Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 11 Aug 2012 (Saturday) 06:32
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

10D for <$80?

MARK1992
767 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Aug 11, 2012 06:32 |  #1

Hi guys,

I've got a friend who's got an unused EOS 10D. I'm able to grab it for about $80 US. Just throwing the question out as to whether I should grab it or not.

At the moment I have a 7D, 10-22, and a 70-200 f/2.8L IS USM.

Why I should:
+ I've always wanted a cheap camera which I needn't worry about, needn't baby it. I'm not saying my 7D's absolutely mint, but it does pain my heart every time it gets a new ding. As a result, I seem to only take my 7D out when I'm planning to shoot, and hence, quite often, I miss fantastic photo opportunities.

+ It's cheap. I could grab a okay-ish lens and still have it for less than a S100, perhaps even a S95. And I figure, even with a mediocre lens, I probably couldn't get worse performance than a S100.

Why I shouldn't:
- It does not support EF-S. Which means going wide will be a problem. I could mod the 10-22 so that's not really a problem.

- It's pretty darn old. I'm not sure if I could get used to such an old interface and relatively poorer performance after being with the 7D for about, 2 years?

- Re my previous comparison against the S-series, it's a heck of a lot larger than that. Not really a problem, since I do typically bring a bag along. But sometimes it'll be nice to just slip a candybar in my pocket.

So guys, please keep your thoughts and opinions flowing! :)

sponsored links
mjww
674 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Aug 11, 2012 07:00 |  #2

Go for it. As long as it is working, you can resell it later on if it did not work out as you desired.

Equipment list - According to the wife - "how many more lenses do you need? Yet another camera?"  ???

johneo
Goldmember
1,428 posts
Joined Aug 2003

Aug 11, 2012 07:10 |  #3

Even with all my other bodies, I still use my 10D often. It is usually sitting somewhere around the house, ready to shoot whateve is going on (other bodies packed in the camera bags ready to go out with me)

Having a 7D, you'll likely think the 10D is lower quality but for it's time (and that low price you mention) it's a great camera. You can get a few EF lenses and they will fit both the 10D and 7D (looks like you could use more lenses anyway :) )

I like my 10D and have never thought of selling it (5D going up for sale shortly ... if my son doesn't want it) and as I said, still use it all the time. Also, if you have any interest in IR, it'san inexpensive camera to convert. My 2nd 10D is converted to B&W Infrared and it takes great IR photos!

IMHO ... 10D is a great, inexpensive 2nd camera should you have a need for one!

2 - 5DMKII's, Powershot SX 150 IS
7D, 5D, IR/5D, 10D, IR/10D, Elan 7NE
17-40 L, 24-70 L, 70-200 f/2.8 L IS, 100-400 L IS,
TS-E 24 f/3.5 L, 28-135 IS (x2), 50 f/1.8, 85 f/1.8 550EX, 430EX
40mm pancake

Sweet_Bee
98 posts
Joined Jul 2012

Aug 11, 2012 11:38 |  #4

Get it. Or buy it and i will buy it from you for that price :).

Sweet Bee
Canon 7D ¦ Yashica 50mm 1:2 ¦ Yashica 75-150mm ¦ Canon SD1000

Colorblinded
Goldmember
2,660 posts
Gallery: 17 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Jul 2007

Aug 11, 2012 11:44 |  #5

Hard to go wrong for $80. Lots of nice lenses you could pair with that.

http://www.colorblinde​dphoto.com (external link)
http://www.thecolorbli​ndphotographer.com (external link)

Motor ­ On
941 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Aug 11, 2012 12:06 |  #6

I still bust out the 10D from time to time, as long as you're not looking to crop or do huge prints (though in it's day it held it's fair share of high school and college newspaper covers) it's an excellent piece of kit. Sure there's not as many AF points or as high a burst rate, but that doesn't mean that with a little skill you won't be able to get the shot; and if you're more likely to carry it with you then you'll develop that skill and shooting the 7D will be a luxury ride. (And go to youtube and take a look at the DigitalRevTV clip on just how tough the 7D is) Plus this will give you the chance to move away from the EF-S lenses, which will make future lenses better investments should you want to go full frame. Better cost than most point and shoots and gives you skills, lenses and accessories that can transfer over, as long as it's got 10-20k shutter clicks left on it I'd say you're in good shape. If it's got a dirty sensor, depending on the age of the 10D, you may need to be really gentle with the sensor. And if it fails, then you've got something to send in for the CLP if you want to pick up a 2nd body in a rebel, xxD or xD series.

Website (external link) | Facebook (external link) | Instagram (external link)

MARK1992
THREAD ­ STARTER
767 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Aug 11, 2012 13:38 |  #7

Alright guys, got it for USD65!

Should be getting it next week. :)

Hope to have as much fun as you guys with your 10Ds.

Can't wait! :D

BigAl007
Cream of the Crop
8,009 posts
Gallery: 542 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2010

Aug 11, 2012 18:13 |  #8

I still use a 300D that has the same sensor. One other thing to remember with these old cameras is that they give much better results now using the latest software than they ever did when they were new. This is especially true when shooting RAW. Using LR 4 with these old cameras is almost like having a body upgrade. So I'm sure that you will have a great time with your new toy.

Alan

My Flickr (external link)
My new Aviation images blog site (external link)

sponsored links

1,598 views & 0 likes for this thread
10D for <$80?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.