Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
Thread started 10 Aug 2012 (Friday) 17:39
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Sold lens, buyer complaining. What to do?

this thread is locked
stevenkelby
52 posts
Joined Jun 2012

Aug 11, 2012 00:06 |  #76

KirkS518 wrote in post #14842973 (external link)
We were typing our letters at the same time. :)

No need to go into any details as to why, simply put, it's an as-is where-is sale. If the buyer doesn't understand that, and really believes that he is entitled to a refund, then he is clueless.

Yeah but yours is better :)

If I was OP, I would just email that unless anyone else can think of a reason not to, other than " you don't have to" which I think is a weak reason to do anything...

Surely sending that can't open you to litigation or anything?

G11 and G12 plus many accessories.
My guide to CHDK

sponsored links
KirkS518
Goldmember
3,983 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Aug 11, 2012 00:09 as a reply to  @ stevenkelby's post |  #77

Let the buyer start litigation. In this situation the buyer has about zero chance of victory.

I can almost guarantee that if the seller doesn't back down, the buyer will go awy very quickly.

If steroids are illegal for athletes, should PS be illegal for models?
Digital - 50D, 20D IR Conv, 9 Lenses from 8mm to 300mm
Analog - Mamiya RB67 Pro-SD, Canon A-1, Nikon F4S, YashicaMat 124G, Rollei 35S, QL17 GIII, Zeiss Ikon Ikoflex 1st Version, and and entire room full of lenses and other stuff

Maureen ­ Souza
Ms. MODERATOR     Something Spectacular!
33,810 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Feb 2005

Aug 11, 2012 00:11 |  #78

The guy is scamming you because Canon does not diagnose problems over the phone. It usually takes a couple of days after they receive the item to send you their diagnosis plus the cost of repairs if you choose to fix it. Don't respond to him (or to MDJak ;)) & stop worrying so much. The deal is closed.

Life is hard...but I just take it one photograph at a time.

5DMK4
7DMK2
Canon Lenses: 50/1.4, 135/2.0, 100-400mm II, 24-70/2.8 II

1Tanker
Goldmember
4,470 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Aug 11, 2012 00:15 |  #79

stevenkelby wrote in post #14842990 (external link)
Yeah but yours is better :)

If I was OP, I would just email that unless anyone else can think of a reason not to, other than " you don't have to" which I think is a weak reason to do anything...

Surely sending that can't open you to litigation or anything?

I agree with you, in that i really don't like being rude to anyone, and believe in treating people how you would want to be treated. That said, there are times (deemed appropriate.. by me), where i feel it's the best/safest/most prudent course of action... or inaction in this case.

We can all type what we would do here, but inevitably, it'll come down to how the OP's conscience acts ( and i'm not saying that either choice is right or wrong).

The sad truth is that nowadays..NOBODY can be trusted, and lawyers can find ways to do just about anything.. and this pretty-much applies no matter what country you live in. :mad:

Kel
Gear

KirkS518
Goldmember
3,983 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Aug 11, 2012 00:25 |  #80

1Tanker wrote in post #14843027 (external link)
I agree with you, in that i really don't like being rude to anyone, and believe in treating people how you would want to be treated. That said, there are times (deemed appropriate.. by me), where i feel it's the best/safest/most prudent course of action... or inaction in this case.

We can all type what we would do here, but inevitably, it'll come down to how the OP's conscience acts ( and i'm not saying that either choice is right or wrong).

The sad truth is that nowadays..NOBODY can be trusted, and lawyers can find ways to do just about anything.. and this pretty-much applies no matter what country you live in. :mad:

There isn't a lawyer in the country that would take this from the buyer's side. The seller would be able to get an attorney to write a C&D letter, but after that not much. There is no money in this to make it worth an attorney's time.

If steroids are illegal for athletes, should PS be illegal for models?
Digital - 50D, 20D IR Conv, 9 Lenses from 8mm to 300mm
Analog - Mamiya RB67 Pro-SD, Canon A-1, Nikon F4S, YashicaMat 124G, Rollei 35S, QL17 GIII, Zeiss Ikon Ikoflex 1st Version, and and entire room full of lenses and other stuff

TSchrief
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,099 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Aug 11, 2012 00:51 |  #81
bannedPermanent ban

OP, once again. Thanks for all the replies. I have been given a lot to think about. And I can think of lots of reasons not to reply. Yes, it is rude to not reply. But, if the reply consists of a very polite request to KMA, what have I done? Been rude? Maybe. Pissed him off? Almost certainly. Let him know that I will reply to his silliness? Yes. Opened myself up to more unwanted communication? Most definitely. I don't see anything to gain by replying.

About a month ago, I left my car unlocked while shooting (with a camera!) some wildlife at a local park. While I was busy, someone rifled my car. Nothing stolen; nothing worth stealing. But I felt personally violated. Just like I do with this guys veiled request for money.

I am not going to reply at all. If I get more than one more e-mail about it, I'll deal with it then. Peacefully, I promise.

Gear List

sebr
Goldmember
4,628 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Aug 11, 2012 01:11 |  #82

Move on and don't look back :cool:

Sebastien
5D mkIII ; 17-40L ; 24-105L ; 70-200L II ; 70-300L ; 35L ; Σ85/1.4 ; 135L ; 100macro ; Kenko 1.4x ; 2x mkIII ; 580EXII
M5 ; M1 ; 11-22 ; 18-150 ; 22/2.0 ; EF adapter; Manfrotto LED
Benron Tripod; ThinkTank, Lowepro and Crumpler bags; Fjällräven backpack

JeremyKPhoto
Goldmember
1,633 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Aug 11, 2012 01:39 |  #83

Craigslist is an as-is sale. He tested it an approved and finished the transaction. Ownership was transferred and you have no more obligation to anything. He has ZERO legal recourse and is not entitled to anything more from you.

You can either A: ignore his silly request or B: Reply saying "I'm sorry, it was an as-is sale and at the time of the sale the lens was in proper working condition. If anything has happened from the time you purchased the lens then your best bet is to send it in for repair".

5D Mark III / 70-200 2.8L IS II / 24-105L / 50 1.8 stm / Tamron 70-300 VC / Sigma 85mm 1.4 Art

tunin
Goldmember
1,187 posts
Joined May 2007

Aug 11, 2012 04:36 |  #84

Tell him to shove it up his you all know what. He is trying to pull a fast one one you.

I am not young enough to know everything. O.W.
www.medjugorje.net (external link)
*** Amateur tools ***

mikeinctown
Goldmember
2,119 posts
Joined May 2012

Aug 11, 2012 05:38 |  #85

This guy didn't just get married and practices as an attorney in a real estate company??? LOL

Skul
92 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Aug 11, 2012 06:24 |  #86

Sounds like a case of buyers remorse. Guy is hoping you will offer a refund.
If he doesn't get that, he wants you to foot all or part of a supposed repair.
You may or may not hear from him again. Don't bother responding.
Do not under any circumstance attempt to negotiate a resolution.
Hope you kept the serial number and all e-mails. (just to be safe)

stevenkelby
52 posts
Joined Jun 2012

Aug 11, 2012 06:45 |  #87

TSchrief wrote in post #14843135 (external link)
I am not going to reply at all. If I get more than one more e-mail about it, I'll deal with it then. Peacefully, I promise.

Fair enough, your call of course :)

I guess you\ve thought about what you have to lose by replying or not, and what you have to gain by replying or not.

I don't agree with not replying, but I do agree with you deciding for yourself to do what will be best for you :)

Don't let it bother you either way, ultimately, it's no big deal.

G11 and G12 plus many accessories.
My guide to CHDK

Allez
59 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Aug 11, 2012 07:07 |  #88

+1 on not replying. And save that first e-mail back where he states the lens is 'great'.

NBEast
Goldmember
1,699 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Aug 2005

Aug 11, 2012 08:12 |  #89

Laramie wrote in post #14842302 (external link)
OP:

Something seems fishy on buyer's end. Am I understanding you correctly that you sold it to hom yesterday, then he confirmed sometime 12 hours after purchase that lens worked fine.

And now today, buyer is claiming lens is "faulty" and he has already contacted Canon and they have already diagnosed problem? That surely doesn't add up and makes me think he's got some nefarious intentions so to speak.

I think you said it best and you know in your heart what to do, don't open the door by communicating.

What seems fishy to me is that the OP wasn't told what's wrong. Canon would have been specific. They buyer should have said:

"It's at Canon. Here's the work-order number and serial number (perhaps even scanning the repair order). Call them yourself."

Gear List / Photos (external link)

NBEast
Goldmember
1,699 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Aug 2005

Aug 11, 2012 08:26 |  #90

TSchrief wrote in post #14843135 (external link)
OP, once again. Thanks for all the replies. I have been given a lot to think about. And I can think of lots of reasons not to reply. Yes, it is rude to not reply. But, if the reply consists of a very polite request to KMA, what have I done? Been rude? Maybe. Pissed him off? Almost certainly. Let him know that I will reply to his silliness? Yes. Opened myself up to more unwanted communication? Most definitely. I don't see anything to gain by replying.

About a month ago, I left my car unlocked while shooting (with a camera!) some wildlife at a local park. While I was busy, someone rifled my car. Nothing stolen; nothing worth stealing. But I felt personally violated. Just like I do with this guys veiled request for money.

I sense that you're like me; compulsive about having resolution and the last word. Not responding is probably killing you (it would for me). It leaves it open to the other guy's imagination if he's actually on the up-n-up.

If it were a set-up (such as just looking for a loaner) he never would have said "it's great".

So either;

1. he has buyer's remorse,
  2. his expectations of the lens are too high,
  3. his camera has issues with this lens,
  4. he damaged it,
  5. or there actually was some hidden fault and he's just not the most diligent buyer on the planet and has unreasonable naive expectations about buying from a private party in an as-is sales on Craigslist.
If it were me, I would reply with about 1 or 2 sentences intended to put it to bed. However; that's only because I'm compulsive about returning communications and I've had bad experiences with imagination when people simply stop communicating with me and leave me to wonder. Anyone with any sense would say that's a bad idea LOL.

Gear List / Photos (external link)

sponsored links

10,895 views & 0 likes for this thread
Sold lens, buyer complaining. What to do?
FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.