Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Transportation 
Thread started 29 Oct 2009 (Thursday) 04:01
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

The automotive strobist setup pic thread

Eric ­ T
566 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Aug 08, 2012 10:21 |  #2551

Master of Defenestration wrote in post #14784630 (external link)
Setup:

QUOTED IMAGE
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com …s/burnsyphoto/7​666947410/  (external link)
E44A1325 (external link) by BurnsyPhoto (external link), on Flickr

You should clone out the stands, this would be an outstanding image without them.

Canon Gripped 5D Mark iii x2 & 1DX | Canon 400mm & 300mm f/2.8 L IS | Canon 15mm, 16-35mm f/4 IS, 24-70mm f/2.8 ii, and 85 f/1.2 Mark ii | Canon 70-200mm f/2.8 IS II |Canon 580EX II Speedlite Flash | Canon 1.4x III

sponsored links
Master ­ of ­ Defenestration
Goldmember
1,307 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Mar 2011

Aug 08, 2012 11:16 |  #2552

Thought about it. If I get time, I might. :lol: pretty bad when I like the setup shot more than the actual shot.

Here's the other car setup:

IMAGE: http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8147/7670499172_57a2361cba_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com …s/burnsyphoto/7​670499172/  (external link)
E44A1282 (external link) by BurnsyPhoto (external link), on Flickr

5D | Full tank of gas | Box of rocks
Facebook (external link)

Eric ­ T
566 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Aug 08, 2012 15:27 |  #2553

Master of Defenestration wrote in post #14830874 (external link)
Thought about it. If I get time, I might. :lol: pretty bad when I like the setup shot more than the actual shot.

Shouldn't be too hard. Yeah, I saw that other shot when I browsed your flickr.

Canon Gripped 5D Mark iii x2 & 1DX | Canon 400mm & 300mm f/2.8 L IS | Canon 15mm, 16-35mm f/4 IS, 24-70mm f/2.8 ii, and 85 f/1.2 Mark ii | Canon 70-200mm f/2.8 IS II |Canon 580EX II Speedlite Flash | Canon 1.4x III

Goldmember
1,307 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Aug 08, 2012 23:18 |  #2554

Just for you...Quick and dirty (see: bad) cloning job:

IMAGE: http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8282/7744385602_6d5b85b9d5_b.jpg

Facebook (external link)

Guardsmanblue
Hatchling
5 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Aug 10, 2012 07:44 as a reply to  @ Master of Defenestration's post |  #2555

I took this photo prior to finding this thread, so I don't have any setup shots, but I will describe it as best I can. This is the second flash lit car photo I've ever taken so constructive criticism is welcomed. This one was shot in my driveway, the car is in gel coat (unpainted). It was shot with a 40D, 70-200f2.8L IS II lens at 85mm, f5.6, 200 ISO, RAW and max sync speed which I think was 1/200.

For lighting I used 2 YN-560II, a 580ex II and an old Canon flash that I'm not sure of the model number (it's from the days of film). The camera and flashes were all triggered with Yongnuo RF-603 remotes. I believe it was made up of around 18 exposures. I tied the 2 YN560's to the frame of a 9'X9' pop-up canopy via bungee cords, pointing them up and used some black foam to direct the light up into the canopy to avoid hot spots. Then using 30 or so binder clips I attached a king sized bed sheet to the bottom of the canopy creating a 9' x 9' softbox (not nearly large enough). I raised the canopy just out of frame to get as large of a light source as possible and fired the flashes at full power. To get the whole car lit I had to take a shot, then move the canopy back 8 or so times. I then attached the bed sheet to 2 legs of the canopy and set the flashes off behind the sheet to light the sides of the car.

I used a bare flash sitting directly on the ground to light the ground, once again taking multiple exposures to evenly light the ground. I think I also popped a flash off in the turkey pan to light up the hood scoop and one in the interior as well.

I put it all together in Photoshop using the lighten blend mode and then masking out portions of the layer I did not want. I clearly don't have the Photoshop skills the people here do, but it worked okay for my purposes. I can see a few of the wrinkles in the sheet reflecting off the car and I was having a hard time cloning out the mold lines from the headlight to the grill opening.

I think this setup would've worked much better for a motorcycle (we're giving it a shot with my neighbor's Harley next) as the canopy size would be just right for a motorcycle. I'm in the process of building a larger softbox with some conduit and better diffusion material.

Thanks to everyone for the wealth of information in this thread, I'm positive I'm a better photographer after reading through it.

Tom

IMAGE: http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8295/7752237294_c64c57c026_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com …/75977062@N08/7​752237294/  (external link)
Cobra (external link) by cbrdsm (external link), on Flickr

Goldmember
1,307 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Aug 10, 2012 11:52 |  #2556

:lol:

I don't think you're going to get much criticism on that picture, especially considering the setup/equipment used. People with much better equipment have taken far worse shots.

That's well done Tom.

Facebook (external link)

MizzouMan_2000
Goldmember
1,651 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Aug 10, 2012 12:04 |  #2557

Master of Defenestration wrote in post #14840556 (external link)
:lol:

I don't think you're going to get much criticism on that picture, especially considering the setup/equipment used. People with much better equipment have taken far worse shots.

That's well done Tom.

Agree. Excellent photo.

http://cisp.zenfolio.c​om (external link)

Guardsmanblue
Hatchling
5 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Aug 10, 2012 15:30 as a reply to  @ MizzouMan_2000's post |  #2558

Thank you both, I'll try and post a setup shot of the canopy light when I do the Harley shoot.

Goldmember
1,307 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Aug 10, 2012 17:20 |  #2559

If anything...you've put the bug in my head that one of those canopy things can be very useful. And they're cheap.

Facebook (external link)

96whiteknight
PERMANENT BAN
2,046 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Oct 2007

Aug 11, 2012 08:22 |  #2560
bannedPermanent ban

I was all excited about posting my first BTS shot in this thread until I saw the above photo. I think I'll wait for the next page. :P

Awesome job!

PhotosGuy
75,853 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Feb 2004

Aug 11, 2012 11:06 |  #2561

Guardsmanblue wrote in post #14839516 (external link)
For lighting I used 2 YN-560II, a 580ex II and an old Canon flash that I'm not sure of the model number (it's from the days of film). The camera and flashes were all triggered with Yongnuo RF-603 remotes. I believe it was made up of around 18 exposures. I tied the 2 YN560's to the frame of a 9'X9' pop-up canopy via bungee cords, pointing them up and used some black foam to direct the light up into the canopy to avoid hot spots. Then using 30 or so binder clips I attached a king sized bed sheet to the bottom of the canopy creating a 9' x 9' softbox (not nearly large enough). I raised the canopy just out of frame to get as large of a light source as possible and fired the flashes at full power. To get the whole car lit I had to take a shot, then move the canopy back 8 or so times. I then attached the bed sheet to 2 legs of the canopy and set the flashes off behind the sheet to light the sides of the car.

Nice work with that Snake! Don't forget the black hole at the top of the fenders.

Master of Defenestration wrote in post #14841660 (external link)
If anything...you've put the bug in my head that one of those canopy things can be very useful. And they're cheap.

These links have already been posted somewhere, but this is a good place to repost them: White canopy shot. See post #18: Valvoline bike by Orange County Choppers.

Just some people holding white stuff to reflect in a Chrysler 300: https://photography-on-the.net …p?p=9285903&pos​tcount=100

FrankC - 20D, RAW, Manual everything...
Classic Carz, Racing, Air Show, Flowers.
Find the light... A few Car Lighting Tips, and MOVE YOUR FEET!
Have you thought about making your own book? // Need an exposure crutch?
New Image Size Limits: Image must not exceed 1600 pixels on any side.

Clignoteur
375 posts
Joined Sep 2011

Aug 11, 2012 16:07 |  #2562

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: 400 | MIME changed to 'text/html'

IMAGE NOT FOUND

IMAGE NOT FOUND

Automotive & Event Photographer in Belgium
http://www.facebook.co​m/Unicornpics (external link)

Clignoteur
375 posts
Joined Sep 2011

Aug 12, 2012 07:59 |  #2563

IMAGE NOT FOUND

IMAGE NOT FOUND

gonças
"I just love these big butts!"
1,216 posts
Joined Jul 2005

Aug 12, 2012 20:31 |  #2564

Great looking bravo, and great shots. May I ask what light stands are those!?

> Canon 5D MkII
> Canon EF 50mm f/1.4
> Canon EF 85mm f/1.8
> Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8
> FlickR  (external link)

Clignoteur
375 posts
Joined Sep 2011

Aug 13, 2012 01:38 |  #2565

gonças wrote in post #14850158 (external link)
Great looking bravo, and great shots. May I ask what light stands are those!?

thanks, those are Jinbei JB 250's. $30, heavy, but they do the job, and I like it heavy for the wind. Also very fast deployable :)

sponsored links

1,303,651 views & 72 likes for this thread
The automotive strobist setup pic thread
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Transportation 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.