Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
Thread started 11 Aug 2012 (Saturday) 11:28
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

lens choice for wedding?

pattrick70
27 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Aug 11, 2012 11:28 |  #1

I am renting a 5d mark3 for my sisters wedding. it is outdoors and about 60 people. she has a pro for her formal pictures but thats it. so I am taking pictures mostly for myself but hoping to get some good shots for her. I am also going to rent a flash and trying to get away with just renting one lens if possible, but will do 2 if neccesary. was thinking 24-70l and 70-200 2.8. I own a 50 1.4 aslo. never have shot on a full frame so not sure what to use. can i get away with my 50 for wide and rent a 70-200 or is the 50 not going to be wide enough? or should i just get the 24-70.?

6D, 135L

sponsored links
brokensocial
481 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Aug 11, 2012 12:44 |  #2

My advice? Don't rent that camera. Let the pro do his or her job. The single most annoying part of *every* wedding we've shot has been the Uncle Bob / Aunt Bobette who's shown up with the big DSLR and long lenses trying to get "personal" or "portfolio" shots. You'll be the jerk of the wedding from the photographer's perspective, guaranteed. If you're going to bring a camera, bring a point and shoot or a cameraphone and nothing else.

[mike and frida] photography - we shoot stuff.
chicago wedding photography (external link) | chicago wedding photography blog (external link)

pattrick70
THREAD ­ STARTER
27 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Aug 11, 2012 13:32 as a reply to  @ brokensocial's post |  #3

thats the thing. there is no photographer. just someone doing there picture that morning. they wont be at ceremony or reception

6D, 135L

snakeman55
Goldmember
1,223 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Aug 11, 2012 15:05 |  #4

It depends on your style. If you think you're going to mostly hang very far back the 50 and 70-200 sound good for what you described. Although I always want a uwa but that's me.

-Adam
Wedding Photographers in Maryland (external link)
Gear

jackinavox
302 posts
Joined Jul 2012

Aug 11, 2012 23:25 |  #5

I'd suggest the 24-70 which would cover your wide end and medium telephoto. You can then use your 50mm for portraits of your sister and the groom.

The 24-70 + flash would be good for the reception too.

Good luck and let us know how you get on. :)

Candy Capco Photography (external link) | Wellington Wedding & Lifestyle Photographer (external link)
Follow us on Facebook! (external link)

jackinavox
302 posts
Joined Jul 2012

Aug 11, 2012 23:27 |  #6

Just wanted to add too... It's your sister's wedding, hope you spend some time being part of the wedding and not just capturing it. :)

Candy Capco Photography (external link) | Wellington Wedding & Lifestyle Photographer (external link)
Follow us on Facebook! (external link)

maverick75
Cream of the Crop
5,718 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined May 2012

Aug 11, 2012 23:40 |  #7

brokensocial wrote in post #14844609 (external link)
My advice? Don't rent that camera. Let the pro do his or her job. The single most annoying part of *every* wedding we've shot has been the Uncle Bob / Aunt Bobette who's shown up with the big DSLR and long lenses trying to get "personal" or "portfolio" shots. You'll be the jerk of the wedding from the photographer's perspective, guaranteed. If you're going to bring a camera, bring a point and shoot or a cameraphone and nothing else.

Then you shouldn't drive on the road, that's the most annoying thing for us mechanics. When people who can't rebuild their own engine drive on the road.

This is the ego crap I hate about photography, get off your pedestal we all have to start from the bottom up.

Rent the 5D, you'll gain a lot by using a full frame and I'm sure your sister will love them.

- Alex Corona Sony A7, Canon 7DM2/EOS M, Mamiya 645/67
Flickr (external link) - 500px (external link) - Website (external link)- Feedback -Feedback

Steve ­ of ­ Cornubia
459 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Aug 12, 2012 00:08 |  #8

maverick75 wrote in post #14846783 (external link)
Then you shouldn't drive on the road, that's the most annoying thing for us mechanics. When people who can't rebuild their own engine drive on the road.

This is the ego crap I hate about photography, get off your pedestal we all have to start from the bottom up.

Rent the 5D, you'll gain a lot by using a full frame and I'm sure your sister will love them.

I don't know why you saw ego and a pedestal. If you're going to use the mechanic analogy, then the situation should be Uncle Bob showing up with his rented Snap On toolkit and having a go at dismantling the carburettor while the paid mechanic is tuning the engine. I reckon the mechanic would be quite rightly pissed.

Anyway, it seems there won't be a pro at the ceremony, so the OP is all clear.

5D MK3, 7D, 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II, 24-70mm f/2.8L, 16-35mm f/2.8L, EF 1.4x TC MKIII, Nissin Di866 II, Nissin Di466
I hate being bipolar. It's great.

ScullenCrossBones
842 posts
Joined May 2009

Aug 12, 2012 09:52 |  #9

My advice would be to rent a 24-70 and a 70-200 and use your T1i.

A wedding day is not the time to try new equipment. That's true whether you're a pro or an amateur. Things get hectic and fumbling with unfamilar equipment will only cause you to loose shots. However, if you do rent a 5d3, keep the settings simple. Use Av or P mode (if you're familar with those). Keep the settings to what you know.

:p Gear
Mama done took my Kodachrome away...

ScullenCrossBones
842 posts
Joined May 2009

Aug 12, 2012 09:56 |  #10

And a 50 is not wide enough, but you don't need wide on a lot of your shots. You need wide for a few group shots or tight quarters.

It's fast and you can shoot quite a bit with it, so take it.

:p Gear
Mama done took my Kodachrome away...

Bakewell
Goldmember
1,385 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Aug 12, 2012 11:05 |  #11
bannedPermanent ban

brokensocial wrote in post #14844609 (external link)
You'll be the jerk of the wedding from the photographer's perspective, guaranteed.

I guess I wouldn't really care about the photographer's perspective. They're supposedly the pro so should be able to deal with it. I'd be more concerned with my sisters perspective and desires.

Dave

mikeinctown
Goldmember
2,119 posts
Joined May 2012

Aug 14, 2012 13:46 |  #12

When I was at my sister's wedding I took a crap ton of photos after the ceremony and outside where the poses were taking place. But... Once the reception started I didn't want to be near a camera and all I cared about was the fun times with the family. Don't get too lost in getting the pictures.

Also, the cost to rent a 5diii isn't cheap. between that and renting the lenses you could easily buy yourself a decent EFS lense or a prime. the flashes aren't expensive to rent, but the camera and a couple lenses could run you $300+ in addition to a very hefty deposit.

davisphotos
190 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Aug 14, 2012 14:28 |  #13

Rent the 5D classic. Yes, the 5D3 is an amazing camera, but the number of menu options and the new focus system will be overwhelming coming from a camera like the Rebel. And you could rent 2 5Ds for the price of renting one 5D3. For lenses, the 24-70 and 70-200 is a fine combo. I personally use the 35L, 50mm f1.4 and 85mm f1.8 for the getting ready shots, and the 17-40L on one body, 70-200 on the other for the ceremony.

Maine Wedding Photographer Andrew Davis (external link)
New England Commercial Photography (external link)
Andrew Davis Photography Blog (external link)

iMAGEN ­ STUDIOS
70 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Aug 15, 2012 17:37 |  #14

If you are not familiar with the MK3 it would definately be a learning curve from the T1i and learning the camera on the day of would be quite the challenge. If you are familiar with it, Id say rent it, use it, and have fun doing it and try to capture the best moments you can for you and your family.

As far as lenses, the 24-70 2.8 is a great lens. but id say if you plan on renting only one lense with the 5Dmk3, use the 24-105, it has more focal length coverage.

toolman21
Goldmember
1,027 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jul 2011

Aug 17, 2012 16:33 |  #15

I am going to agree with everyone above. If aren't very familiar with the camera then swapping to a completely different camera the day of would probably not go well. Just rent some good glass for your existing camera you are comfortable using. I have only done one wedding and I have a T1i (I might eventually get around to posting pictures for people to rip apart) and I just rented a 17-50 2.8 Tamron VC lens. It turned out ok, but even having a new lens on my existing camera was a bit of a challenge because I didn't know its strong points vs. weak points. In the middle of a wedding ceremony is not when you want to be tinkering with things, it moves very fast. That being said I would rent the Canon version next time, the Tamron wasn't as sharp as I had hoped (I have since learned the VC version isn't as sharp as the non-VC) but things turned out ok. I also didn't have a need for a longer lens because it was a very small place/ceremony and I ended up needing the 17 end quite often.

Toolman21 - Canon 60d & T1i (sold) - Canon 17-55 | Canon 17-85 | Canon 50mm 1.4 | Sigma 10-20 | Canon 55-250
My Flicker (external link) | Like me on Facebook to follow my He-Man 365 nonsense (external link)| www.heman365.com (external link)https://www.facebook.c​om …n-Digital/34796106523515​2 (external link)

sponsored links

4,019 views & 0 likes for this thread
lens choice for wedding?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.