Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
Thread started 08 Aug 2012 (Wednesday) 00:53
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Help a newbie with furniture shot

JMadson
34 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Aug 08, 2012 00:53 |  #1

I'm a cabinet maker and I just finished up the bookcase below. I added this photo just to give an idea of what the room looks like. I would like to take some quality pics of the bookcase now that it's completed.

I have a Canon t2i, the standard 18-55 that came with the camera, a Sigma 10-20 1:4-5.6, and a speedlite 430exII (without a remote trigger).

The room gets a lot of light from the left patio window. What is my best camera setting and light scenario given the equipment I have? The primary purpose of the picture would be to add it to a web gallery.

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
MIME changed to 'text/html' | Content warning: script

sponsored links
tushjain
Hatchling
6 posts
Joined Jun 2012

Aug 08, 2012 00:58 |  #2

Would suggest you repost the picture which is smaller in size so that one can look at it in 1 go.
You should definitely try to dress up the cabinet with books and artifacts for the shot. Shoot in the evening and try to throw some light from the right using reflectors. You could also try to use your flash with a home made diffuser.
This picture you've posted is a little grainy. Try shooting at a lower ISO. You may need to get a tripod for this.

Photography Tips to shoot like the Pros (external link)
www.twistedtripod.com (external link)

BoneJj
Goldmember
1,269 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Aug 08, 2012 01:27 |  #3

tushjain wrote in post #14829290 (external link)
Would suggest you repost the picture which is smaller in size so that one can look at it in 1 go.
You should definitely try to dress up the cabinet with books and artifacts for the shot. Shoot in the evening and try to throw some light from the right using reflectors. You could also try to use your flash with a home made diffuser.
This picture you've posted is a little grainy. Try shooting at a lower ISO. You may need to get a tripod for this.

this bold text......

--Bone | FSS (external link) | flickr (external link) | Gear list (external link) |

CSMFoto
Goldmember
1,178 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Aug 08, 2012 07:03 as a reply to  @ BoneJj's post |  #4

800x600 image's please.

Facebook (external link) | CSM Photography (external link) | Gear
I got some camera's & lens'.

PhotosGuy
75,885 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Feb 2004

Aug 08, 2012 08:45 |  #5

Sorry, but in the "Share" areas IMAGE POSTING RULES only allow 2 attachments by the OP per thread, OR 8 embedded (linked) images, OR a combination of both totaling 8 per thread. (Maximum 1024 pixels on any side.) You can always just post a link to more, though, or better yet, post a link to a gallery so we don't have to click on each image link.
Some exceptions are group threads, like "Show Me...", "Post your best...", equipment reviews, Tutorials, etc.

FrankC - 20D, RAW, Manual everything...
Classic Carz, Racing, Air Show, Flowers.
Find the light... A few Car Lighting Tips, and MOVE YOUR FEET!
Have you thought about making your own book? // Need an exposure crutch?
New Image Size Limits: Image must not exceed 1600 pixels on any side.

CSMFoto
Goldmember
1,178 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Aug 08, 2012 15:18 |  #6

With the link to your photograph, I find this image to be rather lack luster, and disorganized.

With that said, why not wait till this unit is complete to take photographs? (the wires and incomplete finish is incredibly distracting and unflattering) I would also take the photographs at about chest height(4.5 ft or so) and also be careful of the distortion on yoru 10-20, at 10mm the outer limits of the lens will highly distort your photographs. I have this lens, and it works wonders for architecture.

Facebook (external link) | CSM Photography (external link) | Gear
I got some camera's & lens'.

dg101
63 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Aug 08, 2012 15:32 |  #7

It also looks like you have a perspective problem. When you reshoot try lowering the camera and being sure the camera is level. The high angle and the camera pointing down is what is making the cabinets look splayed. If the camera is perfectly level they will look straight.

JMadson
THREAD ­ STARTER
34 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Aug 08, 2012 15:42 |  #8

CSMFoto wrote in post #14831886 (external link)
With the link to your photograph, I find this image to be rather lack luster, and disorganized.

With that said, why not wait till this unit is complete to take photographs? (the wires and incomplete finish is incredibly distracting and unflattering) I would also take the photographs at about chest height(4.5 ft or so) and also be careful of the distortion on yoru 10-20, at 10mm the outer limits of the lens will highly distort your photographs. I have this lens, and it works wonders for architecture.

RESIZED - sorry everyone

The original picture is a bad picture, taken quickly just for me to track and show progress. I would never consider putting that on a web site as promotional material. As I said in my 1st post, I only added it to show the room, layout and natural lighting.

The project is done and the room is now in use by the customer who is a good decorator. I'm sure it will look decorated but not cluttered when I go back.

ISO lowered, how low? I would love pretty specific advice on camera settings and why?

I also understand that it takes a skilled hand to pick the right settings depending on what is seen when you're actually in the room. But I would really appreciate some guidance.

Also, I have a good tripod and a remote shutter trigger.

gtrag94
273 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Aug 08, 2012 19:44 |  #9

Set up the tripod where you want the camera to be. Set the top dial to M (for Manual). Press the ISO button (behind the shutter button) and turn the shutter wheel to the left until you see it go to 100 ISO on the screen. There are two more numbers at the top of the screen that you need to worry about. One should be something like 3.5 or 4.0 or 5.6 or something like that. Set it to 5.6. Do this by holding the Av button on the back of the camera (top right of the screen) and turn the shutter wheel until you see 5.6. Now, set the shutter speed by turning the shutter wheel (without holding that Av button) until the exposure is correct. You can tell this by the light meter scale on the back (or in the viewfinder). There's a scale that reads -2, -1, 0, 1, 2. Make the little tick mark below the scale read 0. Take a picture. If it's too dark, slow the shutter speed down a bit (light meter will read something like +1). If it's too bright, increase the shutter speed until you like the results.

Pay special attention to the view from the viewfinder at the edges of the frame (and top and bottom). This way you can see if the walls and ceilings are straight. i.e. the camera back should be parallel to the wall you're shooting.

Why these settings?
ISO 100 will be best possible quality from the camera (can go as high as 400 or so without losing much quality and you won't have to wait as long for each picture).
Aperture of f/5.6 for sharpness and less vignetting without waiting forever for each picture (due to slow shutter speeds)
Shutter speed - whatever that combo results is fine if you have a tripod.

If you need tips with the flash, let me know. I'd try natural light first.

Fort Wayne, IN Portrait & Wedding Photographer
http://www.craigagapie​photography.com (external link)
http://www.facebook.co​m/CraigAgapiePhotograp​hy (external link)

JMadson
THREAD ­ STARTER
34 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Aug 12, 2012 12:04 |  #10

Thanks gtrag
That's the exact guidance I was looking for.

One more question...
If I know that this scenario is something I need to keep doing and improve on, what would be my next piece of equipment to purchase?

Equipment list: Canon t2i, the standard 18-55 that came with the camera, a Sigma 10-20 1:4-5.6, a speedlite 430exII (without a remote trigger) and Photoshop Elements 9

gtrag94
273 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Aug 12, 2012 12:47 |  #11

seems like a pretty good list of gear. When contemplating a purchase, figure out what you're lacking first. Once you want something for a while (for a certain purpose), you will know what the next piece of gear to buy is. Basic interior kit is body, ultra wide angle lens (your 10-20), and a flash. You're pretty set for now.

JMadson
THREAD ­ STARTER
34 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Aug 12, 2012 16:44 |  #12

Would you look for a second flash or maybe just a remote? Someone else mentioned a homemade difuser, anyone have a link?
thanks
Joe

gtrag94
273 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Aug 13, 2012 00:32 |  #13

Second flash is not bad, just more complex to set up your shot. Usually indoors, triggering the flash is not a problem with the built in wireless. That would mandate a 550EX for cheapness, 580EX for good all-around, or 580EXII for maximum control from the camera. You could use just a trigger, but a second flash would add to your flexibility. I'd search google for "real estate photography" and it will have plenty of tips for lighting rooms for maximum impact.

sponsored links

2,409 views & 0 likes for this thread
Help a newbie with furniture shot
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.