUS with keyboard has an SD card slot that I can just pop my cameras card into, and the usb port for whatever I want, plus it almost doubles the battery life.

The SD slot is handy for downloading photos from my S95 and OM-D E-M5 (plus various cameras of family/friends).

I have the original Asus Transformer (i.e. not the Prime), and the SD slot reads SDHC just fine -- haven't tried SDXC yet.

However, for my 7D (uses CF), I connect a card reader to one USB while connecting a WD 1TB portable harddrive to the other USB (yes, it has 2 USB ports) at the same time. Downloading/backing up photos doesn't get any easier.

If its anything like the A500, I can use it to charge my phone as well if I ever need to.

I haven't found the need to use the Transformer to charge other devices, but when I tried it just now, the charging symbol did light up on my iPhone. Not sure about the charging speed though -- presumably the same as any 5V USB port.

Plus it eliminates the need for a $50 case to use as a stand. (yes I know there are cheaper ones, but they either arent as good, or dont look that good)

Aesthetics has never been a major deciding factor in my electronic purchases (I use a Lenovo laptop which should tell you something), so my fashion sense is probably impaired. :lol:

However, from a practical standpoint, the clam-shell design of the Asus Transformer + Keyboard dock combo is simply great. No need to buy any sleeve/case for it, and the screen remains as perfect today as the day I bought it.

Also, the stand feature is a godsend. I can lie in bed and read/reply on forums for hours without having a sore arm/wrist, and no blade-like indentation on my chest. :D

:cool:

Above water: 7D | 400D | 10-22 | 17-55IS | 15-85IS | 85/1.8 | 100L IS | 70-200/4L IS | 70-300IS | 100-400L | 580EX II
Underwater: S95 + WP-DC38 + dual dive lights | Olympus OM-D E-M5 (await housing)
Full Gear List
Need/Want: More time for photography (And some talent would be nice.... :lol:)

Indecent ­ Exposure
Goldmember
3,402 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Aug 09, 2012 16:09 |  #268

RetroBlader wrote in post #14833403 (external link)
...However, from a practical standpoint, the clam-shell design of the Asus Transformer + Keyboard dock combo is simply great. No need to buy any sleeve/case for it, and the screen remains as perfect today as the day I bought it...

Agree. The dock is all the case you really need and it's very functional, too. But because the aluminum picks up scratches and scuffs easily I wrapped the entire thing, tablet and dock, in Skinomi's custom nylon protector wrap. Covers 99% of the device while adding no significant weight or size. Got it from Amazon.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

- James -
www.feedthewant.com (external link)
500px (external link)
Gear List and Feedback

Shutterwolf
523 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Aug 10, 2012 14:05 |  #269
bannedPermanent ban

RetroBlader wrote in post #14833403 (external link)
The SD slot is handy for downloading photos from my S95 and OM-D E-M5 (plus various cameras of family/friends).

I have the original Asus Transformer (i.e. not the Prime), and the SD slot reads SDHC just fine -- haven't tried SDXC yet.

However, for my 7D (uses CF), I connect a card reader to one USB while connecting a WD 1TB portable harddrive to the other USB (yes, it has 2 USB ports) at the same time. Downloading/backing up photos doesn't get any easier.

I haven't found the need to use the Transformer to charge other devices, but when I tried it just now, the charging symbol did light up on my iPhone. Not sure about the charging speed though -- presumably the same as any 5V USB port.

Aesthetics has never been a major deciding factor in my electronic purchases (I use a Lenovo laptop which should tell you something), so my fashion sense is probably impaired. :lol:

However, from a practical standpoint, the clam-shell design of the Asus Transformer + Keyboard dock combo is simply great. No need to buy any sleeve/case for it, and the screen remains as perfect today as the day I bought it.

Also, the stand feature is a godsend. I can lie in bed and read/reply on forums for hours without having a sore arm/wrist, and no blade-like indentation on my chest. :D

:cool:

Wow, thanks for all the info! I didn't know it had 2 USB ports though... Definitely want that over the newer version that only has 1 USB port.

Indecent Exposure wrote in post #14836894 (external link)
Agree. The dock is all the case you really need and it's very functional, too. But because the aluminum picks up scratches and scuffs easily I wrapped the entire thing, tablet and dock, in Skinomi's custom nylon protector wrap. Covers 99% of the device while adding no significant weight or size. Got it from Amazon.

Right on, that thing looks pretty sweet too. Love that blue color. You wouldn't want to trade it for a Acer Iconia a500 would you? Haha... I can always dream :P I wouldn't be able to put a skin or wrap on to save my life. Would never come out looking good. I cant even do my own screen protector on my phone lol.

Josh

willieco
Hatchling
1 post
Joined Jul 2008

Aug 14, 2012 23:42 |  #270

I am using dslr controller with my 60d and transformer tf101. Works very well. But I saw the new tf700.. wow! Great resolution, fast processing. I want it!
Wondering about the best mount to attach to my tripod...suggestions?

sponsored links

88,209 views & 0 likes for this thread
Android Tablet section
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.