Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
Thread started 09 Aug 2012 (Thursday) 23:30
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Shadow/Highlight Adjustments

Sylvia ­ Q
99 posts
Gallery: 28 photos
Joined Sep 2011

Aug 09, 2012 23:30 |  #1

Not sure where to post this question. Just curious, on some shots I try and get more details in the shadows and highlights by dodging and burning and with using 1) image - adjustments - shadow/highlight; or 2) image - adjustments - HDR Toning. Would these methods be considered HDR? I am not trying for HDR pictures just extra detail in shadows and highlights using one of the above methods on a 1 exposure shot. I don't consider this HDR.

Used the first method...

IMAGE: http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8434/7657688850_407f3d84d4_z.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com …/19312899@N05/7​657688850/  (external link)
Chicago's Bean (external link) by Sylvia Q (external link), on Flickr

Used the second method....
IMAGE: http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8427/7750054664_a18b90daae_z.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com …/19312899@N05/7​750054664/  (external link)
Willis's (Sears) View (external link) by Sylvia Q (external link), on Flickr

sponsored links
Qbx
Goldmember
3,962 posts
Gallery: 49 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Aug 10, 2012 08:21 |  #2

Both shots show tilted buildings. The second shot has a tilted horizon as well. All can be fixed in PP.
To answer your question, no - dodging & burning and shadow/highlight work is not considered HDR.
Your Bean shot is pretty cool. I'd just straighten the buildings on the right.

-- Image Editing OK --

chauncey
Cream of the Crop
9,696 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jun 2007

Aug 10, 2012 21:54 as a reply to  @ Qbx's post |  #3

Why do you folks continue to use WA glass knowing that they distort images which must be then fixed in PP.
1st one...the exposure is off.
2nd one...poor technique, witness the sky and background.

The things you do for yourself die with you, the things you do for others live forever.
A man's worth should be judged, not when he basks in the sun, but how he faces the storm.

My stuff...http://1x.com/member/c​hauncey43 (external link)

Qbx
Goldmember
3,962 posts
Gallery: 49 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Aug 11, 2012 00:08 |  #4

chauncey wrote in post #14842543 (external link)
Why do you folks continue to use WA glass knowing that they distort images which must be then fixed in PP.

Attention everyone - sell your WA Glass - they create distortion which must be fixed in PP.
From your proceeds you can buy a pano-tripod head and take multiple shots with normal lenses the you can stitch them together in ... um PP ... er - Never mind.

Maybe it's because WA is the only way to get the shot without exposing yourself to standing in multiple lanes of traffic, or in a river etc. WA glass has its place.

-- Image Editing OK --

mattmorgan44
644 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Aug 11, 2012 02:34 |  #5

Qbx wrote in post #14843000 (external link)
Attention everyone - sell your WA Glass - they create distortion which must be fixed in PP.
From your proceeds you can buy a pano-tripod head and take multiple shots with normal lenses the you can stitch them together in ... um PP ... er - Never mind.

Maybe it's because WA is the only way to get the shot without exposing yourself to standing in multiple lanes of traffic, or in a river etc. WA glass has its place.

My thoughts exactly.

Maybe he was referring to using a tilt-shift lens? Not everyone can go out and buy a tilt-shift.

5D Mark II | 7D
24L II | 50L | 100L Macro
Some other stuff
Can't find a Lee filter holder? - Cokin Modification for wide angle lenses

mattmorgan44
644 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Aug 11, 2012 02:36 |  #6

chauncey wrote in post #14842543 (external link)

Do you want to elaborate on this at all?

Your second point doesn't help the poster one bit. OP, he may be referring to the horizon that could be straightened. The buildings will still be tilted once you straighten it, that is where photoshop comes in. It would be nice to get a wider shot of the city but other than that, I think your technique is okay.

In the first, you have a halo around the bean due to exposure adjustments in pp. the street and building lights are also blown out but you can't do much about street lights. The overall exposure looks good to me

5D Mark II | 7D
Some other stuff

C ­ Scott ­ IV
Goldmember
3,425 posts
Gallery: 592 photos
Best ofs: 8
Joined Feb 2011

Aug 11, 2012 08:54 |  #7

Definitely not HDR but you can get some of the same side effects, like the halo in #1, that are seen in HDR processing too often.

1) That is the first bean shot I've seen from the side. Score a point for originality. While you are burning, toning down or cloning out the bright spots would help, i.e. the light on the left edge of the frame and the white square and resulting blue fringe trees to the right of the bean.

2) I think chauncey was referring to the blown out clouds.

Charles
www.CScott4.com (external link) | Instagram (external link) | Facebook (external link) | Gear | Image Editing OK and critique welcome
"The single most important component of a camera is the twelve inches behind it!" Ansel Adams

Sylvia ­ Q
THREAD ­ STARTER
99 posts
Joined Sep 2011

Aug 12, 2012 17:07 as a reply to  @ C Scott IV's post |  #8

Thanks everyone for the clarifications and C&C. Went back and worked on the things that were mentioned. It's funny how I seem to miss obvious things until they are mentioned. Hope this learning processes sticks this time for me. :)

mattmorgan44
644 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Aug 12, 2012 21:38 |  #9

That's what's great about this section :)

5D Mark II | 7D
Some other stuff

PhotosGuy
Cream of the Crop
75,941 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Feb 2004

Aug 13, 2012 09:19 |  #10

"dodging and burning" work, but are not reversible in case you need to tweak the image later for a print or other reason. Layer Masks allow you to hide some details & bring them back later if you need to. Look at A question about sky and click on the Airport runway shoot link in my post to read more about them.

FrankC - 20D, RAW, Manual everything...
Classic Carz, Racing, Air Show, Flowers.
Find the light... A few Car Lighting Tips, and MOVE YOUR FEET!
Have you thought about making your own book? // Need an exposure crutch?
New Image Size Limits: Image must not exceed 1600 pixels on any side.

danpass
Goldmember
2,134 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Aug 13, 2012 09:26 |  #11

To directly address the op's question I see better range in the first method than the second.

the second looks flat in the upper 2/3rds of the shot and too HDRish while the foreground appears to have come out clean.

Dan
Gallery (external link) | Gear/Feedback

Sylvia ­ Q
THREAD ­ STARTER
99 posts
Joined Sep 2011

Aug 13, 2012 11:49 |  #12

PhotosGuy wrote in post #14851891 (external link)
"dodging and burning" work, but are not reversible in case you need to tweak the image later for a print or other reason. Layer Masks allow you to hide some details & bring them back later if you need to. Look at A question about sky and click on the Airport runway shoot link in my post to read more about them.

I do all my dodging and burning on blank layers using overlay or soft light blend modes that way I can use a layer mask if needed. So I can always go back and change or delete that layer without destroying the background picture. When I use the image - adjustment - shadow/highlight I always duplicate my layer because that method is not reversible. That way if I don't care for it I can delete that layer without affecting the background picture. Maybe I shouldn't use that method at all. But that is a good point to remind people of. I am heading over to your link right now...:)

sponsored links

2,479 views & 0 likes for this thread
Shadow/Highlight Adjustments
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.